Need cheap PCI card that records 16 bit PCM with RCA

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 41
does anyone know where i can find a budget line level card for ripping vinyl and tapes at full CD fidelity to CD using standard RCA line level jacks?

i DON'T need 24/96, multi channel or USB. i'd just like a cheap card that will work with my older PC as i'm waiting for a CD-R to arrive.

for what it's worth, i'm working with win98 on a 300mhz/128mb pc.

i've tried and tried to find a card using search engines, but keep running into dead ends. all the cards that i found either offer too much (4+ channels at 24/96 at $$$$$$$) or offered too little (1/8" cheesy jacks at even cheesier MP3 resolution!)

considering how "old school" 16 bit PCM is these days, it would seem that someone somewhere should offer a $30-$50 card for ripping CDs from line level inputs. everything i found seems to be oriented to tin ears or serious home studio owners.

i can't see the point in spending more for a soundcard than i did for my PC especially when i intend to invest in 24/96 down the road when i have a pc up to the task.

if anyone knows where i can find i reasonably priced "entry level" PCM card, i'd appreciate a heads up. all i found with alta vista was 100% garbage results.

Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 6
Hi. Down here in my neck of the woods - Australia - I've not seen a sound card with RCA connectors, just 3.5 mil (1/8"). Of course that means an adaptor every time. !! No quality diff. I imagine the ripping and writing program, eg Nero, has a great part to play in determining the ultimate quality. I may be stating the obvious ! Any luck on Ebay or similar. We have oodles of computer weekend swap-meets, excellent for that. Good luck. Laurie.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
actually, from what i remember reading, using adapted cables (especially with balanced inputs) does make a difference as different formats require different impedences.

as to "recording software" that really shouldn't have any effect on the data at all unless it isn't working properly or has some other feature like an eq. activated which alters the sound.

the biggest factor in sound quality should be the analogue to digital converters which do have sonic differences, most noticeably in the signal to noise ratios.

i just don't want to compromise with a card that can't do anything better than MP3 resolution. i DESPISE MP3. the fact that everyone is so gung ho for it so they can play their kazaa files on their ipods is probably what's keepind DVD-A and SACD which are even higher resolution than CD from catching on, but instead people are embracing WORSE fidelity.

hopefully someone knows of a place that might have some closeouts for older 16 bit cards. EVERYTHING is 24 bit now except for "pc" soundcards. pro-audio vs. home pc and no-one is covering the space in between. the cheapest cards i found with all of my attempts were all $100 which is too much for 16 bit only recording to me even if they can do 24 bit.

besides, none of those cards would work with my pc anyways. i hate planned obsolescence as much as MP3. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
by the way, i already have a stereo card with 1/8" inputs, but i wanted an upgrade to a pro-sumer or discontinued older pro card marked down.

Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 8
I wonder are we looking for "something for nothing"??, re the basic frequency response etc of what you're coming from, i.e. the lovely old vinyls (I've got hundreds!) and tapes. we can't get any better than the original no matter how pro. we go. That's the limiting factor. ;-))

Username: Magres

Post Number: 1
Does any one have any experience of connecting a freeview TV receiver SPDIF optical output to a computer sound card? I find the sound recorded rather "gravelly" for want of a better description! The (TRUST) sound card is fine when recording optically from MINI DISC.

Unregistered guest
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006069&cid=CC.344

i decided to look up cards like this for myself and ran across this blog.. thought i might show you this hope it helps :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us