His and Her Room!

Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 4
This is the family room and the home theater.

Still have some work to do on the acoustics and decorating but I thought I would share our hard work with you.

The floors are isolated\floated and all the work was done by my wide and I except for the hurricane shutters on the upper windows. They are on RF remotes.

I want to thank everyone in the forum who provided guidance and support, my friends who sweated by our sides, and my wife for allowing me to share this room as a home theater.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 124
not bad at all, i was like "hey! where are the rears!"

lol

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 243
nice

League City, Texas

Post Number: 10
Here is a link to more pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbwestcott

Thank you for the feedback!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 474
Very nice home you have there, Westcott!
Great rewards for all the work, eh.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 23
Eric: The rear speaker placement was a compromise due to the window on the left of the couch but the RS7's still perform remarkably at an elevated level in this open architecture. Thanks.

JC: I am glad you like it.

Nuck: My wife really did a fine job working on the design. The curtains arrived for the kitchen and I hope to have some updated photos on the link above. I enjoyed the challenge but I doubt I will take on something this big again by myself.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 9
Was her part picking the TV, is that why it's only 27"?

And don't the black chairs get in the way when you're trying to watch?

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 85
Nick,
Open your eyes...look up...see the white framed area on his wall? That's his TV. Big enough for you??? I don't think the black chairs get in the way.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 107
em69,

You are correct on both counts. All HD and DVD material is projected on the 100" Carada Criterion Brilliant White screen and most standard definition programming is viewed on the Sony CRT.

Nick,

I selected the TV because it gives the best picture of any display for SD programming. I find watching most SD programming unviewable on displays much larger than 27". Just too many compression artifacts that are made worse by blowing them up to larger sizes and since there is still a predominant amount of SD programming, having two displays is really the way to go (Especially if you own an HD projector).

Bronze Member
Username: Willieman

PR USA

Post Number: 33
Very nice apt....how much ?

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 108
Willie,

I am afraid I do not understand the question.

westcott

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 960
Westcott,
I think maybe Willie was asking how much rent for your "apartment."

Top notch HT, by the way. I am green with envy.

Upload

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 109
Dear John,

Thanks for the compliment. My wife gets most of the credit for the color, flooring,curtain, and furniture choices. She also helped a lot with the manual labor involved.

She is so great that she asked me when we were going to get a new DVD player for the master bedroom yesterday. Who could ask for anything more?

Now if I could only buy an HD DVD without worrying whether or not my favorite movies will be available for rent in this format.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 961
She is so great that she asked me when we were going to get a new DVD player for the master bedroom yesterday. Who could ask for anything more?

You are indeed a very lucky man.

Now if I could only buy an HD DVD without worrying whether or not my favorite movies will be available for rent in this format.

I think it's too early....even for early adopters.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 962
BTW, is this you on the last post?

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/06/more_bluray_del.html#comments

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 110
John,

Yes, that comment was from me. I also right DVD reviews for this website here:

http://movies.hometheaterblog.com/

The last one was Ben Hur.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 967
Nice review on Ben Hur. Reminds me, I should see this movie again.
As I recall, it is the record holder for 11 Oscars....

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 130
I have painted and got the curtains up in the adjoining kitchen to the home theater so I thought I would post some updated photos.

http://www.webshots.com/user/jbwestcott

Happy Holidays to everyone!!!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 316
Nice Westcott
Happy holidays to you too:-)

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 134
Thanks Kyle. Keep your eyes open for my HT in the Audio Video Interiors March edition feature!!!

http://www.audiovideointeriors.com/

Happy Holidays!

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1137
Very nice Sir. I like how you have made the space work around the factors you need for a good HT experience. You must not have (or want to put it down in) a basement, otherwise there is a lot of money spent there that could have been used to dedicate a room. But I love the features that most people forget about or don't think ae important. Good work and congrats.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 135
I am glad you appreciate the design Joseph. Living here in the South, so close to sea level, basements are far and few between. I sure would have liked to spend all the light control budget on dedicated amps and a better DVD player.On the plus side, we can watch a movie any time of the day, we have added protection for hurricanes, and maybe most importantly, our electricity bill has dropped over $500 this year and that just about makes the added cost palatable.

I still really do envy those with dedicated home theaters but have come to appreciate sharing the space which we spend a great deal of time in.

Happy Holidays!

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 160
It is now posted for those who would like to visit the site.

http://www.audiovideointeriors.com/readerqa/0307diy/

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1923
Westcott....

PUMP up the subwoofers!

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 182
Andre,

The RSW 15 is one of the best subwoofers made under US$2000. It keeps company with names like Genelec and the Signature 1812 which cost five times more.

I have seen your similar comments on other home theaters. I consider it unproductive and has no redeemable value.

I suggest a different tact if you wish to be taken seriously.

Bronze Member
Username: Movie_collector

, California U.s

Post Number: 19
Westcott
Real nice. My floor plan is almost exactly the same layout except I have carpet and a couple of windows against one side of the wall which face the backyard. Took me almost two years to finish getting the right combination of speakers to fill the entire room. Big ceiling and open kitchen really eats up alot of sound but am really happy with this configuration. Take a look see at my profile when you get a minute.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 200
Brad

Thank you for taking time to comment on our shared space. I went to your profile but I did not see a link to your HT photos. I would love to see them.

Be thankful you have a large,open space. From an acoustic standpoint, the larger space acts as a sound absorber which reduces the effects of sound reflections that can muddy the sound. As you pointed out, it takes more speaker to fill the room and adjacent spaces for higher volumes, but I think is a worthwhile trade off. The large space also gives you more space to move the speakers away from the walls, the way speakers are meant to be placed.

I have several friends who are musicians and every couple of months they drag their amps and instruments over. They love the acoustics and a lot has to do with the relatively large space. I am sure you have found that it can be very forgiving as long as you have enough speaker and power, as you obviously do.

Thanks again and I eagerly await some pictures of your HT.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2081
150dB at 5hz FTW

I'm WAAAY too young to be able to afford and buy a complete system in less than 7 years (yet alone own a house?), so I guess I'll just have bear it until I myself can afford it. I think I posted all those comments on bass within 5 minutes or so, so it's no big matter I guess.

No less than 4 18's on 2.5kw or more! BaBa Boom Bass?

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 89
heres a solution.....Get A Job!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2082
Hahaha only 17 months left

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 90
Post your Pictures of your surround system!!

Bronze Member

, California U.s

Post Number: 26
Here are a couple of pics
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload

Upload

Bronze Member

, California U.s

Post Number: 27
Here are a couple of pics

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 201
Brad,

Those room pictures are rather dark. I can not make out a thing. Us old folks are blind. I would love to see the entire room and the layout. Maybe we can help provide some pointers.

Bronze Member

, California U.s

Post Number: 29
Furniture sure takes up alot of space. Not to many choices with the audio stands. I would like to insert it into the wall behind it because that is actually a closet. Perfect place for it BUT this house is an investment, not set to retire just yet, I hate to say. Cutting a hole in this wall would not be an option unless I want to put it back when we sell. Room is approx 20x20. LOL!!, ya I know the audio equip is an over kill for this space but what the heck. Pics are always a problem getting onto this site. 600x600 is not enough. Will try later.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4911
Excellent setup, I have a neighbor whose floorplan is similar...

Bronze Member

, California U.s

Post Number: 31
These pictures look a little betterUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 207
Must better pictures. I see the reason for your setup now. The stairs really put a cramp in your layout. Beautiful room though and the high ceilings and glass windows provide a feel of a much larger room. Now you know how much trouble I went through to provide light control with the high ceilings. Very nicely done.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 445
Like the place Wescott. Where'd you get the gear rack? And do you use fans? Or does it breath pretty well? I'm currently looking at racks, and salimander has a couple I like, but I'll need fans for what I want to do. Just curious.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 216
David,

Thanks for the compliment. I am glad you like it. The AV credenza and coffee table is made in Canada by a company called Luarier. The one I have is from the Carino collection. It is extra deep and lots of built in ventilation. I used to run some 120cm fans but found only a slight temperature change without them. The credenza is vented at the top and bottom, on the back for very effective convection. A very well built system and makes access a snap. If you feel you need fans, there is plenty of rooms for them.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 309
Well, I thought I would drag this to the top. I have added a custom painting that covers up the screen when not in use. Take a look and let me know if it is something you may be interested in!

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbwestcott
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us