Use Camera only To Delete/Rename Photos?

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 168
Hi, just a couple of dumb questions but this is only my second digital camera (first is an ancient HP) but I read somewhere that it is not good to do any manipulation of the photos from a digital camera directly from a PC, as opposed to doing it with the camera. I have a Sandisk 12 in one and I put the Sony Memory stick in there to download, change, or whatever) With my old camera (an HP that used a Compact Flash card) I used to rename, cut, copy, whatever without any bad result. My new camera is a Sony W-7 and so far I have done some renaming, etc with the PC but am I ok here?

I never did have any negative results with the old camera and using the PC to manipulate the photos, but I just wanted to make sure it is ok with this new one. I do know that you have to format the memory card only using the camera not the PC so that is not the issue. If I need to delete, rename, copy, cut, etc is there any harm in using my PC to do this?

Second question, the Sony I now have is 7.2 MP, and I have read somewhere that in reality after about 5 MP the photo quality is only noticeable if you are printing photos over 4x6 in sixe. Since the printing I do is only 4x6 or smaller should I set the camera to a smaller quality than the 7.2 to save space on the card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3158
There is absolutely no harm in using your pc to do any manipulation. That is the purpose of digital pictures and a pc:-)

And no, do not reduce quality just to save space on the card. You never know what type of pictures you will be capturing. Just get larger capacity cards.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 169
Thanks, just making sure!!

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 170
By the way, it was the thread on the Olympus "smart cards" that have a panoramic feature built in, and problems arise when someone uses the PC to delete photos, that is why I was asking the question about this. I kind of skimmed the thread and did not realize that apparently this applies only to the Olympus cards, so it does not apply to me.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3181
Yup, I read that thread, too. I use a stitching tool if I want to do a panorama shot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us