Help me

Username: Rustyt

Post Number: 1
Hey,
I have a JVC GR-D270 mini DV camcorder. I don't have a firewire or a DV cable. How can i get video from my camera to my windows xp?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 328
Billy Joe,

I'm assuming that your end objective here is to make DVDs from your camcorder footage.

To start this project, you will probably need to buy one or two things (all specific products are just suggestions - each person has their own preferences):

1) A firewire card to connect your camcorder to your PC.

Don't try to use USB unless there is absolutely no alternative. Firewire cards are very cheap (approx $20) and normally come bundled with a cable and video editing software. The editing software is also used for transferring the video to your PC. Both PCI and PCMCIA versions are readily available. For JVC camcorders, use of firewire cards made with TI chipsets is recommended. An unconfirmed list of PCI cards with TI chipset is:
ADS Tech-PYRO PCI 64 (Circuit City)
Belkin F5U503 (Wal Mart, Comp USA)
Pinnacle DVClip
Pinnacle DV/AV
Syba VIA (pcimicro.com)

An unconfirmed list of PCMCIA cards with TI chipset is:
Belkin F5U513
ADS Tech-Pyro 1394DV for Notebooks

2) A DVD burner

The more expensive models will normally come equipped with quite decent software for making DVDs. By "making DVDs" I mean the way you set up menus, file structures etc. This process is also know as "authoring".

3) Some software

Ulead make a suite of programmes that will cover all your needs. It's easy to use and actually comes bundled with some DVD burners, such as Pioneer. There are two types of software: capture/edit and DVD authoring.

Capture/edit:

Ulead VideoStudio: supplied with Pioneer DVD burners (retail version), many firewire cards, and can sometimes be found free on the cover of PC Magazines.
Roxio VideoWave (the one I usually use). I got mine supplied with a firewire card, but normally I think you have to buy this one
Moviemaker: supplied as part of Windows XP.

Authoring:

Ulead Moviefactory: supplied with Pioneer DVD burners (retail version) or can be bought on-line

Just FYI, the basic steps of making home DVDs are:

1) connect the camera using firewire (you only need to buy a card if your PC is not already equipped with firewire ports) and capture the raw footage. An important note here: make sure at least the camcorder, and preferably the PC is turned off when you connect the cable into your camcorder. This is to prevent possible damage to the camcorder firewire port.
2) edit the raw footage into useable video clips
3) drag and drop the clips into a DVD authoring package and burn the DVD

You can check out this guide for assistance on using Ulead VideoStudio to transfer video from your camcorder to your PC: http://www.jonesgroup.net/media/videostudiodvcaptureone.htm

A lot of the information in the above guide is superfluous though - if you just read the first and last pages you probably have enough to get you started.

I don't have a "how to" reference for MovieFactory but it is quite intuitive to use. You can also find a lot of "how to" guides at www.videohelp.com.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Dude sure I will help! I am only 13 but I will be arsed to help you!
I have been searching for a long time to help you and along the way I have realised that my new post was the same problem you had! When I searched I found this and many people said it worked

"Here's what i found. I was able to clear the message by opening and closing and ejecting the cassette. I also had to play with the battery at the same time. Keeping the cassette door open and then pulling out the battery. After is did this a couple of times i got the message to clear. I too haven't used my camcorder for some time and now that the error message has cleared the camcorder tells me that i need to clean the heads. Hope this helps. Below is the message i found that pointed me toward ejecting the cassette. Good Luck, i'm off to buy a tape head cleaning cassette. An error indication (E03 or E04) appears. - (E03 or E04 UNIT IN SAFEGUARD MODE REMOVE AND REATTACH BATTERY) This massage a malfunction of some kind has occurred. In this case the camcorder's functions become unusable. - Eject the cassette once and re-insert it, then check if the indication clears. When it does, you can resume using the camcorder. If the indication remains, consult your nearest JVC dealer or service center"

PeteNice79
Unregistered guest
I have JVC's GR-D270U. Great cam but they only provide a USB cable. The USB is only for transferring stills. IGNORE THE STATEMENT ON PAGE 45 that says you can transfer still or video using the USB. You have to use the IEEE1394 cable to transfer your video. You also have to purchase an SD card. Warning JVC says to only use a 64 becuse no tests have been done with anything larger. I put in a 512 and all was well.

Unregistered guest
Gromit,
you seem to know alot about the video so I guess you are the go to man
I have a JVC GR-D270u mini digital cam.
I bought an IEEE 1394 card and cable, it was detected fine, and it detects my camera when I turn it on.
my question is, how the heck do I transfer the video on my tape to the computer? I have Nero ultra, and U-leadvideo studio dv.
I can not find a way to transfer the tape to computer????? it captures vidio, but no transfer.
any hel would be much appreciated.
Jon

Unregistered guest
I seem to have the same problem everyone else has. I have a JVC GR-D70 camcorder and I can't get my laptop to recognize my camcorder via a firewire cable. When I plug the firewire cable from my laptop to my camcorder and turned on the camcorder nothing happens. My computer won't recognize the camcorder, and when I tried using U-leadvideo to capture the video off of my tape it said that "no device was connected to capture the video". Can somebody please help me!

Leo Tam
Unregistered guest
Is there a way use the JVC GR-D270 as a recorder to record images from an external analog video camera? I have an analog camera with special features not found in the GR-D270. I am able to do this with a sonny camcorder because it has video connectors, which aren't available on the GR-D270.

Thanks.

Leo

Unregistered guest
cannot get my ieee 1394 to detect my video camera

Username: Reedy212

Oakdale, MN United States

Did anyone ever get this issue resolved, I'm not getting my comp. to detect the vid. camera

Username: Lbmitche

Post Number: 6
I'll try to address the most recent issues starting with September 1, 2005.
From tepestnightmare: "it captures vidio, but no transfer." I'm not sure what you mean. If it captures video then it did transfer. They're the same thing. It either captures (transfers) or it doesn't. The programs you mention should help. Try Windows Movie Maker. You can capture in that one also. The Windows XP version is actually very good.
From Jasong26: Problem: "No device connected" Same problem from Arkworf and Matt Reed-- You can try a couple of things. Attach camera with firewire first, turn on camera, boot up computer and see if it recognizes new hardware. If you have Windows XP it should recognize it, but may ask for drivers anyway. You should have a CD in your box. Install the CD when prompted and follow the prompts. It should install the drivers. I just got a new JVC GRD271, shot some video, connected it as I described above, used the CD (Windows ME) and it recognized it right away.
Leo Tam's issue is different. He's trying to run analog video from a camera into the JVC GRD270 which doesn't have analog input connectors. If the goal is to get the video in digital tape format to then capture it using firewire, then skip this step and go straight from the analog camera to the computer using an external converter such as Dazzle. Hope this helps.

Josef Riedl
Unregistered guest
Is there absolutely no way to use the USB connection on a JVC GRD270 to transfer video data? Please help because we do not have the option of putting a firewire card.
Thank you very much!!

Unregistered guest
i bought the ADS Tech-PYRO PCI 64 card and installed it yet my pc doesnt recognize that it is installed and i have a jvc GR-D3OU dv camcorder and when i connect it to the pc via firewire my pc doesnt recognize it either. how do i solve this problem?

Krysten
Unregistered guest
What drivers are needed to capture and edit video from a camcorder?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4869
Josef,
Absolutely no way. You can try and try and you will hear different things. Good luck anyway on your attempt.

Username: Whiner6782

I have a JVC D270u Camcorder. I want to make DVD's from the video on my camcorder. From what I am understanding, I need to purchase a IEEE1394 cable. I already have the DVD Program to make it, just need to get the video. Can someone tell me if this is correct or if I need something else.

Thank You VERY Much

Gold Member

Post Number: 7574
Yes, that is correct. You also need to check if your computer has a port for IEEE1394 or what is also called a firewire port.

If you do not have this...the right cable is not going to do you any good.

Username: Ldragoun

South Carolina US

I have never owned a camcorder before so I need some help in how to pick one.What I want to know is how do I go about picking the right camcorder? I want to be able to take videos outdoor, indoors, normal and low to almost no light, I also want to be able to take great still photos outdoor, indoors, normal and low to almost no light. I want something that will not be to awfully complicated to learn to use but at the same time will give me good quality video and stills in outdoor, indoors, normal and low to almost no light situations. And of course I want to be able to download the photos/videos to my pc. I appreciate whatever recomendations anyone may have for me. I have looked at several different brands and models and I just don't have a clue what to pick. I want to spend a max of $500 if possible. I appreciate any feedback/recomendations you can give me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8271
JVC Everio...or any camcorder that can record on a hard drive and no tapes or DVDs. If you want stiull photos, get a regular digital camera made for still photos. A combo camera is not the way to go...

Username: Spunkylilboo

I've read a ton of these forums and it seems people have been able to transfer movies from their JVC GR-D270U. I have a firewire cable and I can get the PC to recognize the camera butit won't let me transfer the video that I have recorded on the mini DV tape in the camera to the PC. When I try to open the camera it looks as though there is nothing showing up on the tape. Help Please!!

Username: Spunkylilboo

Post Number: 4
I should clarify, I don't want to capture video while I use the PC. I want to download video which I have already recorded on the tape to the PC so that I can email it to family members.

Username: Max45

Hi!
I have a gr-d 270u. I need software. I like download from somewhere.Can you help for me? Thanks:-)

Username: Joshmc

I have a GR-D270 and windows XP. I have the correct firewire and a 1394 card. When i try to transfer video footage to my laptop it freezes and i have to turn off my computer. I can get it to work on a friends laptop but not mine. can someone help me and tell me why it freezes when i try to dl video. thank you

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15527
How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM does the laptop have?

Username: Joshmc

Post Number: 2
.99 GB of ram

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15538
On both?

Check the system resources as well. If your PC is running a lot of programs in the background, you will have some problems. You would also need at least 2 gigs of RAM capture and edit videos semi-decently.

Username: Tofdog

how can i transfer video with just a usb, my computer does not have firewire.?

Username: Yes_murali

I purchased a JVC GRD270 camcorder. It is functioning nicely. So far I used to get the help of professionals for transferring the video to my computers/DVD. Now I would like to video transfer of my own. I purchased an firewire for the same. But the supplying vendor instructs me to use the software provided by JVC for capturing the video. Unfortunately my software support CD provided along with the camcorder goes missing. I will be greateful if you could mail me the weblink from where I could download the same.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 134
You should be able to use Windows Movie Maker software to transfer video from the JVC GRD270 to your PC using Firewire. Windows Movie Maker comes included with Windows.

tutorials at -
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net

Username: Rhugsrn

I just purchased the firewire cable and my computer is recognizing the JVC GR-D270 camcorder. It is showing up in my devices and printers area. When I load windows movie maker 2.6 it is not showing the camcorder is there to transfer video. I am operating on Windows 7. How can I get this to work??

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 234
See if this website can help you.
Who knows how Windows 7 is with Firewire.
http://windowsmoviemakers.net/

I have always recommended using a standalone DVD recorder -- very easy to use -- instead of a PC for transfering video to DVD, but no one seems to pay attention.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us