My cheap home theater

Username: Apresler07

Canal Winchester, Ohio USA

Post Number: 7
I am on a tight budget. i dont make very much money working at pizza hut, thats why i build most of my "furniture".This whole setup was around 500 dollars. it sounds really good except that my reciever turns off at higher volumes(damn sherwood)and i have sweet motion sensor lights.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5792/sub8ch.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6425/stereo5xf.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3175/motion1ci.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1542/frontspk2fg.jpg
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/255/back6ib.jpg

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 988
Alex, I'm sure you enjoy your room just as much as the Big Money Delberts with their mega-buck installations.

"i have sweet motion sensor lights"

Does that mean the lights go up on action movies and down on chick flicks?

Post Number: 8
motion sensor lights means when i walk in the room my lights turn on, when i leave they turn off automatically

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1869
i think he knew that

Post Number: 9
Oh, haha yeah probably. I am looking to upgrade my reciever and my front speakers in the really near future. If anyone has any good suggestions on a cheaper Surround sound reciever preferably 6.1 but 5.1 would suffice. My budget on a reciever is $180 i am willing to buy a used reciever too. The front speakers i'm going to build myself.

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 39
Where did you get the motion sensing light thingy? (I love techinal jargon, lol). My only concern with that is, if you walk in and sit down, the lights go on, then if your friend walks in, do they stay on or go off? Waht happenes when he leaves and you stay? That would get frigging annoying. How much did they cost you anways?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
They were only 15bux but they have an on and off and auto switch so you can turn them off or on if need be

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
they are on a timer that i can set from 15 seconds to 15 minutes. so if i walk in my room they turn on and if my friend walks in they stay the same and if he leaves they stay the same but if they are off and some else walks in they turn on and i got it at home depot.

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 411
NICE !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I just got my tx-sr303 yesterday its so cool. i will post and updated pic soon

Username: The_bin_chi_code

Post Number: 2
nice...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3269
As far as upgrading goes, here are my suggestions:

1. Get a decent stand for your video display...those plastic crates don't look so hot lol
2. It might even be a good idea to get a better TV, that Philips isn't bad, but there are better things in life...
3. Upgrade that receiver as soon as possible, especially if it's having problems with power requirements. Ebay is a great place to get a used receiver-my absolute favorite is Onkyo, but Harman/Kardon can be good as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i got a new receiver. if you read my post i said i got a tx-sr303 and that is an onkyo 5.1 system. It also kicks butt

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3286
Awesome awesome awesome, I love Onkyo, that's a great receiver.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1003
I don't know.....I kinda like the milk crates. Dark blue would be a bit more classy maybe. :-)

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Im gonna spray paint my milk crates until i build a new tv stand. That is a great reciever except im lacking one key ingrediant....a subwoofer.I need to get one for cheap

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Here are the updated pics http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7073/avcomponents8vo.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5316/3032zi.jpg

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1015
Alex, you're coming up in the world. Where did you find this Onkyo for $54?

I see you listen to CD101. I kinda figured you as an alt rocker. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I found this onkyo for 54 dollars on shoponkyo.com. I registered all my dads onkyo things and my buddies onkyo things and they gave me points on clubonkyo.com and i was able to rack up 45 points for all he stuff they have.1 point is equal to a dollar off your purchase so 45 points equals 45 dollars off. That is a deal i could absolutely not pass up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I mostly dont listen to the radio (my ipod is my lifeforce)but that just happened to be the station that it was on. i mostly listen to hardcore metal and screamo stuff

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Nice setup we all have to start somewhere.
And dont let Chris lee say anything different, He's a mommas boy.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1055
grow up jim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I dont care what anybody says im not gonna get discouraged. I have a pretty good setup for a 16 paying for it out of my own pocket.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
oops i meant to say "I have a pretty good setup for a 16 year old paying for it out of my own pocket."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
I need to build a new tv stand( my milk crates are getting annoying). The only problem is i really dont have any design ideas to go with.If any of you guys have some good ideas please post them. I want it to be bigger than my tv because im gonna be buying a new tv within the next year or two.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3436
You could move up to cinder blocks and heavy planks.
Much more solid.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I would like to have more serious responses please. I am all for jokes but right now i am completly drawing a blank when it comes to a tv stand design

Bronze Member
Username: Compumasta

Post Number: 15
You seem pretty good at making 2x4 furniture(im not making fun of you so please read on), why not make a tv stand, place a piece of plywood on top, then cover it in drywall, mud and tape and paint to match your interior. Id be suprised if it cost 30-40 bucks and it will not look tacky at all if you take a little time and effort. Try to estimate the correct size but you can always add on to this simple design later when you get your new tv. In addition, it will also be movable if you reshuffle your room decor.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
That is a really good idea. I think i will do that. I have a little drywall experience, so i can take advantage of that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Glad to be of some help! It does not have to be flashy to look clean and good, remember that. An added touch would be to match your current floor trim and run it around the bottom of your stand to make it blend in even more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
lol...i have some extra trim in my garage, and a finish nail gun for my air compressor, i am gonna have to try that out. keep putting out ideas.

Bronze Member

Also, remember the mud and tape will either make the project a success or a failure so take your time do make it look good. It will show suprisingly as soon as you put the paint on so really work on making it good and smooth.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
appearently im tired as my words are slurring in my head but if you have any questions or want my opinion of something, just write me.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 170
For $500, sweet. LOVE the OSB speakers!!! Kick azz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I am looking to upgrade my tv now. Do any of you guys have some recomendations for under $1000, i would like something decent in size(nothing smaller than 27") and hdtv built in would be a must and at least 2 component inputs.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1036
Alex, the $800 Vizio L32HDTV at Sam's Club is an excellent value. With HD tuner but only one ea. HDMI and component input though.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1037
Alex that Vizio does have 2 component ins. Maybe not the best TV out there, but it is very good for the money.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Vizio_L32HDTV/4505-6482_7-31661373-2.html?tag=sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
That tv looks like a great deal. Do you know if it is a sale or is that an everyday price. Its lookin real good to me, hdmi, 2 components and a pc input.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1044
That's the everyday price on that set. I will probably get the 37" Vizio at $1200 for the bedroom. Flat panel LCDs are definitely not the last word in picture quality, but they're light and bright. The biggest problem with them is weak black level, which is the secret to an eye-popping picture.

Alex, I would also consider a CRT like this Sony. You can find it for under $1000 from some dirt-cheap e-tailers. Best Buy is supposed to carry it. The picture on this TV will pop your eye. The problem is that it weighs almost 200 lbs. and it doesn't have any cool factor. But I promise you it will blow away any other alternative out there in terms of PQ. Plus it's a 34". No PC input though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR970_TV_34/4505-6481_7-31692320.html

Username: Andykim

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 2
I own the Vizio 37" LCD and I love it. After much thought, research, and now having had it for a few months, I have absolutely no complaints. I do wish, however, that Comcast would supply codes for their remotes for this TV.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1045
Good to hear from you Andy. Those 32/37 Vizios look like a good buy assuming reasonaby good quality....which is the question.

BTW, from another forum:

Try using Emerson TV codes. They worked for me with my comcast remote. If you have comcast the code I used to get my Vizio L37 37" LCD to work is "0178"

Username: Andykim

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 4
John, thanks for the tip! It worked out just like it was supposed to.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1060
You're welcome Andy.

BTW Alex, Sam's has lowered the Vizio 37" to $999.99.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Cool. I think my onkyo receiver is messed up. I recently moved my home theatre into to basement because my bedroom got really warm. Then my parents complained about it so i moved it all back to my room. After i got everything hooked up in my room i went to turn on my receiver and it make a kinda loud electricuting sound and now when i have my ipod hooked up through the dock connector it sounds like garbage, its really fuzzy like bad reception. I hooked my ipod to all the different inputs and still sounds like crap. I am stumped.Please help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us