Center Channel Speaker Wire to RCA

Username: Whirl

Post Number: 1
I purchased a new LCD tv and would like to use the tv's speakers as the center channel. I plan to strip the audio out of the HDMI by converting the HDMI to DVI and then back to HDMI so only video is going to the HDMI input on the tv.

Then, run the center channel signal to the right/left RCA audio inputs on the tv.

The problem of course is that my receiver's center channel output is made for speaker wire. (I can get a speaker wire to RCA cable from the internet, but should I?)

Will I damage the tv audio input if I run a wire from the center channel (speaker wire) output to the tv's rca inputs? Is there a converter to do what I'm trying to do?

Thank you for any information.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 608
Hello Chris and welcome to the forum. The scenario you describe is not possible. You cannot convert a high level signal(speaker) to a low level(RCA analog). I would say no, that there is no such device and even if there were if would almost certainly cost much more than a center channel speaker. My advice to you is to not skimp and buy a suitable center channel speaker which is the most important speaker in a surround speaker setup as it contains all of the dialog and much of the on screen audio. The speakers in even a good quality LCD TV believe me are crappy and have a very limited frequency response curve and would offer far less audio quality than a dedicated center channel speaker even an inexpensive one.

Username: Rob_zee

Post Number: 2
Hi Chris
I'm no audiophile, and Eric seems to knoe what he's talking about, but they do make a cable for that, here it is:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=search_results&search=BB-RCA1SW

Username: Whirl

Post Number: 2
I have a good center channel speaker but I don't want to use it where the tv is now located. While I agree that the tv speakers are junk, I thought they might be good for the center, after all, they are in a great location.

I have seen the spearker-to-RCA cable but I'm concerned about the power input to the RCA jacks. Could I knock the power down with a couple of resistors or is just not worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 609
Hello again. The cable that Rob refers to is designed to be used with subwoofers only. This is designed to connect a preamp output to a subwoofer that has only speaker inputs, this is very puzzilling to me since a preamp output signal(low level-low voltage about 1.5V for RCA analog) has to be sent through an amplifier to be converted to a speaker(high level about 5V average up to about 30V).I'm afraid you have missed the point. In other words the two signals are not compatable without an amplifier somewhere between them. It may well damage you speakers in your tv if you attempt this as they are not designed to handle the amount of current output from an external amplifier, I certainly would advise against it as you may be visiting a repair shop with your tv afterwards. If you insist on being totally unorthodox,and defeating the whole purpose of a full surround speaker suite in which the center channel plays the primary role, then most processors and nearly every reciever I have ever owned or encountered,which is a lot, have a mode sometimes called "phantom" in which the center channel is effectively disabled and it's information is re-routed through the front main speakers. In this mode of course you will not have true 5.1 but many people enjoy this so each to his own. It is quite easy to slap a connector on one end of a cable and an entirely different one on the other end but whether the signals will be compatable is a wholly different matter.

Username: Rob_zee

Post Number: 3
Hi Eric
Maybe you can help me. Can I use the cable that I refer to , to connect my Sony 720 receiver to my old subwoofer?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us