Cold start up problems

Username: Piip

Post Number: 1
I'm wondering if anyone might have some advice about a Gateway desktop computer, 5 years old, which does not boot up properly on a cold start (takes about 20 minutes and countless tries to finally start). The operating system is Windows Millennium, and I've reinstalled the entire system, still with no solution. Even in safe mode, it does not start correctly...it's as if it has trouble going through all the boot procedures in one start, so it does it bit by bit. It freezes/hangs either at the Windows intro screen, on the black screen, or during the start of Windows. Sometimes it will give me the option to boot in Safe mode, saying that the device drivers failed to load on the last start up. Eventually, after forcing it to shut down about 30 times, it finally loads in normal-ish mode. This happens ONLY on a cold start -- I can restart the computer after it's been on with no problem. I've tried disabling nonessential hardware; I've tried selective startup, disabling EVERYTHING; i've even tried checking some of the boxes under "advanced" in msconfig, as per the recommendation of the Gateway website. Any ideas why this might be occurring? This just began to happen spontaneously a few months ago... PLEASE help! THANK YOU.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2365
It sounds like you finally lost your hard drive.The power supply would also be worth checking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us