HK AVR 325 or Onkyo TXSR601, which is best match for JBL and PSB speakers

Username: Mrcornholio

Post Number: 2
Hi:

I was almost ready to order an Onkio TXSR 601 until I came across an HK AVR325 for about $70 more. I have 4 JBL Studio series (2 JBL S310 and 2 S38 bookshelf speakers). I have a pair of PSB 4T for a second room on the way. Could you recommend which receiver would be a better match (for 50/50 music and movies). To be honest, a 7.1 setup is impractical for me, so 6.1 would be plenty. THX is also a non-issue. I would like something reliable, a receiver that could run for several hours a day every day, trouble free. Than's why I was leaning towards Onkyo, but some people really seem to love their HK's. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Tom K.
Unregistered guest
John, where did you fine the HK 325 at that price?

Post Number: 3
Tom:

Check Etronics.com It is 469.99. Do you think it would be better than the Onkyo 601?

Tom K.
Unregistered guest
It depends on what you prefer sound wise: HK is more laid back, Onkyo is a slightly brighter sound. I personally think (other people on this board will disagree) that as far as features and quality the two are very similar. I have gone over the specs and the differences are not worth going nuts over. I prefer the Onkyo's sound, but that is subjective.

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 25
I say go with the HK. The JBLs are a tad bright and I think the HK will match with them very well.

Anonymous

I have read several posts where people mention problems with the HK 325 shutting off. Do you think this is a common problem?

Post Number: 4
From what I have gathered so far the HK would be a better for the JBL's. My only fear is that several posts refer to the HK as running hotter than others. I wonder if operating at higher temperatures would cut down the service life of this receiver.

Several posts refer to the Marantz 5300 as "laid back", which I guess would also make it a good match for the JBL's. I have also heard good opinions from Hawk and others on the Marantz 5300, so now I have three receivers to choose from. All these receivers are at about the same price point.

At least I am down to these three receivers! Sometimes having so many choices can be overwhelming.

I haven't auditioned the Marantz yet, but will look retailers in the area. I am afraid I won't get a chance to check out the HK 325 in person.

Would anyone else like to contribute their experiences with any of these 3 receivers. Thank you.

Username: Dulyebr

Post Number: 4
get the HK 330 it has an upgraded fan. If you buy from jandr.com you'll have 30 days to give it try, but you'll have to pay shipping both ways.

Post Number: 5
Thanks. I'll be checking the HK site and comparing specs. I would expect the 330 to have added features, but it doesn't hurt to compare. From the responses to this and other posts I get the impression that HK is #1 at this price range. I wonder if the fact that there are several posts mentioning problems with HK receivers is due to quality control problems or because many customers purchase HK receivers. Every product line can be expected to have a % of units with problems, so product lines that sell a lot would obviously have more reported problems.

Do you know if the HK 330 also tends to run hotter than other units? I can always get an enterntainment center with more room between components, but would prefer to keep the one I have. I could also wire a small fan to the back of the entertainment center, just to make sure the added heat doesn't affect the other components.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 83
John: from what I've seen and personally experienced, the H/K quality problems seemed to be with heat dissapation and the fan on several of the early units in the x20 and x25 models, or just going into protection mode -- for no apparent reason. I have heard of no quality (production) issues in the x30 models.

I have the AVR-525. I haven't read or heard of any problems in the AVR-525 or AVR-7200 line. The problems with the fan and overheating were low in number as well. Some folks fixed the problem by giving more space to the AVR. My AVR-525 is atop a 5 shelf rack (which is LOADED!). It's an open rack -- I haven't used an enclosed rack since 1996. I run 8ohm speakers all around.

You will want about 6" of space ABOVE the heat transfer vents atop the AVR unit. You will also want to suck in cool air and push out the warm air from an enclosed rack.

If your receiver goes into protection, check the wiring, the speaker impedance and IMMEDIATELY return your receiver if it continues. Any receiver, not just H/K or Onkyo or NAD...

Post Number: 6
Geekboy:

Thanks for the information. Because of what you mentioned, I will forego the 325 and get the 330 instead.

P.S. During my research in this forum I found a list ranking Marantz above HK. What do you think about Marantz receivers at about the HK AVR330 price range?

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 84
John: for music, I'd place the Marantz just above the H/K. Marantz has done well in their Phoenix-like resurrection and are living up to their name. For home theater, though, I rate the H/K to be just above the Marantz. It's a hard decision, certainly, but if your listening preferences are > 60% home theater then the H/K may make more sense.

As we've been discussing alot lately on this board -- eCoustics.COM -- there's so much convergence in this "HT" receiver area, that there's not much to differentiate the "key" players (NAD, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, H/K, Onkyo). The differentiators are, not too surprisingly, becoming "features" not power. Still there are varied differentiators even within those subsets. I'd probably pick NAD or Marantz if I listened to music more. The HT Reciever I really want... if I were to chose an integrated receiver... would be the B&K 507. I really prefer the separates (Parasound Halo), but can't justify the cost. :-)

In any event, audition the Marantz 5300 as well. The only thing that's going to differentiate these receivers (Onkyo 701, H/K 325, Marantz SR-5300) is for you to listen to them yourself. Preferably with your own speakers in your own home (a home audition). Worse case, in the store with similar speaker setup with your OWN source material.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us