Going old school

Username: Shadwag

Post Number: 1
In my high school days I used to rock out with some cerwin vega vs 10's and a 50x2 pioneer.

Then I got a little more into it and got a yamaha 60x5 right when 5.1 came out. I was an undergrad in college. I never ran it in surround sound as planned but always got good sound from some boston acoustics cr9's (2 way 8" bass and 1 or 2" tweets I think) and a panasonic dvd player. Boston really had something with the cr-9...add a sub if you like rap, but anything else was slamming on those things. (I don't like rap)

Years later (2-3) I end up in a new city...A graduate student (UAB) and not much money, as before. At one point I had all my stuff in storage and I'm conviced that since I didn't insure the unit, some crackhead broke in and got my yamerha and bostons.

Time to rebuild. I scrapped a little and got enough to buy a marantz sr-3300 off ebay (60x2). It said new in box and it showed up new in box alright.

I was expecting a mid to late 90's stereo reciever leftover from god knows where. What I got was a late 80's (1988 stamped on the warranty card) stereo reciever capable of matrix surround, which I'd never heard of until I was thumbing thru the manual that came with this thing...somehow still NIB...(had marantz labeled tape still sealing the box).

Anyways, I live w/ my girlfriend of two years and her 4yr. old daughter in an apartment. The marantz is high above reach from the 4yr. on top of the tv cabinet.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/shadwag/ht001.jpg
I decided to go with the bose acoustimass 3 for the front. It was cost effective (200 new) and blended in so that the 4 yr. old doesn't show much interest. I'm waiting on some 201's from ebay to try out the matrix. I'll wall mount them.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/shadwag/ht002.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/shadwag/ht003.jpg

Before I get going, let me just say this. If you aren't a complete audio snob, don't put too much into the bad reputation bose has in places like this. I think the acoustimass 3 does pretty well for only using a 5.25" woofer and 2 small cubes (what are they, 2" tweets?) Not block party material, but hey...pretty smooth sound at moderate volumes for the price.

If you live in an apt. and were wondering, "Am I grand annoyance for owning 2 grand worth of audio gear and playing it to it's fullest capabilities?" I'm sorry to say, yes you are.

I used to dream of one day owning some super array of KEF, Mirage, PSB, Paradigm, or might I throw in Legacy. But you know, it's not worth the $$ or effort until you own a home.

It's all coming, and when it does, I'll probably say the hell with all the surround sound hype.

A whumpin reciever and 2 speakers is all you need. I've got my heart set on an old McIntosh or newer NAD and some Klipsch towers w/ dual 8's and the horn.

Keep on dreamin your dream all you audio nuts...but be a little nicer on bose. Remember to keep it simple...If the system is only as good as the weakest link, try not to have so many links.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 228
Sweet stuff to bad about ur Yammy and bostons

Username: Dariusburnett

Post Number: 1
You have motivated me to realize ideas that are only in my mind. I dream about a PSB. And until now, I have thought that it would be possible in the distant future. But you have overturned my mind. I have a plan, and I will be back here and write after a month...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us