Marantz SR7400 vrs Sony DA50ES Q?'s

Username: Genesis471

Post Number: 1
Hi, new to the board and have questions. I am preparing to upgrade my system and don't want to be disappointed. Here is what I have and what I like listening to

Receiver: Sony DA50ES
DVD player Sony --- who cares I'll replace it!
Speakers: Klipsh (fronts/center/rears)
Subs: Yamaha and MK
TV Hitachi 57" HDTV

Listening needs: I like movies to sound good and am a fan of DTS tracks, but I am highly interested in SACD and DVD-A.

I have been eyeballing the Marantz DV6400 which will handle the formats correctly, and also the Marantz SR7400.

I would like to know if anyone can give me an opinion or comparison between the Sony DA50ES I have, and the Marantz 7400. Its sad that I paid $1000 for the Sony but no analog inputs are available and are necessary for SACD/DVD-A, (high res mode).
I am open for suggestions as well, and not necessarily stuck on Marantz.
I have thought that perhaps I should borrow a loaner from Definitive Audio here locally, and formulate my own opinions. If anyone wants to share there opinion on the DV 6400 I would love to here it as well.

By the way picture quality is important to me but sound quality is most important.

Thanks,

-Mike
Genesis fan preparing for 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' SACD, and others by the G-men!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1534
The 7400 should suit your needs fine. Do you have a budget for the DVD player?

Username: Genesis471

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,

thanks for your response. I think around a $500 for the dvd player, so the DV6400 fits nicely. I would like the DV8400, and I hear it is really nice, but at $1500 I'm not sure I can justify that much extra cost.

-Mike

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1553
I haven't any experience with the DV8400 so I don't know what I'm missing :0.
The DV 6400 is a really nice universal player without the dreaded chroma bug. At this point in time, it should no longer be an issue with vast improvement in chipsets anyway. I haven't seen any artifacting with this player. You should like it:-)
cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 79
I use the Marantz 7400 with a SONY KE 42XS910. I used mostly ADS 250CMS speakers with it. I picked up a Sunfire Jr subwoofer. The sound is great for my CDs, DVD movies and HDTV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us