What Type of Digital Camcorder Should I Buy

Username: Dnamertz

Post Number: 1
I want to get a digital camcorder. The 8 year old camcorder we have now is not digital, and one thing I want is to be able edit video, and easily send video electronically.

But I'm reading about the different formats I read that when editing video from disc-based camcorders and camcorders with hard-drives you get "artifacts in the edited recording because of the compression". How prevelant of a problem is this, and does this also happen with camcorders that use memory cards/memory sticks?

The digital camera I use now takes videos nicely and there is no problem editing, I just want a comcorder dedicated to video.

It sounds like editing with a MiniDV is better, but if you have to upload it in real-time I'm not sure if I want that.

Username: Video99

Plymouth, Devon UK

Post Number: 1
Dan

For the best quality, miniDV is the way to go. Hard disk / memory card / DVD camcorders use MPEG2 or similar compression which is not ideal for editing. Yes you can get artifacts, lip-synch errors and inaccurate edit points with compressed video file formats.

The real-time upload to a computer really is a very small price to pay. You run the tape to computer which it captures as DV AVI format, which is a lightly compressed format and will edit cleanly with affordable software such as Pinnacle Studio 11.

Regards,

Colin

www.video99.co.uk
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us