DVD Audio with NAD T-761

Username: Jay

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I own a NAD T761 received and I recently bought a Panasonic DVD F-65 which is capable of playing DVD Audio disks.

The problem I experience is that the receiver can only play DVD Audio disks in stereo mode even though the player outputs a 6 channel 88.2K PPCM signal to the receiver.

If I play the disk in Video Mode on the player, I then get a Dolby Digital 6 channel signal that plays OK on the receiver.

I have linked both machines with an optical cable and DTS/DD movie titles play fine.

Is it that the receiver is not suited for playing DVD-A signals using 6 channels?

Thanks,

Jay

Username: John_a

Post Number: 85
DVD-Audio players give a "true" DVD-Audio signal to any receiver only through analogue interconnects. If you are relying on the digital optical cable, I am pretty sure that is your problem. The T761 will do the job fine; use "External 5.1" and connect to the 5.1 input with ordinary analogue cables with RCA plugs.

Please try this and post back, if you can; I am thinking of going the DVD-Audio route myself.

Hope this helps.

Username: Jay

Post Number: 3
Thanks John,

You are right: DVD-A requires that one uses analog connections.

I did some more investigation and apparently the DVD player I purchased can play DVD-A disk but it only has left and right analog outputs.

Therefore, I will only be able to enjoy DVD-A in stereo mode and not in 6 channels mode. Apparently the other Panasonic model F-85 has 6 analog channel outputs.

Thanks again for the help John,

Jay

Post Number: 87
Jay,

You are welcome.

Epinions says your Panasonic player gives "2-channel DVD-Audio". This is new one on me. I think "2-channel DVD-Audio" is adding even more confusion to the term "DVD-Audio", which is already about as slippery as you can get: see the thread Receivers: What does"DVD-audio" mean here?.

Anonymous

I have the panasonic f-85. Is it best to connect using the optical output or the analog 6 channel outputs or do I use both? Right now, I am connected with optical only and front of receiver shows 2 channel stereo. If I do both, then what?

Post Number: 111
When in PCM mode, I think connecting with optical will give the stereo, two-channel version of DVD-Video Dolby Digital track - that is the same as the signal the player gives to a stereo amp, but digital. To get DVD-Audio you need to connect 6 channels via analogue. If you connect both ways, you should then select the amp/receiver input corresponding to the format you have selected on the player.

The above is a guess. What does the manual say?

Anonymous

Okay, I am a real newbie to all of this and so I hope you all will be patient with my questions. First off, the manual as far as I can determine does not explain anything, it just shows how to connect both ways. My questions: when I play movies from Blockbuster are these DVD-A? Does DVD-A give me better sound or does it split the sound between the speakers better? IF I am just watching movies what is my best way to connect? What do you mean by "input correstponding to format" on my receiver? AS you can tell, I really am a newbie and hope by reading your answers and other forums, I will figure all of this out.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 55
Anon,

DVD-A stands for DVD-Audio. DVD's with video on them (i.e. from blockbuster) are NOT DVD-A. It is totally a format for music. If you are just watching movies, the best way you can connect is by either using a digital optical or digital coaxial output. If you plan on listening to DVD-Audio disks, then you will need to ALSO connect via the analog 5 (or 6, whichever your player has) channel outputs, which go to the 5.1 channel inputs on your receiver. The "input corresponding to format" means that depending on which type of disk you are using (standard video DVD or DVD-A), you will select a different input on your reciever. If you want to watch a movie, you would select "DVD" on your receiver. If you want to listen to a DVD-A disk, then you would select "external 5.1" (or whatever the equivalent is on your receiver).

I hope this helps.

Post Number: 112
Anonymous,

Johnny is correct on all counts. Everyone is a newbie on DVD-A. The terminology is confusing - even the manufacturers do not say what they mean. If you buy a DVD-A disc it usually says "plays on all DVD players" which is true but not a great help to understanding.

See my second link on Jan 11 if you want to see all the confusion I went through. I got some flames for not doing my homework before posting, but you can't get any sense out of the information provided by manufacturers.

"Input corresponding to format" means the input channel on the receiver to which you have made that particular connection. Johnny I know has an NAD recevier and there the analogue 5.1 input is selected by pressing "External 5.1". Probably it will get named "DVD-A/SACD" or something like that when there are more players. When CD players first came in you were usually advised to connect them to the "Aux" input on your amp.

Anonymous

wow great explanation. thanks to both of you, Jay and Johnny.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us