Yamaha RX-V2400/2500 with Monitor Audio Gold 10's?

Username: Spidersweb

Post Number: 1
I have read through countless threads in this area and have noticed significant biases towards yam, hk, denon, elite, etc... so I understand that I get what I ask for.

Seriously, I would like advice from anyone who has matched a yamaha rx-v2400 with MA's. I am also considering a Sherwood Newcastle R865, Integra DTR-8.4, Denon 3805 and Onkyo NR-901. HK is not out of the picture, but I have no experience with HK.

I have a dedicate HT I am building in the basement (22x14) with a BenQ 8700+ and a Stewart Firehawk 110. I will be using an Onkyo DV-SP800 DVD/SACD Player...probably no ext AMP for now...running out of dough. Will primarily use the theater for movies and sports.

Please help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 648
Have you heard any of these receivers with MA's? As a MA owner I must say you are listing the brightest and thinnest receivers on the market to go with a speaker that is forward and a bit on the bright side. To my ears you are picking from the units that are the worst matches possible. The Interga might be ok but there are several other much better choices.

Post Number: 2
Okay, that is why I am hear...looking for advice. What are some complimentary receivers in the $1k-1.5k range (7.1/110w+). I am really open to suggestions. To your question, I have not listened to any of these paired with the MA's.

Two others that I researched last night are the Rotel 1056/1067 and Elite 55txi...both of which are stretching my budget.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
The Elite vsx56txi can be had from dynaco.com at $997. Perfect match with MA's. So is the Marantz 7400 or new 7500 which are $999 list.

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
G Young,
If you ever do hear the Yamaha and MA's together please let me know what you think. I don't want to give you the impression that I don't like the 2400; it's only that it goes better with mellower speakers like Paradigm. You have a pretty large room and the Elite and Marantz have better multichannel power by quite a bit.

Post Number: 3
Thank you. Knowing that you are somewhat elite-biased, would you recommend the elite over the marantz 7500...how about the 8400. I am willing to spend up to 2k if it makes sense (good improvement for the incremental investment). Also, what about the Rotel 1056 (for powering everything except the fronts) with a Rotel 2 channel amp for the fronts)?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 672
I like Rotel and Marantz over Pioneer Elite, especially for music. The 1056+amp sounds like the best choice to me, but the 7500 and 8400 are also interesting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
Please understand that what I am saying only applies to MA speakers. For MA I have not heard anything that sounds better at the $1500 and under price level than the Elite's, and that includes the Marantz. They are so close that I would choose betwwen them on features, appearance, user-friendliness etc. I love Rotel but they have a bit harder sound that doesn't go quite as well with MA. For almost any other speaker I would say Rotel is probably superior, just not in this case. By whichever you like best, you can't lose with any.

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 27
G Young,

Listen to the Rotel 1056 and beleive me you will not be able to listen to anything else after...maybe the Arcam models, what i'm saying is if your budget will strech to accomdate the Rotel unit you owe it to yourself to auditionned it...I did on many occasions and believe me...it's night and day you get a fuller wider more natural and complete soundstage, you'll hear things and details that you never knew sounded so good or existed. The Arcam model avr 300 sounded even a bit better but it's too pricy...but an Arcam avr250 is just around the corner.

If you need it now...I say the Rotel, if you can wait a month then I'd audition the Arcam 250 also.

(By the way my side by side listening was done with the Rotel 1056, Arcam 300, Denon 3805, Pioneer Elite 55 and the Marantz 8400 using Paradigm Studio series and B&Ws)

Let us know how you make out :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 656
Of course the Rotel sounds best with the Paradigm Studio's. Elite and Marantz are too warm to match with Paradigm. We are talking about matching MA's, not Paradigm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 682
"speaker that is forward and a bit on the bright side"

I completely disagree with you. The MA's (Silver) are imo quite polite and laid back. Maybe even covered and undetailed.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 65
The Rotel 1056 or 1067 will sound more open and detailed than the Yamaha, Marantz or the Pioneer. The speaker choice will only change the presentation of that. IMO I would stay away from the slightly thin sounding Yamaha with MA's.

But the real test is to try to demo these systems yourself. These are all just opinions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 661
landroval,
Compared with my previous Def Tech DR7's and the Paradigm's I have owned and heard the MA's are quite a bit more forward and brighter. That is not to say they are harsh like Klipsch and fatiquing. My MA Silver paired with my Elite vsx45 are a great combination. I like them very much and that's why I always recommend them to people who have Elite, Marantz and H/K receivers. I would never consider them laid back;that's just not an accurate description of them in my lively room with wood floors. Paradigm yes,MA's no way.
I hope those who own MA's like them as much as I do.
Bleustar,
You are so right. Demos are the only way to know the answers to any of these questions and a must before spending any money. Demos need to be done with the customers own source material also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
Maybe the PE is so ultra detailed that the slightly undetailed MA's go well with it. I bet they're not as good with H/K for example.

Silver Member

Post Number: 662
What the heck are you talking about? Undetailed? The MA's are some of the most detailed and transparent speakers on the market. I guess we hear things completely differently. There is no point argueing about this point anyway. We both like our systems and that's all that counts. Later.

Silver Member

Post Number: 685
This is interesting. I found the Silvers clearly laid-back and easy to listen even longer periods.

These reviews found the MA's clear, open and bright:
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/1999/9/16silver
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/MonitorAudio/ MonitorAudioSilveriSeries.php
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/MonitorAudio/ MonitorAudioSilverSeries2.php

What?!

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 32
Landroval, great research!

therealelitefan...you quoted "Of course the Rotel sounds best with the Paradigm Studio's. Elite and Marantz are too warm to match with Paradigm. We are talking about matching MA's, not Paradigm."

Elite and Marantz are too warm? I've heard the elite and Marantz with the Paradigm and they make a great combo...as far as the MA, they are great speakers and would be well matched with any good amplifier...such as the Rotel and even the Elite or Marantz, there are many acceptable set ups out there and it seems that these threads are discounting many wonderfull matches (as in amplifer and speakers paired up together)

Silver Member

Post Number: 665
There is no point argueing about this, but I think you will find most posters on this board who feel that Paradigm and Elite or Marantz are not the best combo. If you think they are fine then that's ok but for my money as much as I like them individually they just don't do well together. I just got rid of a pair of Paradigm Atoms for my kitchen beacuse with my Elite they are too dull. I will say that being to dull or laid-back etc is alot better than being too bright. Remember guys we are trying to give advice to help people spend their money the wisest way we know of and that's why I always stress being careful matching components.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 89
MA are a fantastic speakers, but like all speakers with metal tweeters have to be carefully matched.

So I also think MA Silver are awesome matched with Marantz receivers and wouldn't buy them with Yamaha, Sony...

The same applies to B&W for ex....

Post Number: 4
Ok, (back from a short vacation in Mexico)... reading the many comments has helped my research (thank you). At this point I am strongly considering the NEW Marantz 8500 soon to be released (any comments?). Does anyone know when it should hit authorized dealer shelves?

Post Number: 5
Another question. Assuming the Marantz 8500 (or 8400) with MA Gold 10's in front, Gold Center, MA S2's in back and sides. Room is about 22x13...I now need to shop for a sub. Not looking to spend a fortune, but like powerful/clean/crisp bass for movies primarily. Your thoughts are appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us