New cd player or tweak old one?

nout
Unregistered guest
Hi there,

I'm not happy with the sound of my cd player, which is the Marantz cd 5000.
It's fairly neutral, but a bit too bright in the upper midds.
The sound is also a bit too delicate, easy to distort; especially vocals can sound rather thin.
I'm using the recently bought Marantz pm 7200 amplifier which adds some warmth , control and refinement to the sound (many times my Marantz cd 5000 sounds gorgeous and is given a new life thanks to this amp), but I can do better.
For $150 (150 euro) my cd player can be tweaked by a store who puts valves in them and it will then go through life as a Heart cd 5000, but I don't know what it will sound like and how it rivals with a new $500 cd player. (Marantz cd 7300 or NAD 542)
Any suggestions?

nout
Unregistered guest
The tweak will cost $300, not $150
Sorry for that.

viking
Unregistered guest
Everything you've got is crap.
By a new set up.

Cheers!

arnout
Unregistered guest
mmm, a real charmer!

Isn't there anyone who can help me out?

Username: David_p

Post Number: 6
I am researching DAC outboards now. It seems that a good one is almost the same cost nowadays as a good cd player that already has one on board. I mention this only because I am trying to "tweak" or add now myself.

arnout
Unregistered guest
But do you think a good (outboard)DAC will be better than a new cd-player when both cost the same?

Anonymous

Without a shadow of a doubt!
A good outboard DAC is designed to be transport independant. Therefore with the right DAC a $50 CD player and $700 DAC will outperform any $1200 CD player.
The trouble with combined players is they have to get everything in under a budget. Compromises are made. An independant DAC has only to convert a digital signal to analogue and do it well.
If you have a half decent transport why buy something that uses the same basic components as you already own? Most $500 CD players are pretty much the same with only minor differences in sound especially in the mass market ranges.
Look to a second hand DAC. MF Trivista, TAG DAC 20, MF A3.24. There are plenty more but these are some of the best. All can be had second hand for about $600 or less. You've also got the advantage of adding in any other digital source just by plugging it into the DAC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us