OK, systems are pretty much finished....

Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 4
Here's my "listen to music, watch TV, burn a CD, burn a DVD, Watch a movie, Play video games" system:

Upload

and my 'sit and watch a movie or ballgame' system:

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 149
Rick... both setups look nice and clean.. what's the equipment in each?

Username: Mango_joe

All

Post Number: 1
nice systems

Username: Mrsadman

Post Number: 5
"Rick... both setups look nice and clean.. what's the equipment in each?"

It's the same setup, except the first one has wooden cabinets over the front speakers and it looks differently because of the lighting =)

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 625
how is that the same setup JD? unless you are and i are looking at different pictures i believe the the cabinets in which the tvs are in are completely diffferent, the speakers look completely different, one has a carpeted floor, and the electronics are completely different. dont know what you are smoking.

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 38
""It's the same setup, except the first one has wooden cabinets over the front speakers and it looks differently because of the lighting""

Same set-up?? Because of the lighting??? You ok JD?

Post Number: 5
Hi, thanks for the kind words. The only common component to both systems is the Panasonic th42px50u television.

The first system consists of:
Panny TH42PX50U TV
Yamaha RXV-657 7.1 receiver
Carver TFM-25 Power amp (for front speakers)
Thiel CS2 (front speakers)
Infinity CC2 (center speaker)
Infinity ERS 110II (surround and rear in ceiling)
Cadence XSUB subwoofer
Samsung HD950 DVD/SACD player
Dishnetwork 510 Sat Receiver/DVR
Sony RCDW500 CD Recorder
JVC HR-S5902 VCR
Panny DMR-ES10S DVD Recorder (in right 'tower')
Sony ??? dual casette recorder (in right 'tower')
Harmony 659 remote
PS2,N64,Gamecube, UPS/power conditioning reside in the bottom of the center section.

The entertainment unit was custom made by a local unfinished furniture manufacturer, with the center section 17" deep (standard depth is 24"). I added 2 12V super-quiet cooling fans, and a relay-slave outlet to power the Carver PA and cooling fans on/off with the Yamaha receiver.

The second system consists of:
Panny TH42PX50U TV
Panny SA-XR55 6.1 receiver
Advent H400 (front speakers)
Athena Point 5 (center, surround and rear speakers)
Yamaha YST-SW315 Subwoofer (next to couch, not shown)
Oppo DV971H DVD player
Dishnetwork 942
Sony SLV-N750 VCR
Gefen HDMI switch
Harmony 659 Remote

UPS/power conditioning reside in the lower cabinet. I built a heavy-duty slide tray so the TV/center speaker can be pulled out flush-front for viewing, then slid back so the doors can close without interference with the center speaker. I also put 2 12v cooling fans in this unit. The SA-XR55 does not have switched outlets, so I am controlling those fans with a household AC thermostat mounted to the back of the plasma screen.

Of course, I'm still fiddling around with both systems, but the family is really enjoying them. We subscribe to 'netflix', so always have a supply of DVDs to watch. I really enjoyed watching my alma mater (Va Tech) win in HD on espn last weekend!

I'm still working to optimize my OTA reception. I tried comparing OTA via the Dish 942 vs direct to the plasma receiver, but could not get the 942 to receive anything (!), so am still troubleshooting that.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 48
Nice compact system. Its like a control room. Thats the way I like it. I did'nt see any power conditioners for all of your equipment?

Post Number: 7
Thanks. The power conditioning is in the lower, enclosed cabinets.

I also like the 'dense pack' look, just have to keep an eye on equipment temps. One thing I forgot to mention: on the 2nd system, I used clothes dryer vent hose between the lower cooling fan and the plasma screen vent holes to ensure the fan was pulling air thru the TV (when it is slid out flush in front, the screen is pretty far from the fan).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us