New HT receiver

Username: Soquij

Post Number: 1
hello everyone,

I've been in the HT adventure for 4 years started with pionner vsx-498 receiver (5.1) and jbl speakers, entry level system. I've updated my rears to mirage OM-r2 omnipolar and i've been on hold since then.

I'm looking for a receiver for home theater only around 600-700 canadian so around 375 to 450 us.

my receiver is not DTS right now so I do need to upgrade the receiver and get all the other goodies.

It seems everything is 6.1 and up right now. I've looked at the yamaha rxv-650, nice unit, 7.1 and within my price range.

Should I look for a better 5.1 model or dabble in the 6.1 and up models and do you have any suggestions

Thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 743
In your price range there is no point getting 6.1 or 7.1. With the same money you can get a better 5.1 system which is very sufficent for most rooms and ears. Of course most new receivers are 6.1 or 7.1, but you can use them with 5.1 speakers just as well.

Marantz SR5400 or new SR4500 could be nice picks. They'll give you great sound quality for the money paid. Also the Pioneer 1014TX is good value for money.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 30
I just got the SR5400--the guys around here talked me out of the RX-V650 & I don't regret it so far.

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 75
Eric,

One thing you'll find as a Canadian is that we are charged way more than in the US for the same product. For example, a harman/kardon avr-330 is C$1300 at Future Shop and as low as US$478 online in the States. The problem is finding sites that ship to Canada.

Visit borderfree.com. It's run by Canada Post and has a brunch of partner online sites in the US. Among them, ecost.com, etronics.com and www.cambridgesoundworks.com. These sites have a Canadian checkout which will list you a price shipped to your door without any surprises (GST and possible duties included).

Try a few different stores and models. Sometimes a cheap model will end up having $100 in duties and $125 in shipping, and another more expensive model will have no duties and $30 shipping and will end up being much cheaper.

Models to look for at ecost.com include the Harman/Kardon AVR 325 (a 40 lbs machine from last year which listed at C$1200 or C$1300 at Future Shop) for US$435.46 and the AVR 320 for US$389.99. Going through the checkout motions, I found the AVR 320 to total C$658.35 for my address. That's equal to C$572 before GST at your local store. The AVR 325 totalled to C$735.90

You can find some info on the older AVR325 here:
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_support/support_detail.aspx?prod=AVR%20325&s jump=&#active

Having said all that, Future Shop is having an online sale on the (smaller) h/k AVR 130 for C$500 instead of C$700 (free shipping), if you feel more comfortable not buying from the US.

Username: Soquij

Post Number: 2
Hello Peter,

I did have the information on Borderfree.com but i dont like the no warranty if you buy from an unauthorized dealer. Did you buy from there and did you take their warranty (Philipps)? We have to send it back to the US if something breaks. I dont particularly like that.

And you are absolutly right, we pay way too much in Canada from our receivers and other components.

This is to Chris, can you tell me what convinced you to go towards to Marantz vs. the Yamaha. I havent heard the Marantz yet. This receiver is for Home theater only

Thank you

Eric

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 77
Eric,

I had a short warranty from ecost.com (30 or 90 days; I can't remember) which suited me fine. Things like that tends to break right away or not at all. I also got mine factory-reconditioned and got an even better deal. I like having a receiver for less than half the price I would have paid here, but that's not even the way I look at it. For the price I paid, I would have gotten a much cheaper Pioneer model here. Paying full-price for the h/k was not an option for me.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 33
One thing was the claimed output power vs. tested power. Another was my impression from poking at some demo models. The Marantz struck me as a much better built unit; think Bentley vs. Chevy in the automotive world. Also from other users here describing the differences in sound from them; Yamaha being described as more bright & thin vs. the Marantz a warmer. That is more of a subjective thing & I've found I prefer a mellower sound.

So far I'm loving the Marantz. I'm literally pulling out the CD & movie collection to listen to stuff again. Even with my crummy old speakers it sounds great.

For me I was teetering between the Yamaha RX-V650 and the SR5400 & went for what seemed like the more quality unit over bells & whistles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us