Intermittant operation of mini USB mouse - any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 360
I have recently bought a mouse which fits to my USB, instead of PS2, which I always had.

My machine has wround 6 USB sockets, 2 being at the front. When plugged into one, the mouse started to suddenly stop working for no reason. Plugging it back in made no difference, until I rebooted. Using the next one down on the front, it worked well for a long time, now suddenly has started behaving the same, only this time, hotplugging in/out fixes the problem for a time, before it starts acting up again.

It is a mini mouse which is designed to be used with a laptop and has a very thin cable. It's operation is optical and it has a cable reel. Because the cable is too short to stretch using a full size PC under my bench, I have extended the connection, using a 3 metre USB extension cable.

If anyone can see any potential reasons for a USB mouse to behave this way, I would be very grateful for any comments.

Thanks in advance,

V

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 30
If you take out the extension cable? That could be the problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 50
There might be a faulty wire somewhere, the most likely place is at the point where the cable goes into the mouse. This could explain why it works for a little while and then stops.

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 54
Get a normal mouse with usb. Good mice are microsoft, logitech, razor.

tript
Unregistered guest
i have the same problem with the optical mouse that came with my hp.... damn thing freezes up all the time.... been doing it for a mouth then about one in ten times i get a msg saying my usb device is malfunctioning or not recoginized

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 228
Cheap mice do that. Hense "Hewlet Packard". I wouldn t use an extension for mice bro. Your dpi, or in other words the reaction time bewteen your hand and the comp, will be effected by an extension. Either get a mouse with a longer cable or get a good wireless. I have a Logitech mx 1000 lazer wireless. Works great. (I have a logitech mx 510, Microsof optical, microsoft optical trac ball, ) all work fine all have abnormally long cables. COnnections mess signal up, espcially if the cable is bad. lol. So yea. dont be a cheap a$s. go get a decent mouse if u want it to work like a mouse should. sub 20 dollar mice normally arent worth a penny. Id get a logitech or microsoft. or if u wanna game a razor.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1409
I'm going to get the Razer Diamondback Plasma! Not worth the wait for the +400dpi higer Copperhead to come out and be priced for tons more.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 229
Razor is 1600DPI, Mx1000 is 1000dpi. Razor is corded, mx1000 wireless, razor optical, mx1000 lazer, razor wired and light, mx1000 heavy, It took me about a month to get used to my mouse, I like the mx1000 the most, and when im playin lan matches on cs i use a razor

Gold Member

Post Number: 1416
What version of the Razer do you have?

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 230
Razer Diamondback Plasma *Limited Edition* 1600 DPI Optical Mouse . its 60$ from xoxide.com. this is a great site. I have a ratpadz gs mouse pad also. I just got my steel pad last week. Great site.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1426
Cool, that's the one I plan on getting. Does it really require the steel pad to work better?

Username: Soundmairman

Post Number: 3
I agree with the Tim's post. Microsoft, logitech, razor are the best you can find

Username: Oliverrichmond67

Post Number: 5
This thread is helped me a lot. Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us