MAJOR Security woes

Bronze Member
Username: Nub2fta

N/a, N/a Canada

Post Number: 43
Hi everyone,
I hoping someone can help me out in what is becoming a bad situation.
I am a guy who is living my life, relatively low key...

PROBLEM: a third party has advised me that a nosy-neighbor is accessing/seeing what I/my network is viewing (content) on the internet.

QUESTION: CAN I STOP THIS ???

in passing, I've been advised that I could setup ssh/ssl. BUT, my real concern is the connectivity that takes place outside of my private network(btw, which is protected by WPA-2)

ANY IDEAS !!!
a)HOW CAN I DETECT IT? - I need to collect evidence to report it to the Police.
b)STOP IT FROM HAPPENING ANYMORE!!!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 521
A: Who is the third party/are they trustable?
B: How are they seeing what you are viewing?

If they have compromised your wireless router, I would change the admin password on it to something more secure, along with the password to connect. In the router configuration, you should be able to see which MAC addresses are connecting to your network. If there is something there that is not you, then you have a problem.

Bronze Member

N/a, N/a Canada

Post Number: 44
A: Who is the third party/are they trustable?
3rd pty is a trusted friend, they were able to provide me with intimate details. ex: I currently have a profile on a dating site - they were able to provide details even though my profile is now hidden/deactivated. also, I never used my name in the profile. Trustable, I would say yes.

B: How are they seeing what you are viewing? It beats me.... BUT, I do not think they compromised your wireless router. besides, I only switched to a wireless router 2 weeks ago. before that I had a Linksys - BEFSR41(which is a wired unit)
}

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 522
Could be something along the lines of a Trojan Horse (a program that someone installs on your machine that allows them to do whatever they want with it).

Do you have a virus scanner or firewall (or preferably both)?

Bronze Member

N/a, N/a Canada

Post Number: 45
Stephen,
I am running AVG = anti virus & anti spyware. I have Commodo & Windows as my firewalls. Finally, Processguard protecting my registry. I also run Counterspy, Ad-aware Pro and a few others that are in trial-mode until I find the right tool. Virtuemonde is the only consistent Trojan all these products detect..... I just got to find a free way to remove it....money is an issue these days. So, free is right up my alley, if you know what I mean.

btw I forgot an example of part B of your questions.... about 6 months ago. I was looking for a new job. I didn't think anything of it at the time..... but, someone hinted towards the fact that I was actively searching - coincidence, probably..... but there are way too many of the computer variety. I am on the verge or ready to wipe my hard drive & switch to linux. I've already taken steps to acquire a Mac.
Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1066
Most antivirus programs will not pick up the majority of trojans. You need a stand-alone trojan scanner. Here is a fix for Virtuemonde:

http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/Topic177468-29-1.aspx#bm177471

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 526
You just have to take care what you install on your PC. There are a number of trojan scanners available online for free, so there is always that bit of a safety net in case avg doesn't pick it up (although it should AFAIK). Most trojan specific scanners though should give you the fix for them.

One other thing you can do as a freebie is check your startup programs with msconfig. Check both the programs and services, things that shouldn't be there like whackamole.exe (anyone remember those days?) can be given the old heave ho.

Bronze Member

N/a, N/a Canada

Post Number: 46
Thanks guys for all your help. Any suggestions of a stand alone trojan scanner?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 529
Can't say I really use any, but I would check download.com and see if any are fairly well reviewed + current.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us