2K for college laptop

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 448
2K for college laptop. pretty much lots of music, movies n' game swill be played. any suggestions would be great. can buy online or at store. warranty is a must. thank u :-)

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 507
Depending upon how much of a warranty you want, you should be able to fit a decent laptop from any vendor into that budget. Things that you will want though are:

1: Good graphics card, along the lines of a GeForce Go 7900GS or better.

2: 2 GB of RAM

3: Decent size and speed hard drive. If you can squeeze it into your budget, 7200RPMs is nice.

The other thing to keep in mind is not to blow your budget on a processor. A mid grade processor with a mid to high grade graphics card will wipe the floor with a fast processor and poor graphics card 9 times out of 10 in gaming. A mid grade processor with a fast hard drive will load things faster 9 times out of 10 than a fast processor and slow hard drive. Etc. This is especially true when the "low end" processor is something like a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo that would wipe the floor with anything out a year.

Silver Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 458
ok, any suggestions on a company or a model? preferably a warranty of a year or 2? i will probably upgrade half way through college due to the acceleration in technology these days. thanks a lot

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 515
I generally like Dell due to the customization options they offer, but it largely just depends on what the best deal you can find happens to be at a specific time.

Username: Jonebgood

Post Number: 4
I need to find out about DSL providers, any help?

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 982
I like Sony Vaio notebooks, good quality and pretty affordable

Silver Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 519
bump, thanks guys any other opinions?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 653
I have to disagree on Dell. I know two people who have had nothing but problems with Dell. One ordered a desktop, and took it to the tech support center to have a wireless card installed. Suffice to say, the components in it were so poorly installed, the screws in it weren't even finger tight. They loosened up and fell out.

My girlfriend has a Dell notebook, and that is a piece of junk. The "award winning" customer service team has been very poor in this regard, refusing to acknowledge the on site service that she paid for, amongst other things.

Never will I buy a Dell, and never have I.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 547
Anybody that you'd mention that is markedly better in the service department Gavin?

I will note that I haven't really had any problems with the Dell's I use here, but then again, I don't need their "service" either.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 657
Alienware USED to be, but they were recently were bought out by Dell. I am unaware if they are going to keep service departments as different entities.

Dell has caused nothing but headaches for my girlfriend. They have sent her notebook back to her in the condition she sent it out to be repaired twice, claiming nothing was wrong with it, this after lightning struck her parents house.

The motherboard blew, the DVD-ROM drive was shot, as was the hard drive. They then replaced the motherboard after the third try, and refused to replace the other parts in it, stating that they were "user installable" parts.

At that point, I said screw it, and had them send me the parts and did it myself.

Keep in mind it was at the end of the semester, and finals were approaching. She is now a chemist (chem major at the time) and had all her labs on the computer. Dell was very unprofessional, and unreasonable.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 658
My suggestion is this... Does it have to be a laptop?

The only laptop by a PC manufacturer that I think is worth anything anymore is the Falcon Northwest Fragbook, and that starts at around $3000. You pay for the outstanding customer service, hand assembled machines, and actual custom buildablity.

I myself have a mac, and have yet to have any issues with it. I have visited the local Apple store, and the Apple Geniuses on staff have always answered my questions quickly and thoroughly. Customer service is truly first rate.

If you don't need a desktop, I would still recommend Falcon Northwest, as you can have them build you a desktop that is well within your price range that will truly SCREAM, be easy to upgrade, and of course come with outstanding customer service.

Falcon will also be able to build a machine that works best for you on your budget, with features that you don't really need, and maximize on those that will be more beneficial, like Stephen was stating above.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

I recommend taking a look at the Talon desktop system if you really don't require a laptop.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 549
I'd definitely second Mac as a solid choice. I'm writing on one myself currently.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 659
"If you don't need a desktop.."

Sorry, that should have read "If you don't really need a laptop"

The only reason why I don't recommend mac as a gaming machine is that the titles are limited for them as far as I know.

I am not a gamer, and it suits my needs well.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 600
One thing I will say for Dell, they are fast at getting orders out. Ordered something from them this morning, and its already en route.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us