Any problems with this spec?

rik1972
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

Im in the process of getting information and prices together for my first attempt at building a pc. No matter how much i read that these components are decent and should be compatable, i still feel i could do with a little reassurance and advice on any isuues that people may be aware of.

what i am looking at:-

Video = xfx geforce 7800gt
Processor = AMD64 3200+ 1000mhz
Motherboard = asus a8n-8 nf4
RAM = OCZplat 2-2-2-5 2x512mb
HD = WD caviar SE sata

Im assuming these components will work well together...anyone had any good/bad/indifferent experiences with this setup or similar?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments

rik1972
Unregistered guest
oops , sorry missed out that the processor is a socket 939. Also a typo on the motherboard...should be asus a8n-e nf4 - sorry!

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 327
Ok well all the specs are wrong. The amd 3200+ is normally around 2.2 ghz. not 1000 mhz (which is 1 ghz). unless you get a pci express motherboard the 7800gt will not work. it is pci-express only, and since most boards within a decent price range are only agp sill, it wont work.I havent checked the board you listed to see if its pci-e or agp, but you might want to check. Research a lil more.

The point that you said the 3200+ wash 1 ghz scares me. Make sure you know exactly what your getting yourself into. You might be best buying like a dell xps or alienware since you want a high quality comp.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 328
O and whats the point in having that expensive of a video care, when the cpu is at most marginal. It dosent make sence to have a ferrari with a 4 cylinder honda civic engine. it will look fast, but run like @ss. The same with computers. If you want to have a fast comp, everything has to be fastm not just a few components here or there.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 329
card* lol sorry about all the typos

rik1972
Unregistered guest
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your input.

To be more precise with the processor info:-

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 2.0 GHz (ADA3200BPBOX) AMD Processor in a Box (PIB)
Processor, 512 KB Cache Memory, For Socket 939, 1000 MHz Bus Speed, For PC Platforms - from what ive read this can be overclocked fairly comfortably to 2.7ghz. I know about the 64x2 and FX, but surely this is still a decent processor?

The motherboardboard does have pci-express so the 7800gt should be ok. I was originally looking at the 6800gt, but to be honest for an extra £35 i thought may as well go 1 step up. The extra £35 doesnt include VAT, but since i will be buying it through a business i dont need to worry about VAT. Also i felt 16 pixel pipelines as opposed to 8 would benefit my online gaming experience ?

The ram, yes i may be a little over the top insisting on a low CL rating, as i realise that there is only a 5% performance increase from cl3 to cl2, but at £83 (exc VAT) it seemed worth it.

My biggest worry to all of this was buying quality components and then realising that i had overlooked something and ending up with incompatable parts. As long as you cant see any technical issues , im happy:-)

Again , thanks for help.
Rik

rik1972
Unregistered guest
oops , the pipeline info on the 6800gt was wrong..here this will make it easier

(after previewing this, i can see the table hasnt come out right! The first reading is for the 6800ultra the second for the 7800)

Architecture NV4x G70
Manufacture Process 0.13nm 0.11nm
Transistor Count 220M 302M
Pixel Pipelines 16 20
Vertex Pipelines 6 7
Core Clock (MHz) 400 400
Fillrate (Megapixels)6400 6400
Memory Clock (MHz) 1100 1000
Memory Interface 256-bit 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/s) 35.2 32.0
Memory Size (MB) 256 256

I know ive used the 6800ultra instead of the GT, but it was the quickest thing i found..id assume the 6800Gt would be slightly lesser than the ultra anyway.

So for me it came down to spending £35 more to move up from the 6800 to the 7800.And just to confirm i am a heavy online gamer another reason i thought the 7800 would be the way to go.
Rik

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 336
The 6800gt is way less than the ultra. The ultra also is a 2 slot card, meaning it blocks a pci slot.
I have my 3500+ 64 athlon running at 3.3 ghz. Its a bit unstable, but on the other hand I havent had any problems with this since I run a water cooled setup. The 3200+ is a good cpu. But since you want to run a 7800 id get a 3500+. Its only a tad bit more in cost, and is capable of being faster than the fx-55 is overclocked right. On the other hand you would be ok gettin a faster vid card, and keep the slower 3200+. and then upgrade later to a faster cpu, but normally id say go with a faster cpu, then upgrade your video card later, since the cpu has the greatest impact on how it will run. Also i wouldnt get the 512 mb 3200+. The nice thing about the 3200+ is you can find it in 1mb cache, which makes a world of difference.
if you got the 3200+ wityh a 1 mb cache, it would pair up nicely with the 7800gt, since the extra cache makes up for the slower clock speed. I get 200fps on all maps in cs:s except on the map de_inferno. mind me this is not cs 1.6, its counter-strike source, which is a whole lot more cpu and vid card demanding. Id say get a 6800 ultra pci-express card. and use the left over money to up the cpu to a 3500+. ONe thing tho. Your powersource, you cant get a cheap one now, if u get that setup. I run the TurboCool 510 delux. its the only psu in my experience thats handles such a power demanding system. These run about 200$ in the USA. so maybe gettin the 6800ultra and gettin a good powersource might make sence. You just have to look at the whole picture. A computer will only be as good as its powersource. :-)
sounds goo tho. I Like to see people that research. Shows they want to learn and definately pwn at online games :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us