Point & Shoot closest to a DSLR

Username: Msy123

Post Number: 3
Hi All,

I have the Ixus 60. Recently a friend took a picture of my baby with his Canon 400D. And the results were fabulous. Specially with the blurred backgroud - he used the 50 mm prime lens.

Now I am thinking of getting one, but its a pain to carry it on sightseeing, which is when we take the most pictures. I read that there are a few high-end point-&-shoots which I can think of.

My question therefore is: How good is the image quality of these cameras. Do they come close to the DSLRs?

Technically I am not very good with cameras, but from what I read, the following factors seem to be important in deciding which point-&-shoot would come closest to a DSLR. I may be wrong and a healthy discussion would ofcourse enable me to make a better choice.

1. Sensor size: for obvious reasons
2. wide angle lens gives better pictures then zoom ones (<28mm)
3. Manual control.
4. Aperture priority
5. Shutter speed
6. Continuous shots (I take a lot of pictures using this feature to capture those expressions of my baby)

Based on these I was comparing the following models:
Canon G10
Nikon P6000
Panasonic DMC LX3
Ricoh GX200
The comparison between them can be found at the following link from dpreview.com.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon _g10%2Cnikon_cpp6000%2Cpanasonic_dmclx3%2Cricoh_gx200&show=all

Are these all good cameras? On paper, the G10 shoots only at 0.7 fps, otherwise it seems to be a good option. So does the Ricoh, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of the EVF it has. The sensor size of panasonic is the largest.

The megapixels and the optical zoom aren't important. Taking nice portraits of my baby is of highest importance. Hope to get some really helpful responses.

Mangesh
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us