Memory... what is that?

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 72
Yes... i have 2 gig's ddr ram... no... i don't really need that much.

Username: Computerman

Post Number: 1
i have a 128 mb memory but it is too small for me. you are a big man who have a 2 gb memory on its computer.

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 104
actually it was made because some home desktops need that much power runnin through them. i got programs that use up more than 900 mb each and have to run a couple at a time. its a studio i have))))) if i didnt have that the processing would take for ever due to virtual memory storing info in my HD as it would on my memory. that slows down the processing and forces me to go with higher memory

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 193
Yes, virtual memory response sucks due to the actual latency rates because of physical hard drive and bus speed limitations. Memory is observed by the CPU through a very close address bus and the modules themselves have commonly 8 -- 32 ns response time. Then from their depending on your bus speed RAM virtually runs circles around the hard disk read/output abilities. It's a common misconception among people actually; people believe that buying more RAM makes their PC faster when really it's just lagging less :-)!

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 64
lol...lagging less = faster, so more RAM does makes your computer faster. Right?

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 48
More ram will not make your computer noticebly faster (after the 1 gig mark). Having 2 gigs compared to one will not have that big of a noticable speed gain, unless you are like elecgenius and use memory eating programsl. So if you are just surfin the web, or doing a lil gaming, id reccoment 1 gig. No more no less. But if you have the money to burn, then get a set of good 1 gig cards.

Username: Seanwoolf8907

Post Number: 9
more memory does not effect your computer speed, more memory simply allows you to do more tasks at once without freezing up, a faster cpu will make your computer run faster

Username: Seanwoolf8907

Post Number: 10
also 2 gigs of ram is a waste, u have an outragous amount

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 113
2 gigs is not a waste. All depends on what you are using it for. I have 4 gigs on my new fx-55 gaming server. Is that outragous?

cbb
Unregistered guest
I just need someone to tell me if a comp with these

Pentium4 3.0 Ghz 533 FSB
512 MB Ram
128 Gig Memory
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Will work with half life 2?
I tried doom3 and i play it fine but hf2 is said to be more intense graphic requires so someone tell me if i could play it thanks

Silver Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 114
Should work fine, you're even above the "recommended" requirements.
Here is a link for half life 2's system requirements:

http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Messages/minimum_req/index.php?l=english

cbb
Unregistered guest
hey can anyone give me a good link to buy some ram for a good price. Looking for 1 gig or 512 mb of ram for a compaq pesario Sr1426NX. Thanks steve

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 185
Outpost.com This is frys online store. But always remember that ram is one of the biggest causes of computer crashing and failure. I reccommend getting a good set of cards. 1 gig min now, mo more 512 mb of ram, that dosent cut it. Corsair, Kingston, Gail, Ocz, all good brands. SInce you get what you pay for I say your lookin at about 150-200$ for a good 1 gig set. (2x512) or about 200 for a good 1 gig card. Pc 3200 is a must, if its acceptible with your mainboard.

Turbo Cool 510 psu w/ 2 gig Corsair Ram
Amd 3500+ OC to .25ghz faster than fx-55
MSI K8N Platinum 2 Mainboard
Nvidia 6800Ultra OC AGP
Now over 2.4 TB HD Space

WERD!

mat128
Unregistered guest
cbb: Are you sure you play doom 3 fine?
Tim: Woh! 2.4 terabytes of data! You must have lots of money ;)

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 233
No not alot of money. its for my work. Im in video production for a career. used tons and tons of space. I notmally use anywhere from 50-200 gig per project. lol and hl2 is more intensive that d3. I play doom 3 coop online at 215 fps with maxed grafix etc. Doom 3 will run on most comps, slow or not, so will far cry. Hl1.Cs.Hl2,css are the most cpu intensive games on the market. So if you hear someones comp plays well on hl2, it will play really well on d3 or far cry

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 234
oh also, 2.4 tb isnt that much now adays. My buddy had 4 tb of SCSI hd space. And if you kno what scsi is you know im talkin cash. (A 180 gig scsi drive 10k speed normally runs 600$.) Hes in the Server rental buisness. But still its not uncommon anymore to have 1tb+ in hd space. ( My drives = 20 hard drives. Seperate partitions are great. Much easier on the defragging time.

Username: Bigtiger12

Flat rock, N.c USA

Post Number: 1
HEY I need help I have 1979 buick lesabre i just install a sony deck in ther but my car doesnt hav ea blue wire in this car.So I keep loosing my memory when the car is off so I have to keep resetting the deck.Is there A wire or fuse that I can connect this wire to to save the memeory in the deck...Can Someone help Me

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3508
probe the fuse box by using a tester and look for any connection that does not turn off when the ignition is off. you could also tap (it's crude and not recommended) into your interior lights. Again, all you need is power source that do not shut off when the the car is not running.

An th memory for your Sony deck should be yello or orange...not blue. Blue is usually for power antennas and remote turn on devices, such as an external power amp.

maybe you should leave this to the professionals?:-)

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 247
what?. Dude remote wire (blue is not to be hooked up to a power line bro.) hense remote. Is for amps. If you hook it up to power. Well all i say is u will have a shocking time. LOL. Either short your deck or kill the deck fuse. Since it dont have a remotewire to begin with im questioning if it even have a fuse. Your powere system is failing if u have your deck reset. Nothing to do with remote wire. Berny was 100% correct. I hate to repeat what people already said but hey, it it helps in any way ill respond. So yea, Blue=Bad on id say 90% of after market decks. now on a stock deck who knows. It varies by manufacture. Ive had gree,red, and white power lines and even red ground lines. So double check to make sure u kno what wire you are hooking it up to.

Username: Angry_dwarf

Post Number: 3
WHoa, leave the car stereo questions to the car stereo guys.. lol

you have the red and yellow wires reversed.
the blue wire is for hooking up an amp or other external-ish accessory. not to have power come in.

now, can someone answer a memory question for me?
I am planning to upgrade from 512meg of pc2100 ram to 2gig.
(I read all that up there about not really needing it for gaming, but i still want it)
I have 4 slots for ram, and want to know if i should get 2 1gig sticks, or 4 512meg sticks of pc3200. is there a difference or benefit between the two?

thanks in advance..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4432
What is your computer capable of handling? If it is designed with pc2100, then getting a pc3200 isn't going to do you much good. Get the 1Gig sticks.

Username: Angry_dwarf

Post Number: 5
i can put in upto 4 gig of pc3200 ddr ram.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4442
Then get the 1GB sticks.

Bronze Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 57
1gb is what i got

Pettitman
Unregistered guest
What is the direct difference? Anything better than "Get this!" ? It will cost me $15 more for the 2x1GB sticks, and my parents are paying for this, so i'm being VERY pennywise...

Bronze Member
Username: Zulkir

U.S.A.

Post Number: 19
wowo you all sound like nubs to me

Bronze Member
Username: Mikewhite

Amherstburg, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 20
LIES!!! RAM speeds up your computer amazingly. It is especially noticable if you uprgrade from a low amount like 256 to 1 gig.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7553
You go Mike:-)
Experience is a great educator isn't it. How is your PC running nowadays?

Bronze Member
Username: Mikewhite

Amherstburg, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
amazing!! the 1 gig came in, I was leery whether I bought the right kind but as soon as I restarted after installing it, there was a definite noticable difference. Not only can I now run multiple programs but everything, including startup is faster. There is barely any lag time whatsoever. In total I now have 1.18GB of RAM, is it true that anything after 1GB won't speed up your computer unless you're using memory-eating programs? Thanks alot Berny, if it werent for you, i wouldnt have a clue what the hell i was doin, thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Evadelparaiso

Puerto Rico

Post Number: 304
If you have agreat cpu you can have a lot of memory and you will be performance, but if you do not have a great cpu you do not see a great difference. The memory can balance the performance of cpu. But if you do not have a great cpu do not waste your money.

Bronze Member
Username: Boyce

Post Number: 78
Memory like your desk, HD is the draw of your desk, if you get a bigger desk (more memory) then you can put more file on the desk, save time to search the draw (hard disk).

Username: Vze4p6c2

Brooklyn, NY US

Post Number: 5
Hey guys, I think, and I'm gon' show you how, when you have 2 gigs of mem will speed up you comp. with 133Mhz. You got some programs where, it freezez the selected application, however does not remove it from the RAM and the next time u need it, it will not go all the way to HD and load the program 'cause its already in memory, its just opens it. Thats what I do with my 1.8Ghz pc with 2 gigs of memory. Tell me ur thoughts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10395
Rephrase that please.

Silver Member
Username: Johnner

Miami, Florida

Post Number: 997
Man you need Mem Ram!
I have 3gigs and do not have more because my motherboard does not supports it.

I have an Asus Dual Intel Xeon Motherboard with 2- IntelXeon™CPUs 3.00GHz Bus Speed of 800 over-clocked to like 900s and running over-clocked in the CPUs for like 3.6 has not crash ones in part thanks to the RAM!

Bronze Member
Username: Ars88

Post Number: 43
ram!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts