Mixing speaker ohm types

Anonymous
I just purchased a Sherwood receiver 100 watts per channel which is 6 ohms, and two new 8 ohm speakers, I also have a floor speaker BSR model 123, which is about 20 years old, but don't know the ohms is it safe to assume it is 8 ohms, and I have a small bookshelf speaker which is rated 4 ohms.

Will I do damage to the receiver by running the BSR speaker and the 4 ohm bookshelf speaker in parallel? If I replace the bookshelf with another 8 ohm speaker - will 4 8 ohm speakers be too much for this reiever to handle?

The wattage on the 8ohm speaker is 150, and the bookshelf is 75.

I previously had a JVC reciever which did not last long there was no sound from two of the rear channels, and I have a feeling the 4 ohm speaker was to blame for this as I had a pair, but 1 blew out, and then further damage was probably caused, by only running 3rd speaker with no forth is this possible?

Carol
Please advise on my message, I need to know if I should return by receiver or speakers, before my 30 days comes up. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hawk
Carol:

Sherwood is a rather unknown brand to most of us--they really don't have good distribution in the USA. The only Sherwood receivers I have seen are very low budget with cheap IC outputs (e.g., Circuit City specials, 5.1 channel receivers for $99.99). Sherwood has a better line callled the Sherwood Newcastles, but I haven't heard them. What I have seen in the audio press has not been particularly kind toward the Newcastle line, either.

If you have one with the IC outputs, they tend to be the receivers that have very little tolerance for 4 ohm speakers. If your receiver is at a low enough price point, I would be concerned that the protection circuitry would tend to be rather minimal.

I an sorry I cannot tell you more. Good luck.

I recently obtained a pair of BSR 1550L, 5 acoustic suspension speaker cabinets. They do not have power input cords, but have fuses, a presence knob and sound position knob.
I don't hear any difference when turning either of the knobs and do not understand why there is a fuse if there is no power. Can anyone provide any information concerning these items?

Jerry
While not being familiar at all with BSR equipment other than I've heard of them, these must be old speakers. I am relatively young (28) so equipment of days of yore is only something I know about through Goodwill, old magazines, pawn shops, grandparents, etc., but I know presence and brilliance controls were popular on speakers in the '70s. I have not seen them on any speaker any newer than that. I bought a pair of Marantz circa '70s speakers recently at a garage sale with those knobs on them. Brilliance is just an inline volume for the tweeter, and presence is for the midrange. The fuse is to protect the speaker from over-amplification. If these knobs don't work then my first thought is that someone bypassed them inside, maybe for purity's sake. If you wish you could open them up, unscrew a woofer or something and see for yourself. It should be very noticeable to lose the tweeter or mid when you turn the knobs down.

I have '76 vintage JBL L166's and a Pioneer SX-1250... I'm thinking about adding Magneplaner MG-1's to the mix... Am I asking for trouble mixing a 4ohm with an 8ohm pair?... Can I do this?... Should I do this?...

Jerry
Probably not a good idea. 8 ohm//with 4 ohm is only 2.6 ohm, and that Pioneer probably can't handle that.

Unregistered guest
I have a yamaha 1400 capable of running 6 ohm or 8 ohm and momitor speakers satilites + center are 8ohms. fr + fl are 6ohms the yamaha should be set at 6ohms? are their any problems here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us