Good In-wall surround system?

Username: Will_i_am_1

Post Number: 4
This may be a stupid question, but what is the difference between an integrated and a power amplifier. Also, if I have a component system with a tuner, amplifier, and cd/dvd plaver, do I need a preamp? Do the tuner and cd/dvd player hook into the preamp which hooks into the amp and them out to the speakers? Do I need a special surround sound unit after the amp to get surround sound effects? What is the best way to handle all of that?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 100
The receiver has a amplifier, tuner and processor. The amplifier has no processor (volume knob, bass/treble etc...and no tuner. The tuner has no amplifier and the integrated amplifier essentially is an amplifier and processor without a tuner.

Sounds a little like who's on first!

Username: Will_i_am_1

Post Number: 5
That actually makes a lot of sense... thanks!

So I either need...

a reciever (tuner/processor/amp)

or

a tuner + an integrated amplifier (processor/amp)

or

a tuner + a preamp(????) + a power amp

Can you run a receiver or integrated amp into a power amp for more power, or will that blow something up? Also, if you have three seperate components tuner, preamp, power amp... do you need something extra for surround sound?

Thanks,
Will

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 161
yes you can run a power amp and receiver...the integrated amp/power amp combo would not be necessary as the integrated would contain the power amp...you would not need anything for surround sound if you had tuner/preamp/power amp assuming you have power for multi channels out of the power amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
oh and the preamp would have to be multi channel too, not stereo

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Or you could just go with a a/v receiver as you mentioned
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help