Buying a new receiver....

Username: Lespaulman

Post Number: 1
I am in the process of buying a new receiver for my home theater setup. I will be using the Aperion 5.1 Home Theater speaker system with a 10" sub. I have narrowed my choices to 4 receivers: HK AVR630
Onkyo SR701
Yamaha V1400
Pioneer VSX 1014
I have demo'd all of these receivers except the Pioneer. I am leaning toward the HK AVR630 because it had a warmer more musical sound than the Onkyo or Yamaha. I will be using the receiver for about 60% movies 40% music. I have read the specs on the Pioneer and it seems to offer the most bang for the buck. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 125
Between the Pioneer and the HK, both would be good choices. For overall fullness of sound I would give the edge to the HK. If you are comparing features, don't forget to look at the remotes. One may seem more comfortable or easier to navigate with.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 194
Also consider Kenwood Sovereign line...I demo'd the Pioneer and the Onkyo and found the Kenwood to equal or better the sound of those receivers. It also is 5 x 120 watts all channels driven and THX Ultra certified. The remote is awesome as well, both ir and rf. This is a highly customizable receiver with a slight warm sound sound similar to the H/K. You can pick up a VR5700 at www.ecost.com for $480 (re-conditioned). At that price you save a buck or two towards other gear.

If Kenwood is not your choice I would go with the H/K
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us