Yamaha Rx V750

Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 10
I'm looking everywhere for a nice receiver to compliment my Athena speakers. On paper it looks very nice. 100 watts per channel and it has a device that calibrates the system by analyzing the room.

It seems to have a lot more power and functions than a H/K 230 and 330. Is this yamaha an "audiophile standard" receiver. And will this calibration device actually work or is it just a cheap novelty.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 749
First the calibrationg device, YPAO does nothing more than checks you have wired the speakers correctly and sets the levels which you can easily do yourself. The H/K's have a similar feature called EzSet.

Yamaha states power very differently. The 100Wpc is in reality something like 45Wpc, which is less than H/K. Yamaha advertises with the best you can ever get out of the receiver, while H/K gives you the lowest possible numbers.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 87
The Harman Kardon AVR 330 has much more clean, discreet power than the RX-v750. Not to mention much better sound, especially with Athena speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Will even the H/K 230 be better than the Yamaha Rx V750? Will the avr230 be lacking in any features since its cheaper?

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 92
Brian, the only differences between the AVR330 and AVR230 are seven amplifier channels versus six, the surround back amps are assignable to a second zone with the 330, and the power output 55wpcx7channels versus 50wpcx6channels.

And yes, as far as sound quality the AVR330 and 230 are the same. Most people would say that either one is superior to the yamaha RX-v750. The Yamaha has more features, but better sound is not one of them.

Hope that helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Bleustar, thanks for all your input. I have one more question if you don't mind. This is all a stretch for me budgetwise and i would have to purchase it cheap from the web. I wouldn't have the chance to test it.

Would you be able to describe the tone difference to me between the two? For example- dark bright, bass clarity, clearness. I currently have an old JVC receiver from the 90s and it is making my Athenas sound nothing like the Athenas demoed at best buy on a yamaha receiver. On my JVC they are more muffled with a boomy base. I miss the clearer sound (it wasnt perfect) from best buy. When I hear people describe the H/K as warm I tend to think that means more bass which means less clear and lacking punchy attacks, etc... Am way off base? On another audio site both these receivers received the same grade. Are they both very good and its really just a matter of taste...with audiophiles leaning toward H/K.

I like the functions and remote of the yamaha but if I would notice a huge difference with my speakers with the H/K it would be a no brainer.

Bronze Member
Username: Nm2285

Delaware

Post Number: 26
Neither receiver is bad. I also would prefer the HK. Yamaha's tend to be a bit thin and bright which makes them seem more detailed to some, but I see it as insufficient mid-range presence. The HKs are warmer and a bit darker, but not lacking in detail. In my opinion, bass has always seemed a little loose and boomy in Yamahas. They work well for movies, I prefer HK for music.
Also, the HK amp is superior to the Yamaha's, so it will exert better control over your speakers.

Silver Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 102
The amp section is better in the HK. It is more neutral or slightly warm. The Yamaha is thinner (not quite as full sounding) brighter and cooler. The bass is not quite as tight or defined. The Yamaha sounds more clinical and less musical to me. That is why you hear the words bright and harsh sometimes associated with Yamaha's midline receivers.

I agree, neither receiver is bad, but for music many would prefer the HK.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us