First the receiver then...

Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 2
I am beginning the long and enjoyable process of setting up HT. Receiver first, then the speakers. Looking for some input.

Probably 65/35 Theater/Music. Receiver Budget $1000 (maybe $1300). Local dealers (outside Circuit City and Best Buy) carry Yamaha rx-v line, Pioneer elite, and Denon.

DSP section is important as it will serve as pre-amp in a couple of years, before moving to the bedroom to anchor that system. THX is not a must, though I constantly battle my inner-gadget-tweak. Component Video Upconversion is pretty important. Definitely need something musical.

I was a strong lean to the rx-v2400/2500 or the avr-3805 until I began reading some more about the pioneer elite line. I like the power of mosfet. dark horse would bprobaly be the hk630. Back in the mid-80's worked for a company that sold HK, but really thought they had sort of disappeared. ( I don't love CC or Best Buy). though I have some preferences, speaker choice will come after the electronics. I wouldn't want realelitefan to chastise me for mismatching my pieces!

I really value image and soundstage ( I currently have a pair of MA 700 Gold mkII), to the point that I am toying with the idea of trying out one of the Magnepan Ht set-ups when I go for speakers, though I realize that they are probably too power hungry and possibly to much of a load for the receivers listed above.

I am not adverse to net purchasing, though I prefer to support my local shops. I am <2Hours from Charleston, SC which seems to have some decent shops. Myrtle Beach unfortunately is just a bit bleak on the hi-end sound scene.

Post Number: 3
I can purchase a floor model pioneer vsx-45 for around $450. Is this a good deal?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 711
If it will end up as a pre-amp I suggest you concentrate on that part. In my opinion the new H/K AVR435 and AVR635 look like the best choices in most ways. Incredible DSP power, EzSet-EQ, Logic7 for everything you put in (even DVD-A/SACD), PL2x of course, lipsync, upconversion and so on with good full H/K sound.

Another good option would be a receiver with i-link for good future compatibility. The Pioneer VSX-56TXi would be a decent choice.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 677
Xsound,
Drive as fast as you can to that store and get the 45 before some other lucky person gets ahold of it. $450 is a steal for such a terrific receiver. I have had mine since Feb of 2003 and have loved every minute with it whether in music or movie mode. If you get it or any Elite model I will be happy to suggest a good matching speaker.[think Monitor Audio]. Anyway go get the 45. You won't be sorry for such a low price.

Post Number: 5
Realelitefan
I am well familiar with Monitor Audio, even though the ones I have are about 10 years old. I thoroughly love them. I even e-mailed monitor and asked if they could recommend any speakers in their current line that I could add to my current line-up to complete at HT set-up. never heard back from them. Don't have a monitor audio dealer anywhere near me unfortunately. Closest thing sound wise is B&W. Unfortunately to me the B&W 600 line are a little too dry and flat. Excellent imaging and frequency response, but not necessarily rich or deep. I really like the upper lines of B&W though.

Post Number: 6
Land- I will check out the 635, unfortunately the local Clerkit City isn't much interested in helping customers. Most of their receivers are on display racks, but not really able to demo well at all. The people don't know the merchandise or how to show you the features. It is really quite sad.

How would you characterize the HK sound? I know that HK has always rated their receivers pretty conservatively, and that they rate their receivers with all channels driven as opposed to most others. Do you think the 635 could consistently drive a very low or unstable load like the baby Maggies?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us