Help in setting up 5.1 connection

Username: Setsun

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a HDTV and I would want to hook it up to my home theatre to experience 5.1 surround.

Here is what I have
1. HDTV - Contains RCA outputs and Optical Output
2. DVD Player - Has RCA & Digital Coax Outputs
3. Bose Lifestye II Series - Has 3 RCA inputs and 1 Digital Coax Input
4. Seagate 1TB external HardDisk - Connected to HDTV via USB

Currently I have the following setup
A. DVD to HDTV - Video channel hooked up via Yellow RCA cable
B. DVD to Bose - Connected with Digital CoaX ( for DVD 5.1 audios ) and RCA ( white and red ) for CD audio. The system is capable of identifying 5.1 or stereo and decides on using Digi Coax or RCA.

Questions
---------
Q1 -Now I have some HD movies in my external hard disk which I am able to view in my TV. But I need the 5.1 audio output to be redirected to my Bose home theatre. I know that I need to use the Optical Out in my TV for this purpose. However, I dont have an Optical In in my Bose system.
How do I achieve this ? I see a converter in Amazon. Will this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/tech-data/B000I98ZQY

Q2 - Assuming that the product above works, I would still end up in switching cables,between my DVD player and HDTV, to my home theatre ( because there is only one Digi Coax Input in my home theatre ). Is there a switch that is available to switch between outputs from TV and DVD player.

Q3 - Basic question. How is RCA different from Digi Coax ?

I would appreciate if you could help me out in setting up the connection or point to another thread that answer these questions.

Thank you
Arun

Username: Setsun

Post Number: 2
Rough sketch of current setup is attached in this post.Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums