Question reguarding Video Out to HDTV on a PC

Username: Cecil

NY

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but i'll go ahead anyway.

I'm currently building a computer specifically to serve as a nice web-machine for a Sony Wega recently bought that can support 480i/p,720p, and 1080i. I might also emulate any older Nintendo games I have bought, such as World Cup Soccer, to play with my friends on a big screen.

I've been trying to look up some information online about DVI/Composite/S-Video, and I know some basics(VHF/UHF is low, A/V is next, S-Vid ain't bad, Composite is nice, HDTV is better? Isn't VGA Out supposed to be nice?) but i'm a little lost on the matter.

My goal is to take advantage of my HDTV with this machine I am building for it. I wanted to ask if S-Video has blurry output, and if I'm to utilize composite or HDTV; what exactly would I need? I can't do a VGA Adapter to Composite video, can I? It seems the card has to actually support this; using adapters to suit whatever input fancy wouldn't take advantage of progressive/higher res modes, i'm guessing.

I'd like a decent price (not over $100, but willing to spend if it makes a huge difference) on whatever there is avilable-- no need for the newest NV architecture or anything like that. :-)

--Mike

Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 5
You can connect your computer up to a TV to get images in various ways, all of which depend on what sort of plugs you have on your video card.

First there is composite. It is the yellow plug that comes standard on every AV piece. You will need an adapter to change this into s-video so you can plug it into your computer.

Next is s-video. Offering much better quality than composite, it is a good choice. Most TV's have s-video input, and all recent video cards have tv-out, or s-video out.

VGA (or RGB) is next. It comes standard with every video card, and is the blue plug. You will need a VGA lead from computer to VGA in on TV. Some TV's have this, some don't. Most often called computer in.

Last we have DVI. This will provide you with the best picture, as it is digital. It is the white rectangular plug on most recent video cards. You will need a DVI lead, or a DVI -> HDMI converter to plug it in.

There is also component, but that does not work very well. If you want to pursue that area, check out some ATI Radeon cards, some of them come with those leads.

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 40
That's super info for an onlooker, A. Thank you.I go back to Standard 8 and Super 8 film and striping etc and try to follow the video evolution that's ocurring. I was also in TV servicing from B/W days ! Thanks a lot..

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 11
Laurie Edward - That K. I have a lot of knowledge with computers, and am a regular at AtomicMPC forums - http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp

Username: Vermiciouskanid

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 7
I've been reearching this same thing for a while and found what might be a kick azz solution.

I think so anyways. http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

Check it out and tell me waht you think

Web Hosting and E-Mail + free trial

Username: Vermiciouskanid

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 8
AW hell....
how old are these posts

Web Hosting and E-Mail + free trial
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts