Transfer video from handycam to pc via usb?

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through May 31, 2005Gromit100
Archive through January 03, 2005Berny100

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 207
Raj,

Your choices are:

1) Convert the PAL file on your PC using Adobe, TMPGEnc, VideoStudio or other similar software, then burn a DVD in NTSC(conversion will take quite a long time and the quality will degrade somewhat)

2) View your PAL DVD on a dual-standard TV (they do exist as mentioned elsewhere, and work very well)

3) View your PAL DVD on your NTSC TV through a dual standard CONVERTING video recorder (there is an Aiwa model, don't recall the number. It works quite well though)

4) Buy a magnifying glass and watch it on the camcorder display ;-)

I think that just about covers the options.

Regarding connecting to your computer, both PAL and NTSC should work fine. It's only when you get to TVs that the standard becomes important. Just use a standard firewire connection.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
kapt_KOBRA,

I think you need to give a bit more detail about what you are trying to achieve here. Please do so and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers.

Username: Basu

Post Number: 4
Hi Gromit,

Great to hear your very sincere opinion.
Actually, i am planning to buy a laptop. And, it will be great if you give me some suggestion for configuration of that, so that i can get the best quality of DVD burned.
By configuration, i mean, CPU Speed, RAM size, RPM of Hard Disk, hard disk size, like that.
And one moer thing, is it good to buy a laptop with a built in DVD writer or buy a seperate DVD burner. Which is preferrable?
And, i have one off teh track question, do you know whetehr using SONY TRV 22E, Can i record TV program?
Thanks in advance.

Rajib Basu

Unregistered guest
have a Sony DCR-HC20E and am trying to copy Tapes to my PC. I am running XP, and have a USB cable running to a USB 2 Port. Xp did not automatically pick up the driver so I installed it fine. It now is seen in Imaging Devices. the software I am using is DV Plus 2.0 it is telling me it cant find a Camera installed. I have also tried other software such as AVID.. Same Problem. What am I missing??? Thanks for your time

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Rajib,

This is not my area of expertise, but basically, any new laptop is likely to have sufficient power to capture DV (this is the most tricky part as it happens in real time). Just make sure the HDD is at least 30G and preferably 7200 rpm. For DVD authoring, I'll recommend Ulead MovieFactory.

I might be inclined to go for an on-board DVD burner as it removes one additional complication.

Regarding the SONY, if it has "video in" (check your manual) then it can record TV. My Canon does this with no problem.

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
Sameed,

Is it possible that those programmes are looking for a firewire connected device? That is the interface normally used for DV capture.

Check the "video device" settings (I guess you have already done this) and also consider getting your PC firewire equipped. The cards are very cheap.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
Gonna post a newbie question here if i can.

I have gone through all the hair pulling associated with USB - now I 'm reading the past recommendation to buy a Firewire card.

There is not a Firewire port on either of the two cameras I'm borrowing to try to download some Hi-8 footage(Sony TRV460 and Sony CCD-TRV608). Is there an adaptor that I can buy to place in the USB port?

I would like to give the guys at Sony a swift kick in their nether regions for all the aggravation heaped upon their unwary customers.

Can any of you wizards help with this?

Again sorry for the newbie question that probably gets asked a thousand times a month.
Mike M.

Sid_d_gr8
Unregistered guest
Dear berny\gromit\whomsoever

thanks for the previous advice.. Is the DV port\cable the 'firewire cable ' u r talking 'bout ???

Plus, will movie maker b good for transfer & burning VCDs ???

Siddhant
India

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Mike-o,

If you are in the market for some kind of adaptor, why not get a PCI video capture card and bypass the risks and complexities of USB?

Post again if that doesn't suit you.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hello you all, i saw this posts today and i hope somebody can help me.
I have a problem transfering video from a pv-gs9 camcorder, the device seems to not be recognized by the computer although it is connected through usb and the device is on, in "dv studio mode".
i have tried on windows movie maker and InterVideo WinDVD Creator but the problem persists.
i am running windows xp sp2 on a laptop.
The device is recognized by the computer and a proper drive is automatically installed, with no error messages.

Unregistered guest
Hello Berny
u r great
now i know that doctors are not the only people who can help unknown people in distress thro net

request for a favour
problem is the same of transfering the video to pc from sony hc 30
can u tell if the fire wire will work

can we transfer the video to dvd formet and will the picture better
can we trasfer movie from one sony camera to another sony camera to make a copy
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3077
Dr. Baluja,
The firewire shoul dwork better for your sony to the pc.

You can transfer the video to the dvd format, however, the picture will only be as good as the source, so, simply putting it on dvd will not necessarily amke it better.

Gromit should have a better handel on your dilemma as he seems to be more knowledgeable about video transfer than I am.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Dr. Baluja,

Berny is too kind (and probably incorrect!) in his praise.

As Berny says:
1) Firewire should be fine for transferring DV from your camcorder to your PC.
2) DVD quality depends on source quality. Actually, DVD (MPEG-2) is much more compressed than native DV, so normally, the quality will degrade a little. If you use decent software, this isn't normally a problem. Plus, of course, if you have time, you can "touch up" the video once transferred using video editing software.

plus
3) Camcorder to camcorder DV copying should be possible using a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable. I have successfully done it between JVC and Canon camcorders.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Dear Gromit,

Reading through the post and I would think you might giving some advice or whatever, hopefully...
I am a new user of my Sony HC40E and I've come across way to transfer my recorded video into CD.
I am with WINXP with only USB cable for transfering for the time being for your info, and below are my doubts:

1- How can I transfer those video into PC before I actually burn into CD?
Sony Package software seems like no option to transfer into PC unless I used the Automatic Video Producer, but
this will be added sound and effect.

2- Will the Firewire resolve the performance issue?

3- I am thinking to have some editing on my video before I burn into CD, any suggestion in software?

4- I came across some wording like DVD or VCD or MPEG format in the post...what is main differences among them, is it the quality?

5- I am willing to learn, could you pls tell me any link to tutorial web site availble for a person like me to learn all about video making?

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
Jiapei,

1) I am not familiar with the Automatic Video Producer, but I can imagine that you would not want to have extra sound and effects automatically added. Is that what you are saying is happening? Read below in any case....

2) Firewire is normally the preferred method for high-performance video transfer from camcorder to PC. The transfer can be viewed as lossless (unless you are dropping frames).

3) Windows XP includes Moviemaker, which is OK; also you could use Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio VideoWave.

4) The video transferred from your camcorder (format name is "DV-25") can be viewed as having "top" quality. Next best is DVD, using MPEG-2. VCD, using MPEG-1, is the lowest quality. The file sizes give you a hint: 1 hour of DV is at around 12 GByte, 1 hour of DVD is around 4 GByte, 1 hour of VCD is around 600 MByte.

5) You can find out lots about the various pieces at: http://www.videohelp.com/

Post again if there are any other specific questions where you can't find the answers elsewhere.

Cheers.

Anonymous

i have a sony dcr-h21 & receiving message'usb invalid during easy handycam'. what does that mean?

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Anonymous,

The Amazon.com review of this camera has the following to say about easy handycam:
Easy Handycam button
Using a camcorder can be intimidating for some people, so with a press of the easy Handycam button, most of the advanced features of the camcorder are locked out leaving only the buttons essential for recording operational
unquote

I guess the error message you are seeing indicates that connecting the camcorder to your computer with USB is one of those "advanced features" and is therefore invalid while the mode is invoked.

Hope that helps.

Username: Fooman415

Post Number: 1
I currently own a Sony DCR-TRV140 NTSC handy cam. I am using USB streaming and none of my pictures and video are coming out clear.

I am trying to get all the pictures off the tape

I am using Pixel Ver 1.0. The quality of the pictures is not so good.

Please help

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
Chris,

Normally, the best and easiest way to get video off a camcorder into a PC is to use firewire. But USB should be OK for transferring stills, normally from a memory card.

Is firewire an approach you have considered?

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,

Thanks for your reply.
I've brought the Firewire and just got it installed yesterday, now the transfer working better and easy to manage with the new software Ulead...

The www you suggested have lots of info specially for those beginer like me. Thanks a millions!

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Jiapei,

Thanks for the feedback and glad everything is working. Always nice to hear that we've solved a problem!

Cheers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Gromit,

My camera does not have a memory card, it uses a tape. I am debating to get the firewire, due to the fact that the pictures could still be cloudy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
Chris,

The older of my two DV camcorders also stores still pictures on tape, not very well, as it happens. From that camera, I have successfully transferred both moving video (at native DV quality) and stills using firewire.

Give it a go and let me know if it solves your problems.

Cheers.

Post Number: 3
Gromit,

I got the fire wire and it went well

The quality is a little better, but the picture pixel size is too small. So I am getting a regular digital camera.

Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Chris,

Thanks for the feedback and glad the firewire went without a hitch.

You'll find that even a cheap digicam will comprehensively outperform even the most expensive camcorder for taking stills, so if that is your objective, you are exactly on the right path. I have adjusted to the pain of carrying two devices with me. But just as a tip, if our family gets another digicam, we'll probably go for a micro-sized one that can slip into the camcorder carry bag.

Cheers.

s.markandan
Unregistered guest
i want to download load from my handicam model no nv-v55 to pc and record in a cd

Username: Bobby88

Hey, has anyone got or knows where you can get a usb driver for the panasonic gs200 3ccd camcorder? I mislayed the cd and therefore can't transfer any video to my computer, your help would be most appreciated,

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I have SONY DCR TRV 19 miniDV camcoder.Problem is when I capture video from miniDV to my laptop, the video gets transferred but save it as mpeg file. But when I play this file on computer it does not play AUDIO along with video

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Samir,

Are you using firewire or USB to transfer the video?

Have you checked that your capture programme shows the correct device/interface for capturing the audio?

Cheers.

3mma
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HandyCam Vision video Hi8 recorder, CCD-TRV608, i have the USB cord and stuff, but what do i need to actually get the video off the camcorder to my PC?

Samir
Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,

Thanks for your reply. I am using USB to transfer video. When I capture video it creates .mpeg file but when I play it, it does not have sound recorded during video. I am able to play same miniDV on TV and it plays nice with both audio/video.

Is it that USB can not transfer audio?
Problem is my laptop does not have firewire card and am looking for the one which can be plugged in easily.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Samir,

Reading elsewhere on this page, you'll see that other users do successfully transfer video (which I take to include audio) using USB, although personally I am yet to be convinced about the quality you get with this method.

Your capture programme should allow you to specify "USB" for audio capture. Have you checked this?

Another thing you could try is changing your capture settings to your soundcard for audio and connect the audio that way. However, there is a risk that there may not be perfect synchronisation between audio and video if you do that.

By the way, firewire cards, packaged with software and cable, are pretty cheap.

It might also be worth you re-installing your capture programme and/or trying some others if you can't persuade the current set-up to work the way you wish.

Sorry I can't be more explicit, but I try to steer clear of USB for video normally.

Cheers.

JUANITO PEREZ
Unregistered guest
USBDRVEN.EXE
Sony DCR HC-30/HC-40
This utility installs a USB driver for connecting the camera to a computer and transfering files Model(s): MiniDV Handycam Camcorder.

Unregistered guest
I Have a Canon ZR300 trying to transfer video to PC with Win XP Pro using firewire have tried every program on market and they all freeze anyone help PLEASE!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
William,

What is the spec of your PC?

Username: Photoman

DEAR GROMIT,

I HAVE SONY DCR-H42 MODEL CAMCORDER WITH USB CABLE. MY PC IS WITH WIN 98 SE, 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, 4MB VIDEO RAM.

USING 'PICTURE PACKAGE' OF SONY, IF I TRANSFER VDEO FROM MINI DV TAPE TO PC, THE TRANSFERRED OUTPUT IS VERY JERKY WHEN PLAYED BACK.

HOW TO AVOID THIS JERK?

MY AIM IS TO CREATE VCDs OF MY VIDEO FILES FOR BETTER STORAGE.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
c.suresh,

I have addressed this question on the other page you posted.

Unregistered guest
hey....i hav the same problem.
. "transferring video from handycam to pc"...
i dun even hav a software..so if u can tell me "wher can i get the sofware ..may be web site..:-)"
.i will b greatful if u did this for me .

Anonymous

hi, I have a DCR - HC30E, everything is installed, but when i try to burn a VCD using the "Burn VCD" feature in the camcoder, it said ERROR and down it write "check the connected device"

I'm using a USB port (can't find a firewire), win XP.
please help!!

Unregistered guest
Hi
I have a Sony DCR HC 40 digital videocam corder. I have PPA 4port IEEE1394 ( 400 mbps ) interface card installed in my computer. When I tried to connect my cam corder thru IEEE1394 cable to my PC The PC does not showup "new hard ware found" It is not reconizing my camcorder. I want create VCD and I have Ulead and Windows movie maker soft wares. My PC operating system is Windows XP with SP2.

I came to know that there is problem in SP2 firewire driver. I could not make it out, is problem lies in the operating system or my camcorder IEEE1394 port or IEEE1394 PPA Interface card.

Any suggestions ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
pkumar,

This is my complete "connection problems" debugging cookbook, mostly my own work but thanks to Chico and Berny who also contributed:

1) Disconnect USB and just use the firewire cable to connect your camera to your PC. Most cameras use only firewire for video and USB for stills. Having the USB connection present might possibly cause a problem
2) If by any chance you have TWO types of firewire interface in your PC (one built-in, one PCI/PCMCIA card), physically remove the external card, and try connecting to the in-built port. If still no good, check in Device Manager that the internal device is OK. If you were using a PCI/PCMCIA card because of problems with an in-built card, make sure the in-built device is really disabled.
3) If you are using a laptop with built-in firewire, try to get your hands on a PCMCIA firewire card and use that instead as an experiment. This fixed the problem for one user with a Sony laptop. Make sure you disable the in-built device when doing this.
4) Play around a bit to make sure there is no "sequence" issue affecting you. By this I mean experimenting with turning the camera on before, or during the capture programme running. Please make sure to only physically plug the firewire cable in to the camcorder when (at least) the camcorder is turned off. JVC have stated that plugging in the firewire cable when the camcorder is switched on can damage the camcorder's DV port.
5) Look in Device Manager to check if both your 1394 controller and camcorder are present and correct. The 1394 controller should show up the whole time. The camcorder should show up when you connect it and turn it on, then disappear when you turn it off.
6) If you have any doubts about your firewire card, debug as follows: Turn off your camcorder and unplug it from the computer. Remove/uninstall the firewire on your device manager. Restart the computer, wait until windows re-installs the firewire. Re-start again, then wait until the pc is booted up completely. With your camcorder still switched off, plug it in using firewire, then power it on.
7) If your camera has a socket for a memory card, fit one. One JVC owner I corresponded with said this fixed his problem (and was advice from JVC, by the way)
8) Disconnect all other peripherals (especially USB) in case they are confusing your PC. Just a hunch.
9) Re-instal your capture software.
10) Re-download and re-install your capture software
11) Try a different capture software, e.g. Moviemaker from Microsoft if you use XP, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio Videowave (my favourite)
12) Think whether have you recently installed any new applications, or upgraded any applications? RealPlayer is one application I have found to conflict with Windows XP wizards
13) Think about whether you have installed any hardware that might be causing a conflict. Not a very common problem these days but still a possibility. Check via Device Manager.
14) Try connecting your camera to a friend's PC and vice versa to work out, through a process of elimination, where the problem lies. Remember that capture will only work if the camera, cable, firewire card and PC are all OK.
15) If you are running XP SP2, please refer to this Microsoft patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6-8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en And if you are completely stuck, then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. This fix was written prior to the release of the Microsoft patch so it might now be obscelent. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t106716.html
16) If you are using a JVC camcorder, try to use a firewire card with a TI chipset. There is some doubt about JVC camcorders working with non-TI firewire cards (even though mine does no problem)

Hope that somewhere in this list I hit the nail on the head. Please let me know what eventually fixes it so I can keep enhancing this knowledge base for the benefit of other users.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
I have the NEW JVC GR D-290 camcorder bundled with Cyberlink Power Director 3 and allegedly all the drivers I need. No need for Firewire , apparently usb connection is all I need. So far I have been able to access the still images on the memory card but my computer will not see the camera for moving images.
A quirk, by the way, is that it will not even see the memory card unless you are using mains not battery.
It must be a driver problem but I received no instructions and as per most users above I was told that it would be all automatically installed!!
Has anyone sucessfully used the new JVC Grd290 or 270 to transfer streaming video via uSB. I might be doing something completely stupid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
JVC-frustrated,

I can't give you the info you want, but you may find this post from a sister page interesting:

"Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 06:25 pm:
I just purchased a JVC GR-D270U and have been unsuccessful in getting a USB connection to transfer video. The manual clearly provides connection instructions for both USB and Firewire for the purpose of transferring video from the DV tape. I called JVC and was instructed that I needed to buy a firewire card, a cable, and third party software before I could transfer video. I told them what the manual states. They told me they were sorry but the unit will not work on USB."

URL: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/4356.html

Hope that helps somehow. Post again if you need to and I won't reply so that other contributors may pick it up.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Dear Gromit,

If I do a camcorder to camcorder DV copying - from JVC GR-DV500 (NTSC) to Sony TRV27 (PAL) - using a firewire cable, will the NTSC format be transformed into PAL automaticly?
Thank you in advance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
Stan,

I wish I could answer "yes", but unfortunately it doesn't work like that. But you do have a quite good solution at your disposal that will keep the footage in the digital domain:

1) upload your NTSC footage to your computer using firewire (your computer won't care about NTSC or PAL).

2) using Ulead VideoStudio or some similar video editing programme, output to DV PAL (just choose the PAL option at the output stage)

3) Either burn a PAL DVD using an authoring programme, or export the footage to the PAL DV camcorder to store on tape.

Funnily enough, I tried the conversion just yesterday and it seems to work OK.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot, Gromit.
My only concern is if the quality of the record will remain the same after the conversion from NTSC to PAL or it will be significantly worse?
Did you notice sth like that after your conversion?

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Stan,

I did notice more interleaving distortion ("combing") on the converted file (I converted PAL to NTSC) but I believe that is a PC playback effect and would not remain a problem once the file was converted into a video DVD (or exported back to DV tape). Apart from that, the two versions were very similar in quality, which I have to say surprises me. Of course, theoretically, the quality has to deteriorate. But if you are going to do it, keeping it all digital has to be the best option.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi
I have a sony TRV260. The pictur quality is very poor. May be something wrong in setting. can anyone tell me what will be the perfect parameter?

Unregistered guest
Dear Gromit,
I have a Sony DCR TRV 285E Pal D8 Handycam. My PC is PIV, winxp sp1 OS. I am using USB for capturing video and Ausio.It is working fine if I capture it in Hard disk. But when I try Burn-VCD feature the software supplied with Sony, i.e. PIXELA and Image fails to show my CDRW device (Target Drive and Speed of the Target Drive is blank and it is a drop -down box so can't be written like drive path) and although I put new blank CD-R as per the manual.

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
Amarish,

Sorry, I am not familiar with Pixela software, so I can't help you with that question. However, I will advise you to use firewire if your camcorder supports it. Buy a card for you PC as required.

By the way, if you can get decent quality on your HDD, could you perhaps use a proprietary VCD authoring programme such as Nero VisionExpress to make the VCD?

Cheers.

Cheers.

Jiver
Unregistered guest
There seems to be some misunderstanding here about USB 2.0 and digital video transfer. It's true that plain old 2.0 isn't fast enough to transfer digital video, however "high speed USB 2.0" (enhanced) transfers at a rate of 420 mpbs, which is faster than Firewire's 400. Most machines with the enhanced ports have streaming USB drivers, however that can be a problem if you don't have it.

Mahaylea
Unregistered guest
Hi I have a panasonic nv gs120 which I know has been mentioned..I want to off load my movies to my pc to burn to dvd..I have tried using windows moviemaker and it says it doen't find a device..I have tried using the software that came with my dvd burner and same thing..It also says something about changing the setting to PAL and trying again but I can't find it anywhere...I was told to get a firewire to be able to transfer movies from my cam when I bought it, but I thought I would play around and see if there was another way..

Anyone had any luck transferring via USB with this camera?

Unregistered guest
I have Panasonic NV-GS-120. I want to transfer the video from that to my PC. I have a USB cable. I have Windows movie maker. Is it possible to do the transfer using USB calbe? If so how? Else what is the next option? Do I have to get any other connector?

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
vishvas,

Video transfer using USB is possible, but you need device-specific drivers and often it is difficult to obtain high quality. Firewire is the recommended approach. You will probably need to buy a card/cable/software package for your PC. See www.videohelp.com for "how to" guides.

Cheers.

Username: Bbunv

Hello,

I just bought a Panasonic PV-GS35. It came with the CD. But I can't install its video stream driver. It pops up an error message: "This driver cannot be installed with the operating system of your PC." I have windows XP.

Any suggestions?

All I want is to transfer video from camcorder to PC. Can anyone tell me how?

Thanks a lot!

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
bbunv,

If your objective is to transfer video from your camcorder to your PC, you should consider using firewire, where the drivers are normally already supplied as part of Windows.

PC firewire card/cable/software packages are very cheap.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
I reused a dv tape and uploaded it to my computer via firewire. Unfortunately I noticed that the old tape audi info came through in spots interfering with the new tape data. can I fix this. Any recommendation on how to stop this from happening in the future other than buying new tapes?

jiver
Unregistered guest
bbunv: If you're running XP SP2, you don't need to install the streaming driver, it's already part of the package. Plug your USB cable in, open Windows Movie Maker and when it's open, turn your camera on in playback mode. WMM will recognize it and you can then download your movie--and at a rate faster than FirWire if you have USB 2.0. If you want to burn a DVD you'll have to use third-party software, since WMM doesn't support DVD, but that's no biggie.

Anonymous

Dear Experts,

I have Panasonic Handy Cam NV-GS75 and trying to use Power Director 3.0 to capture from my tape but could not be able to do it. Any expert if could help me I'll really appreciate his assistance.

Warm Regards
Pinaki

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Handy Cam CCD-TRV138 NTSC Hi8. I was wondering if there is a way to use a usb cable to hook it to my computer. The only ports I see on my video camera are A/V out and DC in. If there is another port somewhere for a usb, please let me know.

Anonymous

I have a Sony Handicam DCR-HC90E where in while
trying to transfer pictures to my IBM R40 Lap-Top
for recording on DVD, it is very slow with jitters
with a low quality via USB port. What is the alternate solution to get it done faster and better clarity.

Tom_my
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Sony Handycam DCR-HC90E PAL (europe). I connected it with my pc with the USB stream connection, but I have no sound. It looks as if the driver for the sound is not working (I got an error message when installing the driver from the CD, saying that there is a missing entry). Any idea how to solve this or where I can download a driver that is working? I am using OS windows XP Home edition.

Unregistered guest
HI,
I have a Sony DCR-TRV 285E Camcorder, with USb Streaming.
I tried to capture the recorded stuff on the tapes to the Computer. Everything Went right except for the fact that, the Size of the resultant file (.avi format), was 2.47 GB for a 7 Minute 30 Second Video.

Any way to compress the file to a more manageable size????

Unregistered guest
I am not able to transfer the video from Sony handycam to PC or VCD even after using the software supplied by him. Plz any body suggest me regarding this.

AZaaz
Unregistered guest
Hi All,
I have sony HandyCam DCRHC30E,able to transferr the movie from HandyCam to PC though USB cable but quality is back,but i want to transferr it through firewire port.
But when i am connecting firewire cable to PC,it is not Detetcting the Camera tried with Windows MM as well as Pixela and Movie factory also ...
Any Guesss pls ?? will be thankfull to You

Unregistered guest
Hi
I have a sony DCR-285E Camcorder. I want to know how to record from tape to my computer hard disc.My computer Opertaing system is Windows 98

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I was checking thsi forum by chance, and almost everybody had same sort of problem.. I am trying to give a general hint for those. here it goes..

The basic mechanism for capture :

Connect the cable , when teh PC and acmera, bothe are switched of..
Switch on the camera, put it in VIDEO mode.
Switch on the PC.
Now, your capture software, ( Movie Maker i use ) must see the capture devide connected, and tehn you follow what MM asks you to follow.

If still the software cant detect teh Capture device, check teh device manager whether you have the firewire card installed at your PC, if not installed, you have to install a firewire card, but all mew PCs come with Built in Firewire card.

After insalling teh Firewier card, do the proceduer again, your software must detect teh Capture device.

Teh captured software size will eb 200 Mb / I minute of Video ... so make sure you have enough Disk space available to store teh data... better to close all other application during capture , and switch off teh preview option of Movie maker .

After capture, you need to compress it to make Mpeg, the setting depends on your target Media, VCD, SVCD or DVD. Teh software enocder are TMPG or ULEAD or CCE basic. I use TMPG , it is pretty good but very slow....
You may need to convert from NTSC to PAL and Vice versa, but that is altogether different ballgame..

You should and almost must not use USB for transfer, FIREWIRE is more preferrabel, as USB will not be able to handle teh huge data rate required for a better capture...

Hope it helps you guys.

Cheers,

Basu rajib

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
And, Please bear the spelling mistake...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3488
At least you are providing some answers:-)
That is a good thing.
But realize that the answer you have given has been provided numerous times in one way or the other. I can almost guarantee that it will be ignored by most and the question asked again.

But that is what this forum is for, I just wish that people use the search function so the repetitiveness is minimized.

Anonymous

I want to transfer video from sony handycam DCR TRV 22E to pc. how to do it and what do I need?

Unregistered guest
I'm frustrated with my Sony DCR-DVD401.
1)can't EDIT the .vob file
2)hard to convert the .vob file BUT IamTOO DVD Ripper helped to do it, but BEWARE, if you're using pinnacle studio to edit it, you need to UNLOCK the mpeg-2 plug-ins which is REALLY FRUSTRATING TO DO.
3)All process wasted 1 week of my time.

suggestion:
1)Sony save the dvd movie in mpeg format so that it's easier for US to EDIT our movie freely without going through HELL.

Unregistered guest
hi
i have a problem with my webcam i did install it from it's CD and i did it successfully and it has a digital pc- camera USB wire and i plug it into the computer USB port just like what is written in it's user manual .
but whenever i press on it in order to view the camera an error appear thet it says there is no video capture hardware . please help me to get through it and send me any site that i can install any kind of proggram if it's necessary.
thank you.

Mallik
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a JVC GR-D290 and captured video. When i try to download the content from DV Tape to Laptop by using the software provided by JVC "Cyberlink Power Director 3" am not able to do that by using Via USB.As per the Manual,we hv to keep in "MEMORY".It is showing only the photos captured in SD Card.Pls suggest me how can i download the video and what are all the steps to download or any additional things required.

Pls suggest me on this...Thanks...Mallik

Unregistered guest
I have Panasonic NV-GS-120. I want to transfer the video from that to my PC. I tried to use USB cable to transfer video to my PC. But it doesn't work. So I purchased IEEE 1394 with a 4 pin cable. But there is no appropriate slot in my camera to insert the cable. Do I need a different cable? Or is there any other way to transfer video?

Unregistered guest
I HAVE SONY HANDYCAM DCR-TRV130E JUST NOW I PURCHASED USB CABLE TO TRANSFER THE PICTURES FROM CAMERA TO PC? PLEASE GUIDE ME THE PROCEDURE TO CAPTURE THE GOOD QUALITY PICTURE.

Username: Harpal

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Pers... Malaysia

I bought sony DCR-HC30E but cld not find any manual in how to transfer the recorded tape into my PC hard disk. With provide software I only manage to copy but it doestnt copy original sounds. How to get the origanal copy and how to avoid effect music.

Aoife
Unregistered guest
Hi I have a Sony HandyCam Video camera recorder CCD TRV27E. Its a good few years old. I have a lot of Video8XR tapes and i want to transfer them all over to my computer. the only connections available on my cam are - audio,video and RFU DC out. How do i go about connecting it to my computer. ANY ADVICE PLEASE???

Unregistered guest
I have the handycam of PANASONIC model NV-DS65EN. I want to ransfer the video clip from my cam tape to PCor on CD. How do I do it? pls advice me the software and the method.

Anonymous

i buyed sony hi8 camcorder how can i transfer my videos and photos to PC i have Ilink cable and software but do i need and separate cord for converting them plz give me some information
hope a quick reply
hanx

Uday
Unregistered guest
PLEASE GUIDE ME THE PROCEDURE TO CAPTURE THE "GOOD QUALITY PICTURE" from SONY HANDYCAM TO LAPTOP

Unregistered guest
I have SONY 460 E model handycam.When I download vedio on tape with supplied Picture Package software on my PC and play it original voice lost and default music set in the music setting of the software start to play.
Can picture package software able to support the downloading of vedio on tape with original voice.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I got a Sony Camcorder Mini DV , DCR-TRV 16E Pal and I'm unable to transfer ma captured audio along with the video itself. I'm using a USB port to do all this...
The software am using is courtesy of Sony, Pixel A. I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. I've read the posts on this website but if there's more advice on this, I would appreciate.

Arindam Gupta
Unregistered guest
I own a Sony DCR HC21 handycam. I am not able to use it with XP sp2 o/s. Where can I download the driver for XP sp2 o/s for my handycam ?
Please reply urgently,
Regards,
Arindam Gupta
(arindam.gupta@tcs.com)
(M)91-9831216822

Username: Pavankumariway

Hyderabad, Andhra pradesh India

hello i have a sony handycam model no dcr-trv 140e and plz give me a soln to convert my handycam cassette to cd with my computer

Username: Darque

my laptop for some reason cannot see my pansonic pv gs-19 mini dv camcorder.I have a fire wire and when I plug it in it does not reognise it. Can someone help me

camcamman
Unregistered guest
I have a sony dcr-pc9e handycam , i would like to fing ot how i can get the tape into my computer?

Unregistered guest
HI! I have a Panasonic PV-GS31 and i cant download the driver to use it as a webcam because i have Windows Xp..can someone help me?

S John
Unregistered guest
Hi

I got SONY-DCR HC-18E HANDICAM, I am trying to burn VCD from the mini Dv through USB cable connect to PC. After about half an hour, it burnt the vcd AND I can see all files in the CD. But when i am trying to run files from MPEGAV folder(AVSEQ01.dat & AVSEQ02.dat), its not opening and PC hanging.(ITs not working in WMP or Real Player.

ANYONE CAN SUGGEST WHY THIS HAPPENS?

Unregistered guest
sorry for not dealing with all your particular problems though i have my own one:
i need a driver for posting pictures from my dv-cam panasonic NV-GS17 to the computer and running them but nobody seems to know what one. please help me with a message!

felzi
Unregistered guest
i have browne hawyeke camrea. how do i made speelburt movie?

Unregistered guest
hi guys,

i ma having PV-GS31 PANASONIC handy cam.
please let me know whether i can find any free software to transfer my video from cassette to cd.

i am eagarly in search of that.
you can send me a mail to the following id ashak143@yahoo.co.in

please let me know

Cheers
Abdul

Unregistered guest
hello guys please help me to find the drivers for DCR TRV 285E .
i tried a lot but cant make it i have lost the cd i got with it .please help me
thank you for reading my mail

Username: Dmitter

I have a Sony DCR-DVD201. Have read a lot here about using Firewire instead of USB. Do you know if my camera model can connect to Firewire? (The manual doesn't even mention Firewire.)
If so, how do I connect? And is the Firewire method better than USB for this model handycam?
Thanks.

Anonymous

i borrowed a sony trv265e handycam to tape my daughters wedding the daughter who lent it me has lost the cd rom to put it on the comp. i thought it might work with just the lead but i was wrong.has anyone got the cd to download or know where i can get it.i'm desperate everyones nagging for the wedding film she lives in turkey now and they miss her.

Pravin
Unregistered guest
Hi experts,

I understand the capture of movie file from Camcorder to PC is a huge file (15 GB for 60 min vedio) and after the conversion by Ulead the file size reduced a lot. But I would like to know if I go for DCR - DVD 403 model instead of DCR HC 90, then will it be better ?? I mean I wont have that big file after transferring the data.

I am planning to go for 3M pixel camcorder. Either DVD403 or HC90. I have iLink in my VAIO laptop. Next why the capture file is so big !!! After compression will the quality degrade ?? One of my friend told after compression quality becomes bad. Is it so ??

Anyone has experience of these two camcorders and if so then which one is better ?

Thanks in advance.

best

Pravin

Unregistered guest
AJE

I have Sony Handycam Digital8 DCR-TRV330 and cannot locate the manual. Ebay purchase. I don't have IEEE 1394 cable and don't have a 4-pin or 6-pin card in my computer. Is this just called a FIREWIRE card? And what software are you using? I only have CD burner, could I use Roxio Media Creator 7? I was also considering converting video to WAV format and either burning to CD or just emailing to family. Is that possible? I AM APPEALING TO ANYONE WITH THIS KNOWLEDGE. The manual will be my next purchase.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
hI i HAVE SONY HANDY CAM TRV245E,I HAVE NOT ANY SOFTWARE WITH ME TO DOWNLOAD MOVIE FROM HANDY CAM TO PC PLS ADVICE HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE MOVIE TO MY PC

Unregistered guest
Hi
Anyone know how to config or increase resolution of photo on using sonyhandycam HC30E.I take photo from memory but resolution is too low.Pls let me know how to increase.
Thanks
ZMY

Gold Member

Post Number: 4412
Pravin,
Instead of sticking with Sony, try out the new Everio Line from JVC. It records directly to hard disk drive. You don't have to worry about tapes or DVDs, you can use any media you want. It will even output to a stand alone DVD recorder, VCR or to your PC without worrying about quality loss.

dan914
Unregistered guest
I want to video a party and stream the video what is the way camcorder? to do it? thanks

dan914
Unregistered guest
I want to video a party and stream the video what is the way camcorder? to do it? thanks

dan914
Unregistered guest
also I need the cheapest way maybe jvc product or something I want to let my friends watch this video thanks.

dan914
Unregistered guest
also I need the cheapest way maybe jvc product or something I want to let my friends watch this video thanks.

Username: Nandos_mullet

I have a Panasonic NV-GS17, do you know where I can get an installation cd or download rivers in order to edit footage from the camcorder on my pc? Any help appreciated!

Anonymous

Hello Guys,
I have a Panasonic NV-GS11 Video camera. I have been to transfer videos from the tape to my computer. I bought a firewire as well as the cable with the IEEE standard for firewire. Whenever I connect the Cam to the firewire port, it identifies the DV cable but does not download the videos. I thought having media softwares like Pinnacle Studio or Ulead would resolve this problem of maybe missing drivers but it did not. Please I need help with the appropriate drivers or guide on what to do. Thanks email: uwaifo_george@yahoo.com

Pravin
Unregistered guest
Dear Berny,

Thanks for your info. After listening from you I looked at JVC. I had an idea about HD type camcorder before i.e GZ-MG30, which had 0.680 M CCD. But surprisingly I found GZ-MG70 after your advice which sounds quite ok. It has 2 M CCD and video must be better than MG 30.

I too also read the review in camcorderinfo.com

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-GZ-MG70-Camcorder-Review.htm

I found its not very impressive. Can I ask one thing more ? Can this JVC product be compared with SONY 403 or HC 90 model ?? Only thing I hate in Sony mini DV is its huge data and convertion to MPEG. By converting from DV to mpeg some clarity is going.

Let me see this JVC one in market and I shall post my experience after watching its performance.

Thanks once again.

best wishes

Pravin

Gold Member

Post Number: 4483
I don't blame you for not being impressed. However, I do not rely my findings based on lab reports. Most of the tests done by that website is based on a laboratory which is not in the least bit the same in the real world.

I like the JVC for the convenience it offers. The video I have seen is no less than what any other camcorders have to offer. Now unless you are doing videography for profit or some type of business, you really wouldn't see a whole lot of difference in picture quality.

Pravin
Unregistered guest
Dear Berny,
Thanks once again for your reply. Oh ! you have used JVC one. Then its fine. Then I should go for this GZ-MG70. Ofcourse I am not going for any professional stuff but like to have a camcorder with good video only. I dont mind for price much. I think this GZ-MG70 will be a good one for quality.

Thanks.

with regards

Pravin

JasonJ
Unregistered guest
Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping out people like me out, especially "jiver"!

I just bought a Panasonic PV-GS31 and was totally lost on how to transfer video to the PC. I figured out how to use it as a webcam, but getting an actual video file was a pain.

Thanks to jiver's post, I was able to use Windows Movie Maker (Win XP-Pro SP2) to capture the file. I didn't even know that utility was there! For some reason, Easy Media Creator's "Capture" application didn't work.

This forum is a real service.

Username: Nandos_mullet

I have a Panasonic NV-GS17, do you know where I can get an installation cd or download drivers in order to edit footage from the camcorder on my pc? Any help appreciated!

Anonymous

Please help me!!!???

Panasonic NV-GS17 Drivers!!!!

Please????

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic PV-DV400. Like most here, I want to download my tapes to my PC. The camera supports firewire, but my new pc has 5 or 6 usb ports & no dvi(?) port. Is there a way to plug the dvi end into my camera & convert to usb or get an external port? What is the best way? thanks in advance

AnneC
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DCR-TRV19 NTSC. I am connecting it to an iMac (which I bought in Europe) and importing the movies using iMovie via a Firewire connection.
When I do this, I never hear any sound in iMovie. The sound is recorded (I hear it when I use the camera to playback), but I get the impression that the sound isn't being downloaded to the iMAC. Is this a NTSC problem? Or should I be using a separate cable from the camera to the iMac to transfer the sound?
THanks in advance for any help.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony TRV285E handycam and I am using Picture Package software to capture video. The problem that I am experiencing is, while saving the video from the camcorder to PC, the file size of the video is very, very huge. A 30 minute video is using 30.0 GB of my hard drive space. And probably, this is the reason, why the software does not detect a CD in the drive, does not display any Destination, and does not provide burning speed options. Could anyone please suggest me something. I havent tried any other video capturing software. But, this will be my last option. Thank you, all.

Tzah Livne
Unregistered guest
It works only with XP SP2. SP1 is not enough.
After installing SP2, go to My computer and you will have a VERY nice surprize.
Capturing is recommanded with the SW avaliable on JVC's disk, but can be done with MS movie maker.
Enjoy!

Unregistered guest
Yeah, I have used Windows Movie Maker to capture video. Video clarity is good and the file size is very small, unlike Picture Package. And not to mention, Movie Maker is much easier to use, than Picture Package.

However, there is one gliche in Windows Movie Maker, which I experienced. While transferring video, the audo in the video cassette was not transferred. Only the video part was transferred and not the audio part.

So, now I am looking at other video capturing software. This time, I shall try InterVideo Home Theater. I'll get back with the results.
Cheers...!

Unregistered guest
I just bought a secondhand Sony DCR-DVD403. but its in japanese and the driver installing cd is missing. i tried sony.com but they still dont have the driver posted in their site. can anyboty instruct me how to covert the tranlation into english and can somebody send me the driver.
Hope for a quick response. My 20th wedding anniversary is on Jan 27.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I am a little confused regarding the USB/Firewire transfer of DV. I understood that USB 2 is faster than Firewire. If you recommend firewire is there any one card you would recommend.

sid_d_gr8
Unregistered guest
hi every1,

i am returning after quite a duration.. Unlike many sony camcorders, i have trv 330e which doesn't hav usb streamiong,,,instead it has an option for dv streaming in the vcr mode....i took the cam & cable from my friend... the cable had sort of firewire on one end and usb on the other his cable attached to dv link in his cam. my u lead video studio identified his cam and transfer was sucessful....also when i fixed his cable in my cam(trv 330e),, it didn't fix in my dvi port,,, but it fixed in usb port of my cam....the usb cable only allows to transfer memory stick pics.... i m really in a fix...when plugged in usb port of my cam,, my pc detects the cam only in memory mode....also can u tell me that which type of firewire cable should i use??? there's a lot of varieties of firewire cable(4-4,,,4-6,,etc..),,,,,which format should i use for capturing to create a vcd?????

thanx a lot,,,,,,,,,,,
Siddhant
India

Anonymous

my camera turn off after5 second

Unregistered guest
panasonic digital video camera NV-DS65EN turn off after 5 second
my camera turn off after a few second

Unregistered guest
panasonic digital video camera NV-DS65EN turn off after 5 second
my camera turn off after a few second

Unregistered guest
hi !! i have sony dcr-hc40e handy cam.
I can transfer the still images from my cam to the pc thru the usb cable but i was not able to transfer the videos.
My pc does not detect the handy cam in the usb streaming mode but detects in usb mode.I have win-xp sp1 with usb 2.o.
Some of the tech gurus please help me.
Sunita

Anonymous

I have a SONY DCR-HC40E. I have been trying to transfer decent resolution pictures for almost 6-months.I was of the view that perhaps my System is old (CELERON)so I have updated it to
1GHz,256MB,20GB HDD ( P-3 ).The "PICTURE PACKAGE"
did'nt work again.Then I sought help.Iwas relieved to find that I am not the only one sufferring from post-PICTURE PACKAGE-syndrome.
CHRIS & GROMIT are my saviours in this regards.I can see now that success is not far.
So it is the wonder card, FAAAAYER WAAAAYER.
Please advise me if I need more than this on my computer.I have a combo drive.(dvd rom,cd write)
I still have difficulty in digesting this naked truth about PICTURE PACKAGE that it is only meant for Still Images as far as USB STREAMING IS concerned.
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences. WILL BE IN TOUCH WITH MY STORY,

Unregistered guest
I am transferring video from handycam to my pc. I am not getting the exact quality which is in my handycam. The video quality is blurred and dark. Do i require video capture card for my PC? if yes which one is the best and whats the range of video capture card? Is there any other cheaper alternative.

Darwin Mendioro
Unregistered guest
hey guys i have a GR-D27u jvc mini dv, and i can only transfer pictures. i also can only take pictures on memory card, and not capture with video. how do i capture with video?

PanasonicRookie17
Unregistered guest
Hi,

Like many here, I have problem connecting my Panasonic NV-GS17 over USB. It works OK using firewire, but will only give low quality over USB. However, since I don't have firewire on the PC I intend to use, I went looking for a USB driver.

Just downloaded some stuff from this place:
http://parceiros.panasonic-sonicel.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=415

Not sure if it is what I'm looking for (haven't tried it yet), but it seems promising.

Unregistered guest
Hi all!
I have a Sony Handycam DCR HC18E, which uses MiniDV tapes, and just finished shooting a home video. I now need to edit the files either on WMM or Adobe Premiere Pro. Unfortunately, I dont have any software, and i have one USB cable. How can I import the movie onto my computer? In addition, I only have 6 GB of hard drive space.

Someone please help!

Thanx

micpay
Unregistered guest
can you use only digital camcorder to tranfer movie to computers to pc instead of video

micpay
Unregistered guest
can you use only digital camcorder to tranfer movie to computers to pc instead of video

Anonymous

I have Sony DCR-HC40E. Picture package 1.0 is installed in my PC. I could not download the video using USB. In Picture Package VCD maker, option is not allowing me to select the target drive and writing speed. Can anyone help me.
Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Can anyone help me to find out softcopy of Sony DCR HC40E user manual online.

sangeetha
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV110 .I would like to transfer the movie from camcorder to my PC (Windows 98)and transfer the movie in to video CD.I can get the DV cable from a shop as its not provided but what about the softwares and drivers,where can I get that from?Is there any other suggestion for doing this?
Kindly advise.

salman
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have sony DCR-HC42E camcorder, I have installed the picture package 1.5 to my pc to Burn VCD from my mini DV to pc. the problem my pc dose note show the TARGET DRIVE...why is that ? is because Iam using only USB cable..dose usb cable can transfer data to burn VCD or I have to buy i link cable? ADVICE PLS.

Salman

Unregistered guest
Hi all
guys i owned sony DCRHC90E handycam and there is a problem of transfering stand still images. the image has vertical distortion when i transfer to my pc pls help me to sort out the problem thanks for the advice

Guestsony
Unregistered guest
Hi
I have SONY DCR TRV255E.
1) I cannot transfer the still images taken from the camcorder to my PC using USB cable and picture package menu 1.0 version.
2) I cannot transfer the captured videos to CD-R.because the error message says : too little disk space. When i put a DVD-R or DVD-RW with 4.7 GB capacity, it refuses to recognise them as blank media.
3)What is VCD? Do u get CD-R with 4-6 GB capacity and where?

Unregistered guest
Hey, I have a JVC GR-DVL520U ...
i am tryin to transfer video from my video camera to my pc...
i am using a usb device, but i can not even figure out how to transfer the video to my pc, is there a certain program i should use or installation or driver?
will someone please help me out?

thank you,
jay

karumba
Unregistered guest
Is anyone using DCR-DVD403 as webcam? How are you streaming to laptop / comp? Thanks

Shankmn
Unregistered guest
Please help me......

I have 4pin firewire cable, sony campcorder and laptop ready. also I have Roxio creator software.
but don't know how to transfer video from campcorder to laptop...
I need your help....
Shan

Unregistered guest
Hi, My names Justin. My friend bought a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV260 NTSC off ebay, it did not come with a Computer CD to Download on the computer. we can't get the images on to the computer through USB, and I've tried Sony.com for Drivers but it doesn't work. I have Windows XP. what should I do to Edit video on my computer? Preferrably Windows movie maker.

Username: Bibincjoy

PATHANAMTHITTA, KERALA INDIA

Dear sir,
Help me. iam in trouble. i bought a sony dcr hc42 handycam recently but i lost my installation cd. please help me. can u send me a copy of picture package and user guide. please help me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7008
You need firewire justin, not USB.

Username: Hunter1966

Post Number: 4
I have sony dcr-tvr140 and need the software for it. I have been hearing bad things about pixela so is there any other compatable software that I can find for free or should I stick with pixela? If so, where can I find free downloads for whatever you sugest? Maybe someone can help me with this.
Thanks, Jason

Username: Shams2k6

I am using Sony Handycam DCR-HC26.I recorded 1 minutes of video from the handycam into the PC and it took 538 MB of hard disk space. Please someone give me suggestion what should I do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7291
Get an external hard drive with a huge capacity.

Username: Kkakosim

Hi,
I own a DCR-HC40E (a year old).
I have repeatedly transfered video to my
PC through the i.Link. So everything was working
fine since yesterday.

My pc is not recognizing the camera when I connect it through the i.Link but it does when I connect it through USB. Following I present you the tests that I have done:

- Two different PCs (VAIO & a desktop)
- Two different cables
- I do get a signal from each pin of the
camera's i.Link so nothing is broken.

Please does anyone have an idea.

Boths PC's where XP SP2 but the camera worked previously on both of them.

I have tried some of the reccomendations in a previous post but nothing helped.

Is there any other way to get my data out
of the camera in a quality similar to i.Link
let's say a deck?

I will be gratefull for any suggestions,
I'm desperate.

Username: Arc76

I have SONY TRV 285E- First it is not detected by Laptop where win XP is installed.
I tried to make CD/DVD with Movie Maker but I am unable to do so.
How to copy tape to PC and burn CD???
thanks in advance

Username: Amit1078

I have Sony TRV 265 handycam. How to copy video on the tape to PC? The software does not detect my CD writer (LG). So is there a way to copy the video to PC & then write on CD? (I could connect the handycam to PC with USB, play the video in the Picturepackage software etc.)

Username: Sbhat74

Hi, I own DCR HC42 Handycam and use SOny Memory STick Duo Pro. I can record the still images on the memory stick, but when i connect it to my laptop, it is not detected. Can some exprt help me on this. I am using an XP Machine.

Username: Suhail

i have a sony dcr-hc14e camcorder.how do i transfer video onto hard drive.sony picture package transfers only 3 or 4 minute clips and they r not good.if window of video player is enlarged it gets pixellated.do i need a capture card

Username: Mmh

hi every1...finally found some ray of hope to solve my prob.
i was really excited to buy sony dcr hc-42e handycam (wanted the best
in market) and after recording some very memorable moments i am damn
irritated..coz like many others i am facing the same problem of not
being able to burn vcd ....tried 'n' number times but just can't do it.i
have a Lg cd writer using which i try to burn the mini dv to a cd, i
always encounter the same prob i.e "Please insert a blank disc in the
destination drive"..plz help me solve the prob.i stay in
hyderabad,india..it would be really nice if som1 can tel me where to
buy the required software..plzzzzzzz help!

Username: Solja

London

Hey Berny Help Me Man
My Computer Don't recognise my
Sony DCRHC30E video camera
when i connect it
what software do you recommend i install?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7504
mmh...Sony Handycam is not the best in the market.

Username: Sumit

Hi All,
I have the sony handycam HC42E from 3-4 months.
Thanks for the information you are giving on this forum I am able to convert the dv on harddisk on avi format by the ieee (software ulead videostudio) port to my system. I am able to capture the dv to hard disk in avi format but it taking huge disk space. Also when I am trying to convert it on vcd it is taking long time and stuck up in between.
Please tell me a DV for size 62 min, and avi size more than 10 GB how much time it will take. and is there other way I can create the VCD more quickly .Now I am converting in wmv format and keeping, that also taking a long time.
Thanks in advance

Username: Too_slick

Hi guys
Man i got a Sony DCR-HC30E handycam and i'm running on Win XP Pro. The problem is that i lost my software and anyways i dont know how to transfer my Captured data to the PC or Burn it to a DVD or a VCD. I really need FAST HELP!!

Username: Mmh

hi berny..i agree with u..wel wat i meant was that i trusted the brand name ...
somebody please help me solving the problem....i am tired of buying miniDV cassettes...also i wanna edit the tape before i burn the cd...
can someone please tell me how to find whthr my p.c has a firewire installed...i am quite new to all this...ur suggestions may help me solve the problem....please help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7577
CPL Clarke,
What is your OS and how are you connected to the computer?

Username: Sonnyp

Hi,

I have a little problem with drivers on my Acer TravelMate laptop. I'm trying to plug Panasonic PV-GS35 to it. It finds everything ok, but drivers. In the control panel my two found devices have a little exclamation mark on them (code 10, can not start device). I installed XP from scratch, but still can not make these two to work.
Where would I find drivers for that camcorder?

Username: Bazman

I've had similar problems with locating drivers. For some reason my system checks the wrong folder for drivers so I can't plug and play. If you are having a driver problem you just need to specify the correct location of the driver. In my case (W2K) all drivers are stored in C:\WINNT\inf. You may just need to specify that folder when trying to locate the drivers. Hope that helps.

I now have a quick question. I've just bought a Sony HC35E. I've not burned anything to DVD yet but I've noticed on transferring the clips to the PC there seems to be quite a drop in quality. I'm using high speed USB 2.0 at the mo but am thinking that firewire is probably the way forward. Is this right? Is there any reason why a 1 hour long 350mb copy of a TV program looks great but my 500mb 1 minute clip looks no-where near as good?

My options for capturing the video are Nero, Ulead videostudio 8 (is the newer version any better?) adobe premiere 6.5. What would people recommend? I'm still dabbling with compression but have been using Blaze Media pro to compress using the Divx codec. Any other recommendations on this front?

Cheers for any suggestions you can offer guys.

Username: Imke

Hi,

I had quick look through the forum and now I am quite convinced that it isn't a good idea to try to capture video via usb. Nevertheless I wondered if it is really impossible because my laptop can capture video that is recorded real-time via usb (sony DCR-HC40E) (but still not the data from my dv-tape.) Just because of curiosity.... :-)

Thanks in advance

Username: Mustali

Hi Guys!

I recently bought a refurbished Sony DCR TRV-260 and came to this forum looking for answers to problems similar to those expressed by a multitude of users here:
1) Cannot capture video to PC
2) Picture Package does not recognize blank CD

My solution:
1) Windows Movie Maker is easy to use. Install the drivers that came with the camcorder. Connect camcorder to live power (not battery). Set to USB streaming mode, click 'Capture video' in MM and follow directions. (Set Audio to USB). Being USB, the quality will be low but good enough to share video online (I hope to try firewire once I get the cable).

I also tried VLC media player (www.videolan.org) but no luck. I can see the video but don't know how to capture it - quite irritating.

Video capture by MM is wmv. Has anyone succeeded in capturing the video from the camcorder in avi like PP does? I know that PP captures the video in avi when it does the 'Burn VCD' thing. It then converts the avi file to mpg and VCD format files. Is it possible to do what PP does (capture in avi) without using PP?

2) Reinstall the drivers and Picture Package (PP). PP is a sick software coded with the lowest standards. It cannot burn to a DVD RW drive even when the drive can burn CDs. PP fails to recognize a DVD writable drive. This makes it useless on my laptop which has a DVD RW but not a CD RW drive.

But recently, my 'Burn VCD' option has stopped working. The process automatically shuts-off 3 seconds after it starts. I have set the option to 'Rewind and start capture', so the tape rewinds and plays for 3 seconds and the camocorder displays 'Completed'.. 'Writing' and then stops. Has anybody else with this same problem resolved it? I am calling Sony with this issue. I am fed up trying.

I will also try to capturing using my TV tuner card but I need to buy a converter for the A/V cable. I will report my results here soon.

Peace.

Username: Mustali

Hi again,
Just want to share my experience with capturing video on my TRV-260.

I tried the IEEE connection (bought from ebay for $7) between my sony and my computer with Windows Movie Maker and it worked great! It also allows me to control the camera playback from WMM. The captured file can be saved in high-quality AVI or any other format.

I also tried a A/V input to my cheap video capture-card and that worked great too. I can use it convert the video captured into MPEG2 using the on-board MPEG compressor.

Definitely beats messing with Picture Package!

Peace.

Username: Nikster

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew if you could use your camcorder to record a tape from a vcr and then use your camcorder to connect to the pc and make a dvd? If this is possible how do you copy the tape with your camcorder from the vcr? I have a sony dcr-hc21.
Thanks

Username: Toothpick

Hello I have a Sondy Handycam TRV-138 and Pinnacle Studio version 10 500-usb. I connect the A/V cables to the device then the usb to the computer from the device. It says I need to be connected to a 1394 port on my computer which I don't have and I don't think I have a port on my camera for it anyways.

I guess my main question is how can I transfer video from my trv-138 hi8 camera to my computer. All I have is composite inputs. Sorry if this is confusing and thanks a ton.

Username: Usbusb

hi all. has anybody here owned Panasonic NV-DS65EN? I've been capturing the video to pc via usb cable provided n have used sotware such as windows movie maker, ulead etc.. the thing is the video captured wasnt in real time, ie it lags n jerky. So how do you NV-DS65EN owners do it then? thanks,,,

Username: Gurujee

Hi gromit and berny and others,
i really feel proud that u are helping us a lot regarding the matters of handcam problem.

As a beginer, i dont know what a fire wire is. Is it a card ? a Capture card? or a cable. my cam has a usb port, i-link port, and s-video port. but my pc doesn't have any port other than usb. USB reducing 75% picture quality and also frame rate. FRom where i can purchase this firewire cable or card.... can i-link cable not be connected with general pc other than sony vaio. i want to increase the quality of video. but when i transfer them quality reduces and also the audio doesnt match with video....... please need help........about the firewire .... from where i can purchase. what will i ask to shopkeeper..please help

Username: Usbusb

Post Number: 5
hi guruXXXXX....get n installed ur pc with a firewire card....cable usually included in the package....bcos i just did n capturing works well.....

Username: Tinypet

Hi there, GR-D200. driver software uploaded. all connected via USB. can tranfer still images but cam being selfish with vids. image mixer says 'camcorder not found' no video through web cam either, settings say, u cannot alter webcam settings as ther is no camcorder connected to pc!! any suggestions before my post natal hair loss turns into hair loss via me pulling it out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8730
NO USB. Use firewire as connection.

Username: Kumar1505

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Hi,

I have sony DCR-HC42E camcorder, I have installed the picture package 1.5 (which i recieved with HandyCam Pack) to my pc to Burn VCD from my mini DV to pc. the problem my pc dose note show the TARGET DRIVE...and Source Drive why is that ? is because Iam using only USB cable..dose usb cable can transfer data to burn VCD or I have to buy i link cable? ADVICE PLS.
Regds,
Krishnakumar

Username: Samisoni

SuvaFiji

hey guys,
i recently bought a sony handy dv cam: DC-HC21 ntsc, and am having trouble burning my video from the tape to disk or the computer even. i am using my usb connection and everytime i try, the computer tells me to press the "burn to CD" button on the camera. thing is, there is no Burn to Cd button or is there? please advise on how i can go about in making a VCD from the tape.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9388
Read the threads Samisoni. Your question has been answered before.

Username: Sunil_22970

My soni hanycam HE46 when connected to laptop not recognised. When I connect thr USB it starts installation, but finally a error message flashes_ 'driver installation file missing a necessary entry. This may be due to INF was written for Win 95 or later.' What does it mean. What shold I do. Pl. help me out.

Username: Thedarkembassy

hello guys
I have been having a major problem with Movie Maker for the past few days. At first it worked really well. But for the past few days the clips that i try to capture on Movie Maker ( from my handy cam , i have a sony DCR-TRV480E PAL ) are shown really enlarged. Okay .. not exactly enlarged .. i guess pixelated is the better word.I have also included two pictures , one from the time when Movie Maker worked fine , and the other, since it started showing distorted videos. Could you please help me !

The proper pic :- [Link removed]
The Distorted Pic :- [Link removed]

the sad part is .. i tried with other video capturing programs .. and it still came out like this .. please guys help me

Username: Thedarkembassy

oh yeah .. and if you think the first image isnt all that great either .. i guess thats coz i had recorded it for a small bandwidth ..

if you know how to fix that pixel problem i have then .. plz plz plz plz plz plz plz email me at thedarkembassy@gmail.com :'(

Thanks in advance

Username: Javenger

Sony Handycam DCR-HC20

Problem: When I use Picture Package VCD Maker, the moment I press Start, a message pops up saying, "Please insert blank disc in destination drive." This message pops up whether I have an empty CD-R disc in there or not. Please help.

Username: Patch97236

I need help with my Sony Handycam CCD-TRV608. I need to transfer the footage to my PC, and as previously stated by others this Camcorder doesn't have firewire. I have a ATI TV Tuner installed on my PC but it only has a yellow jack(Port) for Video In, and I can't get sound. What are my options other than USB, and is it possible to somehow connect firewire to my camcorder? I'm hoping this thread hasn't fazed out and someone will respond. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13522
Unless the ATI TV tuner has inputs for audio, you will get no sound.

To simplify things get a video/audio capture card.

Do a search on DAZZLE.

Username: Cobes

PA USA

Well I have a SONY HANDYCAM VISION - STEADY SHOT CCD-TRV608 NTSC VIDEO HI8 W/USB STREAMING.
Impressed? Don't be...it's just an ok camcorder.
I am able to transfer from camcorder to PC using either Windows Movie maker or Muvee Producer (both of which came with Windows XP Media Center)
I did this using the supplied USB cable. Now the videos are saved in .wmv format with WMM and .avi in Muvee. The .wmv are MUCH smaller in file size than the .avi (which are EXTREMELY HUGE!) The quality (or should I say lack of) of each file format are virtually the same, so if you have a choice, choose the .wmv format. Since I'm using the videos for taping a track event, 400m, the videos are not very smooth. I would suggest you capture it using 320 x 240 (yea, I KNOW it's small) but it will be the clearest during playback.
I bought a Firewire to Firewire cable on eBay but when I got it, I quickly discovered the smaller end of the cable (that goes to the camcorder) didn't fit the camcorder. Turns out I have a mini 5 pin connector on the camcorder output and NOT a true firewire connector. Damn...
So, I then noticed I also have a S-Video output connector as well. So I did a little research and "thought" an S-Video to USB cable would give me a little better resolution. So back to eBay I go and got the cable today BUT neither WMM or Muvee would recognize the camcorder. So I check my Device Manager for anything obvious and all checked out ok.
So after 2 new cables, I still can't get any better video. I'm afraid my camcorder might be providing the OLD USB 1.0 standard output @ about 12 Mbps data flow which just ISN'T gonna give you smooth video. I could be wrong bit I thought S-Video gave better data flow for sure than USB 1.0 but I'm not sure. Since I'm running USB 2.0 with XP SP-2, I was hoping to get a better data flow rate using the S-Video output. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as good as Firewire but I was hoping for a compromise...
I tried searching for an adapter that might be able to convert my mini 5 pin to a 4 pin Firewire so I could use my Firewire to Firewire cable (not even sure it would even work) but I think I got my answer because I couldn't find such an adapter... oh well
Anybody have any idea why my camcorder isn't being recognized with the S-Video (camcorder) output to the USB (PC input) connection??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated even though I might not be able to accomplish the task.
Thanks cobes...

Username: Jiro

I have a CCD-TRV608 and usb cable, but I can't tranfer video from camcorder to PC. What's thing I need to tranfer it?
Thanks alot

Username: Tazzyuk

I have a Sony Handycam CCD-TRV228E (Hi8)

Output choices are:

AV Minijack
S Video Output (4 pin mini din)

No firewire sockets here I'm afraid.

Whats my best option for transferring to DVD (HD then burner!)

Looking for the best quality ( as most of us are) but no expensive equipment outlay!

Any advice would be appreciated

Taz

Username: Raghugud

Bangalore, Karanataka India

Dear All,
I brought a new Handycam but that Software CD i Lost please tell how to download in Net my Modle No is DCRTRV 285E please help me out if any one have
My Mail ID is raghugud@gmail.com

Username: Asdfghjkl

i have a dcr-trv280 w/usb streaming

where is the usb connecter? im an idiot and cant find it

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15716
At the edge of the right side with a dark gray port cover for the DV, A/V, and USB ports.

Use the DV output instead of USB.

Username: Ryann08

i have a sony dcr-45 (hdd)and i want to edit the videos from my handycam in Pinnacle Studio 9(not thru firewire coz there's no firewire port in the handycam...only usb port is provided whereas we require a firewire to capture videos if we use pinnacle studio)or adobe premiere 6.0.how will i make this possible???? how to import the videos to pinnacle /premiere???? plsssss help.....

Username: Cheeno

Hi, how are u,
I have a Sony DCR - TRV19 NTSC, mi problem is:
I cant capture a video in Premier Pro because in the Device type setting is not that type, please help me!!! U know another way to caputre?

el_chino4@hotmail.com

Username: Shyam28dec

Hi,
I have sony handicam (DCR- HC32E) and i am not able to download video, where as i am able to download the pics. Error message - Disconnect the USB cable before chaning the setting. Is there any such setting?

Thanks
Shyam

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 512
You'll need to download video via Firewire (aka i.Link) to burn to DVD. Read the manual.

Username: Sandi406

HI THERE
I AM COMPLETLY COMPUTER ILLITERATE AND AGAIN WITH THE SONY HANY CAM (SONY DCR-DVD803 NTSC)( APPLEMAC) I OWN. I DONT HAVE ANY OF THE SOFTWARE FOR THE HANDYCAM SO I CANT LOAD IT ONTO THE COMPUTER. IVE LOOKED ON THE SONY WEBSITE TO GAIN INFO BUT IT DOESN'T WORK IN AUSTRALIA? PLEASE IF YOU CAN HELP ME CAN YOU TALK ME THROUGH IT IN LAY MANS TERMS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
SANDI

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 545
Sandi,

You don't need to use a PC.

Finalize the 8cm DVD that you recorded with the Sony DCR-DVD803. Page 44 of the owner's manual describes how to do this. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from http://www.sony.com.au

Once you finalize the DVD, it will play in any DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us