3/2.1 Formats?

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 56
Sorry if this seems to be kind of a silly question...

I've been looking through Highfidelityreview.com and have noticed references to 3/2.1 formats. Are they referring to two channel stereo with a subwoofer added?

I don't have a DVD-A/SACD player yet but I am thinking of buying one. There seem to be quite a few playback options contained in these reviews. Can't all of these players operate in hi rez two channel stereo w/subwoofer as long as the unit has bass management?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 783
Robert,

The 3 refers to the front left, center and front right. The 2 refers the left anf right rears and the .1 for the LFE or Subwoofer channel

2/2.1 would mean no center.

2/2 would mean no center and no sub

and so on

Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 159
Bass management can be an issue, especially for SACD. I'd say stereophiles might end up happier with 2 full-range speakers. If you aim for 2.1, I recommend to carefully match player, amplifier and speakers regarding frequency response.

I think most discs contain both surround (5.1 or others as explained by MR) and 2.0 tracks. In the case of DVD-A, stereo track may even be higher resolution.

I have one 192/24 2.0 disc, Hotel California by Eagles, and this stereo track is breathtaking. But the 96/24 5.1 track adds a lot of detail to the more complex songs.

Anyway Robert, there are many ways to enjoy hi-rez music. Some, like me, add it to a modest home theatre system. Others put it beside their vinyl players on top of a 30 year old tube amp. But most of us here have one thing in common: we have found it interesting and worthwhile to check out SACD and DVD-A. I truly hope you will too.

Good luck
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 57
Thanks Guys,

The choices and options can be confusing. Like, why call it 3/2.1 instead of just 5.1?

Anyway, I'm going to check out the new Denon 2910 this weekend if it is available at my local Tweeter store.

Silver Member

Post Number: 789
The 2910 should be a terrific universal player. More options than the previous 2200 and 2900. Good Luck.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 161
I just happened to remember a certain manufacturer's (cannot mention name, it's a four-letter word) sells a false surround system called 3.2.1. Maybe started a trend?

Silver Member

Post Number: 790
I don't know if the number/slash method is a general way of denoting channels in hi-rez surround recordings. I think maybe it's just the way www.highfidelityreview.com set up their description/rating system for their reviews.

BTW Robert, with the 2910 an 3910 models, Denon have upgraded the bass management and delay settings for SACD. I think that's a very big plus. Although it converts DSD to PCM to accomplish this, I believe the player still allows pure direct DSD for the audiophiles. The previous 2200 and 2900 (which I have) had no delay settings for SACD so rear speaker positioning was critical.

Arnold - you're right, they don't allow cuss words on this forum. But, I bet it rhymes with pony :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 212
hmmmm....pose maybe

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 214
I am considering the purchase of a SACD player, however I am curious as to the benefit of this compared to hdcd. Big difference? In the hdcd department I am considering NAD C541 and Marantz CD5400, any comments on these players?

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 163
It rhymes with Jose...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us