Help I am going to buy a laptop

Username: Misnger

Ormond Beach, FL USA

Post Number: 3
Hi, I am planning to buy a laptop & want some advise. I understand that the processor should be at least 2GHZ & 60-80-100 gig memory What brand do you suggest? Dell(I heard a lot of bed stuff) HP?Toshiba? I want one that burns & reads DVD & CD's. Maybe 17" screen size any things I should know first,
Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2326
Toshiba has a great 17" model. I forgot the exact number, however.

Sony also has one, but the specs aren't as impressive...

Only get HP, Dell, Compaq if you're desperate...

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 304
The Toshiba Satellite P25 is the 17 inch Laptop its got 80 GB hard drive 512 MB ram 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4 processor,, its a great Laptop if you have about 1250 bucks to spend an thats the price it is on ebay so i dont know how much you would pay else where

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 305
the only reason i remember this thing off the top of my head is because i tried to bid on one recently an thought i would get it since it was used but i didnt have enough to go as high as the bidding got LOL .. Link to it is below

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-P25-Notebook-Computer_W0QQitemZ6828069914Q QcategoryZ80214QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ormond Beach, FL USA

Post Number: 4
ok thanks for the input.

Ormond Beach, FL USA

Post Number: 5
I'm looking at the Toshiba Qosmio F25-AV205 Notebook I can get for about $1300.00
Any suggestions or comments. Anything I should get extra? Thanks In Advance for your help.
Here are the specs,

Intel Pentium M Processor 750 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
2MB
L2 Cache
533MHz FSB
15.4" WXGA
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Features

Processor and Memory:
Intel Pentium M Processor 750 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
1024MB DDR2 533MHz SDRAM (512MBx2)
Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:

100GB HDD (5400 rpm)
8x DVD Super-Multi Drive (Double Layer)
NVIDIA GeForce? FX Go6600 GPU w/64MB DDR SDRAM
Monitor:

15.4" Diagonal Wide-screen XGA display w/TruBrite Technology (1280 x 800)
No Bluetooth (Antenna only)

Product Specifications

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
TOSHIBA QosmioPlayer for quick access to CD, DVD and TV Playback
Processor and Chipset:

Intel Centrino? Mobile Technology featuring: Intel Pentium M processor 750 [1.86GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB]
Mobile Intel 915PM Express Chipset
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g) Memory
1024MB (2x512MB) DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 2048MB (both memory slots occupied at the time of purchase); Dual channel supported (requires two memory modules)
2 user upgradeable memory slots (both memory slots occupied at the time of purchase)
Mass Storage:

100GB (5400 RPM) Parallel ATA (PATA) hard disk drive; 8.0mm height; user removable
Optical Disk Drives:

Fixed Bay DVD SuperMulti Double Layer drive
Maximum Speed:

CD-ROM (24x:read), CD-R (24x:write), CDRW (10x:write), DVD-ROM (8x:read), DVDR (8x:write), DVD-RW (4x:write), DVD+R( 8x:write), DVD+R [Double Layer] (2.4x:read/write),DVD+RW( 4x:write), DVDRAM (5x:write)
ODD Interface ? Enhanced IDE
TV Tuner:

TOSHIBA TV Tuner
Region/Standard ? US/NTSC
Video-in ? RF, AV-IN (Composite/Line-IN)
Parental Control, Closed Caption, MacroVision,
CGMSA ? Yes
TV Tuner Enhancements: 3D Y/C separator, Digital Noise Reduction, 10bit AD convert, Digital Noise reduction, Time base corrector, Resolution (720x480) Display
TOSHIBA TruBrite ? 15.4? diagonal widescreen TFT activematrix
LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
Contrast Ratio: 200:1
Brightness: 200 cd/m2
Viewing Angle: Horizontal ? (120 degrees); Vertical ? (900 degrees)
Brightness Control: FN+F6/F7 Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce? 6 GO 6600 with 64MB DDR SDRAM VRAM
2D Graphic Accelerator
3D Graphic Accelerator
DirectX7 API, DirectX8 API , DirectX API
Digital Video Accelerator
YUV-RGB Conversion, Motion Competition, iDCT, De-interlace
Bi-Linear LCD Stretch
PCI Express x16 interface
Internal LCD Support Resolution - 1280 x 800 WXGA Sound
AC-Link, AnalogDevices AD1981B, AC'97 Rev2.2 compatible
16-bit stereo
Built-in Harman/Kardon stereo speakers
Full Duplex Support, MIDI (playback) Support, DirectSound, Direct 3D Sound;Direct Music
Sound Volume Control Dial
Toshiba Audio Enhancements supporting SRS TruSurround XT, SRS WOW9
Sound Ports:

External Microphone (monaural)
Headphone (stereo), Video in (via Composite with Audio), S/P DIF (shared with headphone)
Input Devices:

Keyboard: 85 key US keyboard; Hot Key Functions (FN); please see electronic User?s Guide for more information; Windows Key Function; Application Key Function
Pointing Device: TouchPad?; Scroll Function controlled by software
Others:

Toshiba Remote Control
TOSHIBA Assist (TOSHIBA Console Button)
CD Control Function - Skip to Previous Track, Play, Stop, Skip t Next Track, CD Power
Expandability:

2 user upgradeable memory slots (both memory slots occupied at the time of purchase)
1 PC Card slot support 1 Type II, PCMCIA R2.01, PC Card16,
Bridge Media Adapter slot
Secure Digital (SD-IO support), Memory Stick?, Memory Stick Pro, xD picture card, MultiMediaCard
Communications:

Integrated V.92 modem10
Intel 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet controller
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g)11
Ports:

RGB (monitor) port
3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports (v2.0)
S-Video TV-Out port
RJ-45 LAN port
RJ-11 modem port
i.Link 1394
S/P DIF (shared with headphone)

Username: Dfalliaux

Aurora , Colorado US

Post Number: 2
Nice post, I'm in the same boat...How is Cnet and their reviews??? Are they accurate, I can't seem to find many educated consumer resources concerning notebooks. Consumer reports is great but is way too limited etc. Any tips? I own a Dell inpiron 8100, been awesome for almost five years now, thinking of sticking with Dell, any thoughts?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2536
Exactly! That's the horror of reveiws-they're highly innaccurate! Dell isn't terrible, but Toshiba is still a great competitor.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4635
I have 3 dell's and they all work great.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2539
But that comes at a severe restriction. They use PCchips mobos and anyone computer literate knows PCchips mobos=trash. Dell does many things to cut costs and just aren't worth it.

Bronze Member
Username: Curious

Post Number: 55
Hey guys need some advice to. thinking of getting the apple pro powerbook the one witht the 15.4 inch screen is it worth the money or no i will be going to college soon so is really worth the couple of grand.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2757
Macintosh makes really good quality notebooks, but the price is a little too much in my opinion. What is more important, however, is how you feel about the operating system. I personally can't stand Mac's OS. I use multiple G5's and a few G4's during the day, and they freeze much more often than a Window's based system ever would. Additionally, the system's ease of use is only superficial. If you need to get to a more complex option, it's more difficult to find than a Windows system. Not to mention compatibility issues and expensive parts/accessories.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
so jexx what do you suggest my mom said my choices are sony, mac,toshiba, no hp,no dell, i dont no about gate way but what does it mean when it says the make has the intel chip is it like windows then.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2761
Sony and Toshiba are your best choices. Gateway is pretty bad. I'm glad you aren't considering HP/Compaq or Dell because they are trash.

In my experience, Sony has a really nice design and the casing is high quality. The drawback to that is they are more expensive-they charge for appearance. Also check for their RAM speeds-they try to cover up slow RAM by providing more of it. Toshiba is my favorite out of the experience I've had with multiple laptops. They have great quality casing and most of the time their specs beat Sony's in the same price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
So what toshiba do you recommend for a college student.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2766
What is your price range? Are you willing to buy from ebay?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
no more than 2000 bucks and a laptop off ebay is to risky i have purchased other things off of ebay though

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2780
Check these out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=cat15157&type=category

And these:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=cat15200&type=category

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
thanks jexx i think it will be between the sony and the mac. Thanks for all the help with the head unit and the notebook
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us