MiniDV Tape Panasonic NV-GS15 to Laptop

Username: Valcandy

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

the issue is that I don't have a firewire cable and I need to transfer the video now!

I borrowed the camera and the lender can't find the cable.
Am I right to say that with no exceptions a USB connection won't transfer video to a laptop?

Also, does this camcorder require any drivers/software to transfer the video from the MiniDV?

Thank you so much.

Upload

Username: Virgin69

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 1
I need to get video to my laptop and yes only or through USB. The camera is a Sony DCR-TRV16E. Does ANYONE know where to get the damn driver for my laptop running XP. Hopefully thats all I will need...but then again this is my first try!!! Any tips tricks or good wishes are appreciated!!!
THE VIRGIN*L ONE

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 2
ps Is there no way to transfer video to a laptop?

Post Number: 2
Waiting for some genius to reply.

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 3
val- I don't think anyone is paying any attention to us. I found the driver...still no go. My usb ports are slow speed so I bought a usb hub that converts to the faster 2.0 usb connection. I am working on this like I used to work on cars, only to find out all I needed was some damned gas. The virg*nl one

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15822
Did the USB hub work?

Post Number: 3
USB doesn't work on mine, u can only extract photos out.

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 85
Firewire. Period.

If you had bothered downloading and reading the owner's manual, you'd known that.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15827
I'm just wondering if these geniuses figured it out yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I have never understood people who insist on trying to get their equipment to work the way they want it to regardless of what their equipment actually can do.
a total waste of time

there are some camcorders that will transfer videos via USB2 but these are the newer camcorders with the hard drives

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 4
A. Why did the camera come with a USB port connecter and no firewire output.

B. What are the steps (if any) from USB out to Firewire in. Or is it still just a total waste of time and money.

In other words is it just cheaper to buy a camera that goes straight to hard drive?

the Virvin*l one

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
A.) No firewire output. Oh, really?
That must be news to Sony because their Owner's Manual clearly shows one. Sony calls it iLink. Does that ring a bell?

You really should read that manual. Pay special attention to page 204-205.

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 5
I have a camera LIKE VALS...my camera is a different model. It is a Sony DCR-TRV16E. You may have overlooked the fine print, sorry my fault I did not make it more obvious. I've been reading page 219 but my computer does not recognize my camera as an external drive.
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3075067121.pdf
The Virgin*l One

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 6
I see the i-link, so does this connect to firewire input only?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
It connects via USB for getting still images ie photos that you saved to the miniDV tape and for allowing you to view the video on your computer. My Panasonic PV GS15 is the same way.

BUT to do what you want to do - transfer video to your PC, you must use the iLink aka IEEE1394 aka Firewire 400. If you don't want to use Firewire, you can use the audio/video cable item#5 on page 3 of the manual and a video capture card installed on your PC.

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 7
Are we looking at the same manual. Page 3 has a few sentences and phone numbers for germany customers. Go figgur.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
It is the page with the drawings/pictures of the all the accessories included with your camacorder.

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 8
I bought a firewire / usb 2.0 pcmcia adapter card on-line from newegg.com and hopefully...fingers crossed...that will do the trick. The card I am getting also has a 4 pin 1394a port. Is this the port to connect my Sony camera to?

The Virgin*l One

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Usually the Firewire ports on PC side is 6-pin and on the camcorder side is 4-pin, but whichever it is, the Firewire port is the one you want to use.

Does your card come with a Firewire cable? Otherwise, you'll need to buy one.

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 9
I have an existing mini 1394a 4 pin port but the card I purchased has both a regular 6 pin and a mini 4 pin. Will either work?

The Virgin*l One

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Yes, either should work.
I hope after all of this, you are capturing video.

Good luck!

By the way, before capturing video, defrag your hard drive.

You'll need about 13GB per tape.

Eugene, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 10
Thank you LK and everyone else who helped out. As soon as I get the parts and ie: portable hardrive to clear all the crap from my current drive...firewire, so on and and so on...I will let you know how it goes. The more I work with this PC laptop of mine, the more I swear to myself I will get a mac and catch up with the learning curve.

The Virgin*l One
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us