PS2 setup for 16:9 and progressive scan??

Anonymous

I've setup 16:9 in the Hardware Config screen when the PS2 boots up with no disk. Then, I play a DVD. When the DVD is playing, I go to setup. However, the TV Type is always 4:3 letter box, and the Progressive Scan is always set to off. There's no other option. I have a 16:9 HDTV with progressive scan. My PS2 is the new model with progressive scan also. Can anyone help me to make the DVD play 16:9 and progressive scan? FYI: My TV is Sony KF50WE610. Thanks to anyone who could help!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1397
check out the manual and this source
http://www.us.playstation.com/hardwaremanuals.aspx

Bob Simm
Unregistered guest
I am having a tough time getting my progressive scan back--I have the 5001 model, and a Samsung 43" DLP. The progressive used to work fine, but I loaned the unit to a friend and they had to clear the progressive setting--the instructions in the manual no longer work.

For whatever reason, I cannot get the progressive scan setting to turn on, and in the setup/browser after hitting the triangle key, there is simply no way to select the DVD 'version' in order to 'clear' the progressive setting.

I wish I knew how to fix this--last night I watched Farenheit 9/11 and the picture was quite poor.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Smokin Bob

Bob Simm
Unregistered guest
Well, for whatever reason, I was just able to go into the menu of the DVD/PS2 with the DVD in and this time I was able to change the progressive setting back to on!!!! ?????

I have no idea what I did but it all of a sudden works. Odd.

Smokin Bob

Wolfman
Unregistered guest
Bob,

Why would you watch anything Michael Moore? He's playing on everyone's desire to find conspiracy in everything. Meanwhile, he is counting all of our money and laughing all the way to the Burger King.

If you would watch F-911, you should at least go down to blockbuster and rent "FarenHYPE 9-11" by Dick Morris. This might provide a bit of perspective for you.

Anonymous

Thank you for the movie tip. I used to really like Michael Moore, I thought Roger and Me was brilliant work, and being from Michigan, have seen some of that firsthand.

But as of late, I feel he is less the objective movie maker and more of a 'humorous documentor'--I mean, just how reliable are his facts? And why so many 'partial truths' that we must use our imagination on? He certainly has talent, but has now become someone you love or hate, rather than grudgingly respect.

I am definitely going to watch FarenHYPE 9-11--I had heard of it some time ago and just happened on this thread and your post jogged my memory.

SB

Unregistered guest
Major PS2 to RCA Scenium DLP HDTV Hookup

I can't get my PS2 to connect correctly to my brand new RCA 61" DLP tv. We tried using the top of the line Monster component cables and the picture looks terrible. It is a little wavy on the sides of the screen and doesn't look even close to how good it does on a regular tv. I am a pretty savy at hooking things up, but I have to be doing something wrong with this not to get the picture to turn out correctly. Can someone walk me through how to connect everything and get a decent looking picture. It sucks paying all that money for a bigscreen and not get PS2 to work correctly on it. HELP

nocturne
Unregistered guest
I understand your feelings about Moore. He ruined f911 just with the humor and overediting. Though it is easy to see the truth in his work, the sensationalism allowed too many people to brush it off as nonsense. If any believe otherwise, set down the DVD remote and goto the library. Read titles like "Through Our Enemy's Eyes" and "Imperial Hubris" by Anonymous (former CIA exec), "Plan of Attack" by Bob Woodward, or "Sleeping with the Devil" by (?).

As for all the fret about cables, remember. Only 2 things matter to a signal: resisitance and noise. Other than that you must rely on the quality of your tv/stereo. No matter how good of a cable you have, it's not going to matter on a little onkyo receiver pushing your Fisher (Price) 5.1 system.

Unregistered guest
I have the same TV RCA 61" DLP and get the same annoying flutter when using the component inputs.

Have you figured out a solution to your problem?

Thanks,
Bill

Very Lost
Unregistered guest
Anyone know how to unlock the DVD Player on the PS2 console?? I wanted to watch Alien vs Predator DVD widescreen, but it's kinda lame to watch AVP on a 4:3 letter box. & I can't seem to find anywere that help you unlock the DVD Player on the PS2. Help Plz!!

Unregistered guest
press stop so that the dvd isn't playing. then go into the menu and you should be able to choose 16:9

if the ps2 is playing the video you aren't able to change the settings

wwmrtww
Unregistered guest
BRILLIANT, ive been scratching my head for weeks trying to figure out how to get the ps2 dvd into 16:9, thanks a million.

Silver Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 562
????

Anonymous

scph-70012 has progressive scan

adachan
Unregistered guest
Thanks so much for the information guest!!!

Anonymous

NOTE: Progressive scan only works with component cables paired with a digital television (480p, 720p and 1080p).

Unregistered guest
**** THIS TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIGURE OUT AND THE BOOK SAYS NOTHING ABOUT IT****

IF THE PROGRESSIVE OPTION IS GRAYED OUT AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT GOTO THE DVD MENU AND STOP THE MOVIE SO THE SCREEN TURNS BLACK AND THE MOVIE STOPS. THEN GO INTO THE OPTIONS AND IT SHOULDNT BE GRAYED OUT ANYMORE.

Hummus19
Unregistered guest
why in the world would they make it like that? in any other dvd player ive ever had at any time you could choose the output method.. and why would they make it that you can select the screen size from the internal options menu, then have to turn around and do it again from the dvd menu?

snyper256
Unregistered guest
What he means is.. "press Stop while the movie is playing".. not going to the internal menu.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if these settings will save? Or will I have to go through this setup the next time I want to view something as well?

Username: Viperpb

Griffith, IN USA

Post Number: 1
Hi,everybody. thanks for the info for the 16:9 menu issue for the ps2. I have widescreen 30" not hdtv just plain. Also, I was wondering about the widescreen dvd issue. I changed my ps2 to 16:9 and my tv to widescreen(the tv has a display for widescreen,4:3,subtitle zoom,16:9 zoom,14:9 zoom,super zoom). I play a widescreen dvd and still have the black bars. is there diffarent widescreen dvd's or is it still because i have the ps2 connented to a selector box and not to the tv directly to it. Hope, I made my question clear as possiable. hope, someone can help me. thanks.

Brendon Swann
Unregistered guest
Funnily enough I had the exact opposite problem. My PS2 was stuck in 16:9 and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to change. (I got my parents old 4:3 29 inch, I'm using it until I choose what projector I'm going to buy).

I've also always wanted to enable the DTS audio option, couldn't figure that out either.

The solution to both of these problems was to stop a dvd while playing, and THEN hit stop a second time for good measure (reset dvd back to start, first stop is more like a pause). Then you can change those pesky settings!

Talk about unintuitive. Manual doesn't seem to mention this either! Thanks a lot for you help :-)

Anonymous

I've found that a lot of DVDs proclaiming themselves to be WIDESCREEN are in fact recorded at a ratio of 2.35:1 rather than 16:9.

What does this mean?
Well if you're watching a 2.35:1 movie (Such as Alien Vs Preditor) on a 4:3 TV you will see the movie in a tiny bar across the centre* of the screen (*Thats how we spell CENTER in England; home of English). So basically you could call it WIDERSCREEN, because no matter what TV you own, without stretching the image the video will ALWAY be WIDER than your screen. Hence the use of black borders to make it fit.

If you're watching the same movie on a 16:9 TV the image FITS BETTER, however you STILL have black borders at the top and the bottom.

Looking at the rear of my PAL version of AVP it says that the DVD plays in 16:9 Letterbox. In my opinion the worst case scenario is a film which uses 1.85 ratio.

SO MY QUESTION:
For years we have had 4:3 TVs and when they finally brought out WIDESCREEN... why make it 16:9 and not 2.35:1 so we can watch our films without borders?? I spent £500 ($900?) upgrading my TV so I could watch my favouite movies without borders. The ZOOM features of my TV seem to work for now, but someone should make a 2.35:1 aspect TV.

Finally, my opinion is that the PS2 as a DVD player is convenient, but its not the best quality player I've ever seen. Besides without chipping it certain DVD-Rs and RWs won't play, which is anoying because I produce a lot of DVDs of family and friends which won't play at friends who utilise their PS2 as a DVD player.

Final note: Start selling your DVD players now, and don't spend too much if you really must buy a new one with the not to distant arrival of Blu Ray players. These discs will surpass DVD in quality, but it will play DVD discs too.

PS3 is going to be the first Blu Ray player.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 308
maybe

Username: Viperpb

Griffith, IN USA

Post Number: 2
Why don't they just make a product to be what it's suppose to be? like widescreen is widescreen or if it don't play this then it don't play this. hope, this makes alittle sense.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 374
because companys like money

Zainu
Unregistered guest
I have a LG DVD Player. And a Sony TV SW21M80 .Type is 4:3, Letterbox. Both the manuals says it supports progressive scan. I connected Y,Pb,Pr cables. But when I go to the setup of DVD and put the Progressive Scan 'ON', the TV starts flickering. Anyone can help? Pls. mail to wise_guy_in@yahoo.com .Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4286
Zainu,
Check your manual. I don't think that TV supports progressive scan signals. Just because it has inputs for component video it does not necessarily mean that it can support progressive scan.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 148
I think people will replace their DVD players in light of HD-DVD and BluRay about as much as they'll replace their CD players in light of SACD and DVD-Audio.

The problem here is establishment. DVD-Video is relatively young compared to what was the norm, VHS, and even what was the best, LaserDisc.

DVD-Video managed to be more successful than any other home video format ever devised. DVD-Video was also relatively historical for the fact that it was a standard agreed upon by a consortium of companies, therefore avoiding a format war when DVD was originally two formats: Multimedia Compact Disc (Sony/Philips) and SuperDisc (Toshiba/Time Warner). It offered something to people that was akin to what we were offered when CDs came out in 1983 (or 1982 if you were in Europe or Asia), and this would create an establishment for the format that may make it difficult for people to adopt HD-DVD or BluRay.

People do not like spending money unnecessarily so if they are expected by the industry to replace their current DVD players and library of DVD discs for the newer players and software, then the industry has another thing coming.

As for the issue with aspect ratios, 16:9 was a standard that was decided upon for HDTV.

Cinema, on the other hand, does not have such standardization. This means that you will still see some films that will be done in 1.85:1, or 2.35:1, or so. Or, if you have vintage films done in formats that make PanaVision look like 4:3, like 3:1 Cinerama or 70MM Super PanaVision, well ... you can imagine how it would be.

Besides, the suggestion to make 2.35:1 TV sets is kind of silly. If you do that, then you'll be watching 1.85:1 films with black bars on the sides of the image unless you zoom in and crop off a good chunk of the top and bottom of the frame (or stretch it sideways and make everything look squished).

The only thing I can suggest with your movie watching on 4:3 or 16:9 televisions is to simply get used to the black bars and take solace in the fact that you are watching the film in the way that it was designed to be watched in the theaters. - Reinhart

Martin Quinn
Unregistered guest
Yet another question about progressive scan for PS2 (slim). Progressive scan only seems to work for DVD play...not games. My TV indicates a 480i signal for games and a 480p signal for movies. Yes, I have an HDTV with a component video connection to the PS2. Yes, I turned progressive scan 'ON' in the PS2 settings. Any insight? Are games only available in 480i? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
hi i just bought a LG lcd 32" HDTV (the model is the 32LX1D) i have an older playstation 2 and i got the component cables. When i try to play Soul Caliber 2 or R.E. 4 I can never get it to work JUST right although if i fool around enough i can get it pretty good. Both of these games have a widescreen mode and both have progressive scan options at 525p. From reading another forum though i think i have found the reason why even when u fool around with the 16:9 option on the ps2 system configuration you still have space on both sides. The ps2 compensates for overscan. For those who dont have newer tv's overscan sux. Just think about all the games you've played where you couldn't see all of a particular health bar or something like that. If anyone knows how to fix THIS problem well they might as well change there name to G.O.D.

raiser
Unregistered guest
16:9 is the best compromise between standard 4:3 and the extremely wide 2.35:1 theater format. Unless you are watching a movie originally shot in 1.78:1 (the equivalent of 16:9) you will have some type of overscan (missing image) or underscan (letterboxing). Since movies and TV have historically been shot in every aspect ratio you can possibly conceive 16:9 really is the best compromise. By far the 2 most common movie formats on DVD are 1.85:1 (pretty close to 16:9) and 2.35:1 which is letterboxed even on a "widescreen" TV. As mentioned before these are HOW THE DIRECTOR INTENDED THE MOVIES TO BE SEEN. If you buy into pan&scan (4:3) for movies your image is cropped (often butchered) to fit your 4:3 screen, and it will often tell you that before you start viewing. You see more of the original movie if you watch the widescreen version with the letterbox, even if it doesn't actually fill your TV.

As for J Mac, most PS2 games that support Progressive scan have to be set to 480p IN THE GAME. Setting the PS2 configuration to 16:9 does not appear to effect any game or DVD software settings. For God of War, SOCOM and most Sony/SCEA games you can set progressive in the options menu. For third party games like RE4 and Soul Calibur you usually have to hold in Triangle and X buttons while the game loads. I know this works for RE4 as that is how I played the game (and it says so in the manual).

Not many games on PS2 support progressive scan, and 90% of the ones that do are made by Sony. I would hazard a guess that no more than 30 titles (out of over 1000) support prog scan, and that's including all the asstastic 989 sports games.

Username: Katfishgr

Dunno about ps2 and prog scan. But i just bought a slim, hooked it up to my hd 50 inch toshiba rear proj tv using the component cables. Picture is nice and clean. I did some research on the Gamecube because that is what I was originally looking at buying. It was for my 6 year old for xmas and Gamecube seems to have alot more games that she would like to play. Except that Gamecube removed the digital a/v from their machines in May of 2004. So there's only the option of standard rca or s video I think. Anwyay, during researching consoles, I learned that on the Gamecube, some games do not support progressive scan. I'm not sure if the same exists with the playstation 2, but I would assume so. This may explain why some games look like crap and some dont. The old Blitz Pro for ps2 looks awfull, but the newer Blitz 2002 looks tons better.

Anonymous

Hello, I have a Sony 32" HDTV. When you set the Playstation 2 to Widescreen and you throw in a movie that is 4:3 ratio or a movie that IS NOT enhanced for Widescreen TV's, the Playstation still screens the movie in 16:9. It stretches the movie! Is there anyway to watch a NON 1:85 enhanced DVD in the proper aspect rartio on Playstation 2.

For example when you put in a movie that is 1:33, playstaion stretches it to fit the screen of a 16:9 TV_which is basically the 1:85 ratio. Is there a solution to this? is it telling the playstation you have a 4:3 widescreen TV?

thanks in advance

ryan07
Unregistered guest
i just bought a samsung dlp tv. when i hooked up my ps2 the picture on the tv for the games is not that great. It was better on my crt tube tv. Does anyone know how to get a better picture?

Username: Xscanner

i have a ps2 slim and bought it in taiwan dept. store but i could not play any dvd. i tried to install a modchip so i can play copied games and it run but the dvd cds coult still not run and dvd option still doesn't pop out... i have a LCD screen but i think it dont have a progressive scan bec when i played GOD of WAR and turn on the progressive scan option the monitor just became black.. and as i played a DVD the ps2 says.." please insert a ps2 disc.." pls help!!!!!!

Username: Wagstar

I'm having trouble connecting my ps2 to my component video and getting the games to work. I think it's 'cause my ps2 is ancient, the screen is blank when the games are played although I can hear audio, when I play dvds the ps2 startup screen is blank, but once the dvd kicks in the picture starts and is in amazing quality. I tried plugging in my roomies ps2 and there were no problems whatsoever. This is what leads me to believe it is a problem with my ps2. Any suggestions short of a new system?

Username: Ju421019

Hi, I have a PS2 V 1.10 - from like 2001, and now have a LT26HVX Syntax LCD HDTV built in tuner monitor. I have bought a PS2 component cable, and am trying to determine how to fill the screen and whats the best setting to use, anyone have this monitor and using a PS2? I have tried even changing the PS2 system 16:9 along with the TV, along with the game, but screen does not fill and the quality of pic does not look as good as when I set the PS2 to Full along with the tv. Thanks.

Username: Dont_panic

I have an older PS2 as well that does not support progressive scan. I just purchased an HDTV and the picture is very poor compared to a CRT. Will component cables give me a good picture even though it is a non progressive scan PS2?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8540
Yes.

Username: Dont_panic

Post Number: 2
My HVTV is a Samsung and only has Pb Pr Y component connections. After reading some of the posts I am under the impression that the PS2 uses Cb Cr Y connectivity and therefore the component connections will not work with my TV. Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Username: Gulag

to the person who suggested pressing stop twice - a thousand thanks. i never knew this for years and now i finally know how to change the aspect ratio. kudos good sir.

Username: A1smith

A little more detail - I tried pressing stop 2 times and I still could not change aspect ratio or progressive setting. Once I also selected the clear function then I was able to change the settings.

Username: Vvetvvi11y

Check it out, I have a universal component video cable i hooked up to my PS2 and Wii. After stopping the movie, I couldnt get into the Progressive Scan mode (Its still greyed out). The switch on the cable didnt help either (The switch has HDTV/RCA) So i figured, what if i unplugged it from the Wii and see what happens...well, to my amazement, it worked. I have no clue why it would work but it did, so I can only assume that if you have a splitter cable or box hooked up to your PS2 and any other device, unhook them and leave the PS2 the only thing hooked to your TV and it should work. Wow, Sony has a lock down on this stuff, the only way to watch your movies in 480 is to disconnect everything else? Wow, talk about a jealous piece of equipment, maybe AVGN should do a segment about this crappy feature. BTW, the options saves.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us