ASHLEY HOME CINEMA

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1258
Well I said I'll get some images of my small, but it's not finished yet so the management is proud to present ASHLEY'S HOME CINEMA.

Note: three-screen "JBL CONTROL 5" placed across the front Note above centre channel is the JBL MR for the upper centre channel.
Upload

Note: JBL 4645 18inc 600watts continues program power down to 20Hz cut-off 80Hz sub bass Professional THX cinema approved.
Upload

The image is a bit dark sorry, anyway this is the right side surround JBL control 5 placed at the side back, in the middle is the Eltax HT-2Bipolar this is used for ambient surround matrix mixed down from the fronts.
Upload

The again just a little bit dark sorry, anyway this is the centre back surround JBL HT-1F this will produce a loud SPL db level up to 105db in the centre of the room.
Upload

The image is a bit dark sorry, anyway this is the left side surround JBL control 5 placed at the side back, in the middle is the Eltax HT-2Bipolar this is used for ambient surround matrix mixed down from the fronts.
Upload

Though a little bit unclear at the top is the SONY DVP-S336 DVD region 2 below it is the Pioneer DV-525 DVD region 2, below that is the Ferguson videostar Hi-Fi NICAM VCR not used as much now only for the odd film on VHS, and blow that is the Pioneer CLD-1750 Laserdisc player PAL / NTSC still in use, and lastly below that is the Pioneer CLD-2950 Laserdisc player PAL / NTSC again still in use.
Upload

This is the SoudLab 2WEX Active X-over for the centre channel this gives a bit more gain and increasing dialogue intelligibility further X- 20Hz to 500Hz to 20KHz 18db octave.
Upload

At the top is the JVC EQ this is for the split-surrounds, below that is the Marantz 1030 this is for the rear side split-surrounds, below that is the Marantz 1050 this is for the front centre channel, and the centre back surround channel, below that is the Marantz 1050 this for the front left and right mains each amplifier is for three-screen matching JBL control 5 and the for the centre back JBL HT-1F.
Upload

On top is the mixer that I have been using to do the LFE test, below that the Pioneer VSP-200 this used to produce two more extra ambient channels which comes from the fronts from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select which is placed below, the Pioneer VSP-200 is Dolby pro-logic with auto balance, it got onboard amplifiers for the upper centre channel and the side middle ambient surround matrix, below the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select. Is the Yamaha DSR-70pro-logic this is used for the centre back surround with height surround ready, also the side rear split-surrounds, the pre-outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D are going into the pre-inputs on the front Lt Rt to produce the signals with all output to separate EQ's. and lastly at the bottom is the Yamaha DSP-100 this is used for taking the signal from the Active X-over Lf and HF outputs and the out puts to the amplifier.
Upload

Anyway there's more to come....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1260
Close up of the left side rear of the JBL control 5.
Upload

Close up of the right side rear of the JBL control 5.
Upload

Close up of the EQ's including two "RTA" the other RTA is on the pc.
Upload

View of microphone face the front, for testing and calibration alignment.
Upload

This image shows the microphone, when calibrating the sound system with the use of an RTA.
Upload

Close up view of the JBL HT-1F centre back surround.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1261
Laserdiscs and DVD's and more close ups of the JBL control 5...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1262
More close ups of the JBL 4645 professional THX cinema approved and dts millennium dts decode not in use as the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select as Dolby and dts digital decoding.

Upload

Upload

Close up of the JBL 2240H/ 18inc sub bass driver.
Upload

Note: millennium decode, above is a Teletex decoder.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1263
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1268
Now showing "STAR WRAS" EPISODE 4 A NEW HOPE, the force is strong with the JBL 4645.

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1271
A film for every mood, from Laserdisc to DVD's/ Action, Musicals, Romance, Horror, Sci-Fi Documentary's, Thrillers, True story events, just about enough to sink a battle ship.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1272
A film for every mood, from Laserdisc to DVD's/ Action, Musicals, Romance, Horror, Sci-Fi Documentary's, Thrillers, True story events, just about enough to sink a battle ship.

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 24
Your wire management seems pretty good. I like the cardboard speaker holders as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1298
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2288
Holy smokes andy....

That's a "LOT" of electronics. Thanks for sharing.

Ya know...
You really ought to consider putting your movies in alphabetical order!!!

You and I also share a similar taste in movies. I guess when you have that many, we're bound to overlap:-)

You should put an astrisk next to the description...."this setup is NOT for WAFfers".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1325
Paul

There's titles like (20th century fox) films on the top shelf below that is Paramount and then "Columbia tri-star home video" (Universal) (Columbia pictures) (tri-star) below that "Buena Vista" (Disney) (Touchstone) which leads into (Warner Bros).

So I keep them in order to the Studios that produced them, and if I wanted to make it look a whole lot more entertaining, which would take a few hours to design, but figuring the space these films take up over "Laserdiscs" 1# being so affordable over there big brother or daddy, DVD's multiply like bugs a before you know it, your surrounds by them, et the picture.

The home cinema is not finished as of yet, this is only temporary up front I'll be building a baffle wall like in the Lucasfilm "THX" cinemas, this will extended the frequency response down lower on the three-screen matching JBL control 5 and the JBL 4645, which mind you already goes down to THX Quake levels.

Anyway glad you found it of some amusement and hope it was an eye opener to the seed of things to come.........

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 214
I like your setup and your large collection (nice to see your not one of those woh own pirated copies of movies) Check mine out sometime its under the "My bascially done HT" thread.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1331
JC,

Cheers there's no pirate copy's in my home cinema set-up everything is legitimate, though it's still under construction with lots a ideas like a "THX baffle" wall, about something tells me it will be a problem to install, I haven't updated the images with any thing new reason is there no point, the positioning of the three-screen channels are placed in differently as to the images in my first post hear on the (Bragging) page.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2408
Any pirated copies would be lousy quality anyway. If you either have a good sound system or large screen, a pirated copy would look and sound like crap.

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 215
Well thast not entirely true, there are programs out their that make duplicate copies of dvd's like DVD Xcopy. They make identical copies ( I know of people that rent movies and then burn it) Its more of a moral thing, and personally I find it stupid when people have a full library of pirated material. I will admit I have watched these movies and they are of identical quality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2426
I disagree...

You're little $300 DVD burner cant reproduce the quality from the origional. If you had a 'real' soundsystem, you'll hear the difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2427
Also, screen size will make a difference. If you're watching the movie on your friends 27" in his mothers basement, you probably wont see a difference.

Now put that on a 10' screen or a large HDTV, and the differences will become more noticable.

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 216
I agree screen size does make a difference and I assure you the difference is not noticeable,
I use this to watch my movies and they look great.
Upload
(the actual ones) and when my friends bring their movies over it looks identical. Not the best example, but my actual Napoleon Dynamite was identical to my friends burned one.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 22
Regarding the topic of DVD copies versus original...I believe that the sound is identical. The video is somewhat inferior to the original if compression is required(--original size exceeds 4.7 GB which is almost always the case)

Username: Mysterio

Post Number: 6
Damn that's a lot of electronics! Love it! On a side note I don't buy bootlegs unless they are not in print or out of print like SPIDERMAN & HIS AMAZING FRIENDS or SILVER SURFER animated

Gold Member

Post Number: 1332
You bet, though this I only put together over the coarse of years, it's one of affordability, and simplicity....

Although some of you will be turning on the wrong switch for all this, and though it's not high tech, it does perform very well...

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 31
Hey Andy, this is impressive ! very well done Mate!

Hey, can you please tell me how to upload the Pictures? Everytime I try I get a message saying that the image is too big !

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1333
Zorro'

Take the picture that you what to be seen, and then upload it to the pc this will be saved on (hard-drive) which will be in (My pictures) folder, you will then enter (My pictures) folder and look for the image that you have save, once found right click over the image, and look for (edit) press edit this will enable you to, reduce the size of the image to within the correct size format, then save the image under a different name...

You will then be able to open the image and post this on the (Ecoustics) forums.

Also about edit there are some techniques that can be used to manipulate the image anyway Zorro' hope this information is of some help to you.....

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 34
Andy,
Thanks a lot mate, I will try and see what happens

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1848

quote:

You're little $300 DVD burner cant reproduce the quality from the origional.

If you use a dual layer burner, it definitely can. I'm assuming you're referring to single layer burning in which the program has to compress the video so it will fit on the 4.7gb available thus reducing video quality quite dramatically.

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 223
exactly

Gold Member

Post Number: 1334
Zorro'

Have you figured out how to upload your images yet?

Sure like to see your home cinema as well.

londonblue007
Unregistered guest
Personally, I watch my movies on a 40 ft wide cinema screen sourced from a long throw digital HD projector with a 32,000 watt 5.1 EV sound system powered by Crown Amps and sourced by a Apple computer into a Crest X4 Mixing console. But thats just me..... (I am the sound engineer at a college theatre, i can use it whenever i want)

Anonymous

so you like to spend a lot of your time talking dirty to men you ho mo

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 91
You know, there's a saying that says "Less is More". In this case, I think maybe it is.

Username: Oldschool4life

Post Number: 1
GOOD GOD!!!

...looks like a damn pawn shop.

:eek:

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 703
You buzzards can fly around Ashley's old thread, but be advised the wise old sage has moved on to bigger and better things. Not much meat left here.

Username: Oldschool4life

Post Number: 2
But, he still did it like that (this past year)...

...AND, bragged about it on sveral forums.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3102

Gold Member

Post Number: 1335
Yeah that's right better things, the more things change the more they stay the same, and so you guys enjoy yourselves, and Mr "Shamu chef" we don't need you trolling around on the "Secrets" and that's not the only site that I'm joined to, follow me around and you won't last long.

Ashley' as spoken.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5802
Indeed

Bronze Member
Username: Mestre1966

Post Number: 20
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN
better not living next to me! lolllllll
You work for any demolition company or someting???

just for asking

price of all electronics was????

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dandandan

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 30
wat was the price ?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1504
Here is an update my small but Just bl00dy loud(JBL) home cinema.

Upload

Upload

Upload
"No, No you can't possibly use x16 JBL control 1's for the surrounds!"

I'm still on schedule with the JBL control summer project, the plan is to install x16 JBL control 1's for the surround array chain, so far just x8 are installed and up and running, truly awesome split-surrounds and the centre back surround is WOW, the height surrounds will be the next part of the upgrade, with a few more extra JBL control 1's on the side walls.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
I have taken a little "timeout" to read some back issues of the THX monitor to refreshing my memory with "THX Monitor" the professional monthly reading digest, the information is laid out clearly and in-depth over four pages, the part that I'm is surround loudspeaker layout, also the JBL cinema manual, I just like this stuff, its all good stuff!

Upload

Hears a photo view of "THX Monitor" volume 1, Number 4 February 1992, page 3

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9495
Oy, Ashley...got any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet:-)

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1061
Ashley....you keep adding speakers to that room and pretty soon there'll be no room for a decent sized HDTV you need.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1507
Berny, John

Thanks

Only an affordable video projector will suffice! The impact with this amount of JBL Control 1 surrounds, and not forgetting it's all been balanced and EQ, the results sounds more like what I would hear in a (cinema) plus it's (future proof) so if I what to make any special adjustments all that I would have to here is a little re-wiring, and some re-plugging, no problem.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1590
Here are some pictures from this summers JBL control 1 surround array project, these images weren't placed here during the summertime because time and editing the sizes of the images so here they are.

Upload

The new JBL control 1 package price £49.95 UK, at "Richer Sounds" Hi-Fi home cinema store.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
I first tried one of the JBL control 1 fitted to the centre part of the room, just to see what the performance was like. Well I was very impressed and the timbre balance wasn't that far of ether, just a little bit equalizing will solve that.

Upload

Grandly over the weeks I placed them up, and angling them slightly downwards over the listening area and the whole surround started to REALLY come together as one whole superb surround effectiveness that wowed me!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1591
Looking down the left JBL control 1, side surround array.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 199
wow amazing a NEW prospective of surround sound and that sub! Jesus! its a pig most likely sounds like a rock concert in there
good job

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 6757
this thread is ooooold. lol

nice setup Andy...Ashley:-)

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1594
Kyle, Muddy thanks

You should have heard it today, I mean feel it WOW "Drop Zone" 1994, what a cracking movie from start to end Foley wow you can feel the body punches!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1597
Additional laserdiscs, that arrived today from the grand ole USA from a new best friend.

Blade Runner is the film of day! This early directors cut edition on laserdisc look very pleasing colours are rich and strong within the 2.35:1 Panavision frame, the neon lighting is beautifully captured on this laserdisc thou I would say the DVD will have a little more edge, but there is no way the VHS version would be able to measure up to this fine CAV edition.

The Dolby stereo soundtrack is what it is, it's not the six-track Dolby stereo road show version that appeared on the 70mm prints. Dialogue is reproduced nicely via the JBL THX sound system with a cracking score that ends the film superbly with low end that slams into you're chest!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 22
I think this setup looks like a pawn shop and you can't possibly need six equalizers?.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1598
Nick

Well you should check out some of the professional cinemas, the Dolby CP processor might use the internal 1/3 octave 27 band EQ for the in house use to match the frequency response within the ISO 2969 X curve! But some might have external EQ for custom modifications for certain films! Thus not tampering with the internal Dolby CP units EQ functions!

So yes I do need and I'm planning on changing them over to matching EQ multi configuration design in the future, and it won't cost the earth, very affordable! And 1/3 octave as well!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Sorry, didn't mean to criticize. Why all the speakers though? I understand the four in the back, if you're running 7.1 but why all front speakers?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1600
Nick

The two JBL, control 1 that are placed within the central part of the door there used for the (centre back surround) the other JBL control 1 that are placed to ether side of them centre back surround are used on the (B switch setting on the Marantz 1030 stereo amplifier) and along with the side surrounds left and right which is on the (A switch setting) there used for films that like Alien Blue Thunder The Abyss etc, films with (monaural-surrounds) in the Dolby Digital 5.1 mode and Dolby stereo 4:2:4 as well.

You see not all films on DVD have what is called (split-surrounds) the fact that the original 70mm six-track magnetic prints from the past up until 1978 had (monaural-surrounds) the late 1950's saw a new form of cinema presentation called (Todd-AO) and with it's distaste six magnetic tracks, it was able to reproduce true multi-channel sound to the audience.

Going into the 1970's 70mm presentations where slowly declining, the cost of maintenance and the huge cost of the 70mm prints themselves was very expensive.

With very few cinemas capable of showing 70mm, the rest where just running 35mm monaural sound with poor frequency response and lot of hiss and popping on the soundtrack, that is until Dolby changed the way we would listen to films with better specifications using some groundbreaking technology with Noise Reduction (Dolby A type) and a cleaver encoding process to place four channels onto the stereo variable area (SVA) it was more affordable for lots of cinemas that couldn't afford dual projection 35/70. And well the rest is history the format is still been used to day except it's only used as a back-up in case the Dolby Digital track is damaged near too the sides of the perforations. Henceforth, ((Dolby SR-D)) SR type came around during the mid 1980's and offered greater noise reduction and frequency response as well, it's the norm on all Dolby 35mm prints to day, and in the recording industry.

Now going back to 70mm, Dolby realized they could make the 70mm six-track presentation go a long way with there Dolby A type encoding, and thou the majority of films during the early years from 1976 used the old process of Left, Left-centre, centre, right-centre, right and monaural-surround. Now that was virtually unchanged from the Todd-AO format, until 1977, with two major releases from 20th Century Fox and Columbia Pictures, Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, used the six-track format in a different way.

By looking at what you already have at hand, and by re-thinking the whole process out with a different approach to cinema presentation, the mixers came up with an idea of taking two of the tracks that would be used for left-centre and right-centre channels 2&4 and using these channels for sub bass, or (Baby Boom) has it was so christened!

Now over the short period of time, some thought why waste two tracks on the 70mm format, playing the same signal over channels 2&4, why not use one channel for sub bass enhancement, and the other channel for surround, but we already have a surround channel, arr, but what if we make it stereo! And the rest is history Superman the Movie 1978 was the first film to demonstrate this now virtually used format that has gone unchanged for 28 years now! Thou we may have a few films that have been encoded with a matrix surround channel Dolby Digital surround-EX or dts-ES 6.1 which is different from Dolby's own 6.1.

Now as the years went by, and as technology got better, SONY had an answer in 1993, the same time that dts was coming on to the scene with Universals dts CD-Rom 5.1 surround.

SONY took it further, with 7.1, this allowed full spectrum loudspeakers to be used behind the screen again since 1977, so with five-screen coming fall circle, and with the used of split-surrounds and sub bass LFE.1, well there it is.

I've worked in the cinema industry many years ago, for two major cinema chains in the United Kingdom, so I have a good history of the background of it, and I'm able to think of newer ways to make the home cinema different in sound presentation, just be simply listening doing some quick thinking and by adding on some of the most simple audio items on to the Dolby 5.1 or dts 5.1 process, I can get the sound to be far more exciting, all it takes is a little re-plugging of the AVR and using the RCA phones ONLY with separate amplification, where you can add on virtual anything!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Damn, you know your stuff! I recently upgraded to 7.1 my self, can you tell me some DVDs that are in true 7.1 surround?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1601
Nick

Now if the DVD that you have and own are 7.1, from Dolby Digital Plus, to dts, I would have to say NO, when will they ever learn to produce a true five-screen channel array for the home cinema with backward capabilities so that it can be played in regular 5.1 and 7.1, all there doing is adding more surround channels, and have totally forgotten about the five-screen process.

Films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, etc.

Those films that are presented on laserdisc and DVD and god help us HD-DVD and Blue Ray, sound nothing like the original road show presentations!

Most home cinema owner have the common belief that everything they read in the magazines is fact! It's full of so many holes you can pour a cup of tea though it!

And those that do write the odd article in a magazine rarely passes though the home cinema owner, because they have been brainwashed be so much misleading information over the years they just simply accept it for what it is!?

So no, there isn't any true 7.1 encoded DVD that I know of that would true to the original works of the past, for those to hear, for those that missed out on that part of the cinema experience, it is as simple as that.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1602
Nick

Also, SONY made it clear many years ago, of this would have been around 1994, that they would NEVER release the SDDS 8 format onto the home cinema consumer market!

Now that is a pity!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1605
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
So Apollo 13's in 7.1? I think my parents have it or is it a special edition?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1607
Nick

No, no, it's not encoded with Dolby or dts 7.1, just Dolby or dts 5.1.

If you don't mind me asking, just how old are you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Not at all, I'm 7.1.

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1609
Nick

17 years old, nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm 39 years old and loving it...

So I take it you have a huge inertest in what it takes to produce a motion picture soundtrack from, production to post production in the studio to release in the cinema and to home cinema.

I've been fascinated with it since around 1974, Earthquake, when "cinemas" where just flipping loud via the process of, (((Sensurround))) good god with SPL levels reaching has high as 120dbc! I'll never forget that sound experience, I was only 7 years at the time and I would say from that moment onwards, yeah I was hooked on film sound.

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1636
The Marantz amplifiers, and the item placed to the right side of it, believe it or not, is a monaural Panasonic VCR, now all VCR's have a built in audio limiter, now I have simply re-plugged the whole sound system with this in mind, this unit controls the JBL Control 5 Centre channel, it has been very beneficial it has given me flexibility and control over the amount of high dynamic range output from laserdiscs or DVD.

In simple words I can still run the sound system just as loud as before, but without it going too far over the top, the highest peak level I have calibrated the Marantz 1050 and the EQ's and the pre-amplifier that drives it which is the Yamaha DSP-100, this is an old Dolby Surround decoder that I have adapted for use in the home cinema, the wiring and re-plugging of it will confuse most, but believe me it in know way compromises the sound performance.

Upload

The Kenwood KRF-9050D THX select AVR is mostly the heart of all the Dolby Stereo Dolby Digital 5.1 and dts 5.1 decoding, with Lucasfilm THX electronic circuitry to re-EQ the fronts surrounds and a whole lot more, some of which most would now understand.

All the RCA pre-outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select, goes to different parts of audio electronics for special audio processing, that makes this home cinema, well not to special, but it's all in the mix I say, and with very carefully listening I can take the fronts one step further with very little cost!

The Yamaha DSR-70Pro is a Dolby Surround Pro-Logic matrix processor, which I have adapted for use of the front left and right, that means the left and right outputs from the Kenwood, goes into the DSR-70Pro, and then output to the Ferguson Videostar, Hi-Fi VCR, which has an onboard audio limiter, now like I explained with the first audio limiter the Panasonic, which is used for the centre channel, well the Ferguson, just simply does the left and right stereo.

With all levels set to (0db) on the Kenwood, and via running it at 0db reference level, and via setting the volume on the amplifies and very careful adjustment of the EQ's, where I aim for an optimum peak level of 85dbA in the centre of the room, not all films tend to peak at 85dbA which is around the mid high to high frequency range!

But sometimes it does peak slightly over at around 88dbA this is acceptable seeing it it's only for about 1 second, if the levels should exceed this for more than a few seconds, and the sound of the high frequencies becomes too much for taking, then I will make the necessary modifications to the sound system, so far it's been running like a treat!

Upload

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1637
The Laserdisc and DVD players, I know the image isn't all that clear, but starting from top and working it's way down is.

Upload

Cello DR-810 DVD-RW reorder, this mostly use for transferring laserdiscs to DVD-RW for my own personal use.

The SONY DVP-S336 is used with certain DVD feature films and the odd few of DVD-RW optical discs.

The Pioneer DV-525 is mostly used for playing most of the DVD feature films and some of the DVD-RW optical discs.

The Pioneer CLD-1750 Laserdisc player is mostly used at the moment, when needed that is, so laserdisc is still quite alive around here, it's all in the original Dolby film mixes, where some DVD feature films have been compromised, I bet you didn't know that! Never sale the laserdiscs!

The Pioneer CLD-2950 Laserdisc player is off line at the present moment pending a new part that supports the Laserdisc securely to the (spindle motor) its a little part very easy to install. Other than that she's fine.

Upload

The Furguson videostar, HI-Fi Stereo VCR, well this is no longer used has a VCR for playback, everything is done via optical disc now! So I have used it for a good general purpose, and that is the onboard audio limiter that she has, this runs the left and right front JBL Control 5. It's been very careful set-up so that when the levels get really high, I mean really high, doesn't matter if the level is played at -10dbon the master fader on the Kenwood, what it does mean, it prevents (audio masking) which can really drown out the centre channel, or vice versa, if the left and right are playing softly, and the centre level goes to high in dynamic range, it will never peak over the 0db threshold level.

Upload

There is a very good balance of sound presentation around here, and you would really never be able to tell the difference, except you'll here more of what you didn't hear before!

Upload

Username: Armstrongguy

Post Number: 2
Wow, my post disappeared just because I thought Andy's pile of junk was an eyesore. (As if everyone else wasn't thinking the same thing) So much for my opinion. Oh well, life goes on.
I guess if he wants his system to look like crap, that is his problem.

Username: Anakin

Post Number: 8
Armbum, you really get around, stop crushing you fa-g, and leave everyone alone, we don't like fa=gs g-ayboys bum bandits that take it up the but hole!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1652
All right you clowns just get lost will you please. Darth take a walk man and chill out, and Armstrong, get lost.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 244
Still giving you trouble Andy that sucks

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1660
Kyle

Point of fact not really, just so long as there is a fried chicken shop next door I don't really mind all that much, but he or whom ever he and that other moron Vader, well they those two can fight it out, just so long as I don't have to see it!

Post Number: 8
Andy, I wish you would drop it. It's not like you are running this forum, nor do you have the right to invite only your close friends to join. It is for everyone. Enough with the constant threats of having other people's posts removed, and all the insults.
Enough with the rudeness. All I want is a chance to partake, like everyone else.
I have seen you bash other people on here in the past, also for no reason. Can we stop this foolishness now?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1661
Armstrongguy

Oh what's this I hear a truce! Well isn't that a positive step in the right direction, is that what your offing a truce, no more flaming! Because I don't like flaming other members unless they start flaming me first, so I hear a truce, Armstrong is offering a truce, sign here will you.

I will not flame Andy no more, and in return I will be given the same respect as everyone else on the Ecoustics forums, from this day fourth.

Post Number: 9
Now that's more like it!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1666
"I'm The King of the World"!

Upload

Post Number: 10
Darn! Now I'm confused again!

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1682
Just a little minor repositioning of the JBL Control 5 centre channel only a small amount it's hardly noticeable.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1693
Thinking up new ideas for the home cinema sound system?

Upload

Username: Shamuchef

Post Number: 6
how about turning a dumster into a centerchannel speaker it should match the rest of your system

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
That was uncalled for.

Post Number: 10
im sorry you feel that way but,come on look at these photos of all these dusty old relics they probably arnt even working. they all look like they came from a garage sale. just look at the apartment ,its one step up from homless. this all must be someones idea of a big joke. no one in thier right mind would call this a home theater ,nevermind puting it on the web for everyone to say o my god look at that mess.if this is for real im sorry .but i dont think so

Bronze Member
Username: Msvara

Post Number: 19
Wow. What happened? I mean it looks like you really like audio, but the video is lacking a bit, and a wire/mount cleanup job.

OMG the 18" sub!!! I'll bet if you stood in front of it it would cause bowel movement!

Well not my cup of tea sorry.

Bronze Member

Central florida THE GREATEST...

Post Number: 16
dear andy, im sorry for cutting down your system, it was a mean thing to say and i would like to take it back.different people buld thier systems in different ways this is your way, and i shouldnt have been so sarcastic. i hope you accept this apology. merrychristmas

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1144
hahaha, welcome back shamuchef! still got your not so nice demeanor eh? wonder if your half-hearted apology would be accepted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
was i talking to you?

Gold Member

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 2208
Pop on over I live in Charminster Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom!

Mate I don't brag, and when I say I can deliver I mean I deliver. So you can meet me outside the Co-Op which is a across the road from where I live, and then I'll take you on over for a few hours of movie fun, with a few ticks up my sleeve that would make most think> I didn't know that was possible with the Dolby 5.1!

It's all in the mix!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
sorry dude, i like girls

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1095
OMG!!!! I have not picked on Ashley for over a year and all you guys take over for me LMFAO!!!
A dumpster as center channel I almost P lss ed myself. Thank you very much John. Ashley, stop meeting gents behind the CO-OP near your home and concentrate on getting that mess cleaned up!!

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 512
not to poke at your system......or anything, because it's nice.....but is that little t.v. what you watch your movies on?......great big sound, and little itty bitty picture.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2438
Looks like a full moon!

I was going to post a different response but gave it second thought as I don't need any heat form childish grown ups on a Friday evening!

The SONY is doing fine for a 20 year old monitor she may have passed her prime now, but how old are you?

With age comes wisdom and mate I know what to look for and listening having worked for two major cinema chains here in the UK in the past. I have it all figured out and when I do decide to install a video projector it will look like a cinema.

The wires well I still have a few more surrounds to install this year so the surrounds are far from being complete. As for now they sound, sorry (((surround fantastically around me))) next question?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
dude you are very very strange indeed. but heres somthing that might clean up that mess of yoursUpload

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1097
I know of those Cinema chains he speaks of. Sanford and son odeon and the goodwill cineplex.

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2461
Get ready turkeys! I'm going to be doing some major makeover with the amplifiers starting in the New Year with Behringer A 500 and it's going to be a huge array for the home cinema alone!

Upload

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2462
With plans to go with a multiple configuration design of x8 A 500 Behringer.

x1 Left and Right Stereo
x2 Left centre Right centre Stereo
x3 Centre, Upper Centre
x4 Left side surround right side surround arrays
x5 Centre back surround array
x6 Height surround array
x7 Sub bass extension
x8 Sub bass LFE.1

Design is pending slight changes if costs change on the A 500 Behringer. but I'll be my best to keep to the specification.

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2463
You know those other JBL control 5 that I have well there going to used for the left centre and right centre. They'll get there input from left and centre channels as well as centre and right channel.

It sounds confusing doesn't it, well it real easy when using Dolby matrix decoding too extract the two additional channels.

The surround array needs ample amplifier power as this will be a four channel array alone.

The subs will be split into the usual configuration except they'll be driven by separate A 500 possibly in bridge mode to deliver 500 watts each one for the sub bass extension and one to the sub bass LFE.1.

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2464
Upload
£118.99 UK at Turnkey

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2465
Upload
"No, No you can't possibly use x16 JBL control 1's for the surrounds!"

I'm getting that buzzing loving feeling whoa yeah bring it on! Thou the summertime JBL control 1 project was more a less on schedule and thou I pursed the project until I finally complete the surround array off with a further x8 more JBL control 1 which should give me an Empire Leicester square rocking feeling.

The THX baffle wall is one part of it that makes it all come together and work as a whole, this will be one of the other projects that would get fitted somewhere between all this. The materials for this are quite affordable and will give a more solid front sound stage then the sub stranded conventional ones where loudspeakers are just stuck up in front of the room with that hash sound!

Upload
"This home JBL THX cinema is now the ultimate power in the neighbourhood, I suggest I use it!"

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2466
Here are some more pictures that I posted elsewhere this summertime 2006.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2467
Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member