Turntable to computer drone noise

Username: Deanamite

San francisco, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
hi
i have an ION iTTusb turntable and have it connected to my 07 model imac. i record through audacity. i am using a klipschthx 3:1 soundsystem, plugged in the headphone outlet of the computer. everytime i want to listen to records i get this background drone noise and sometimes it really feeds back and continues even after removing the needle from the record. it is also audible on recordings and renders recordings low quality. i am not very tech and electro savy but willing to try things. can anybody help me out?
thx
dean

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15748
How is it connected to the mac?

Turntable drone noise is usually because of bad grounding of the turntable. But I don't know if this one is going to need that because it is a USB connection.

Try using a ground loop isolator for the turntable.

San francisco, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
hey bernie
thx for getting back to me. so the turntable is connected via usb. unfortunately i don't know what a groundloop isolator is or where to get one and hoe to install it, where?, apologies for my non-existent knowledge and thx again for getting back to me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15750
No worries.

How is the turntable connected to the outlet. Is it separated from where the Mac is plugged in or is it bunched in with the surge protector?

San francisco, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
yes, it is all in the same surge protector, all the computerstuff, external harddrive, airport, printer, klipsch and turntable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15763
Try to plug the turntable into another outlet without sharing with any of the computer equipment. Isolate the turntable away from all the other computer equipment except for the USB that you use to connect. If it is close to any speaker or sound sources, get it away.

The problem with that turntable is that it does not have enough shielding due to its plastic body and you will get feedback...that annoying hum/drone.

San francisco, Ca Usa

Post Number: 4
so now i did plug the turntable into a different outlet but the drone is still there. is it possible that it has something to do with the speakersystem? i noticed that there is a bass hum but after playing a record for a while the whole thing is starting to feed back and it gets a lot of computer static cracks and it just sounds as if there was a surge in the speaker system. my speakersystem is a klipsch thx, one subwoofer and two speakers which plugs into the headphone out on the imac. is there anything i may have to adjust in the computer settings??? thx again for all the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us