RF Remote

Bronze Member
Username: Heeman

Post Number: 13
Hi Gurus,
I have all my equipment(AV Receiver,DVD,SAT BOX)in the closed cabinet.I want to control all this equipment with My HD LCD tv on wall with Universal RF remote.Please Suggest good one in the market with reasonable price..

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3785
You can't use an RF remote on equipment that uses IR.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2191
­
What you need is a combo RF/IR remote that can convert all your IR remote signals to RF (except for the TV). These RF signals would then be received by a small base station which would convert back to IR via small emitters in front of each piece of equipment in your cabinet. There may be a cheaper way to do this, but $120 seems reasonable for this kind of thing.

Remote:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rnG3PmncWet/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=554RF10

Base station:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rnG3PmncWet/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=554MRF100B
­

Gold Member

Post Number: 3786
There are far cheaper ways, $30 for a One For All. RF remotes are for controlling equipment in another room. Maybe I understood the original post wrong, but it sounds like he's in the same room, but the equipment is where IR won't work. Again, IR equipment can't be controlled with RF.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2195
­
Since everything is in a closed closet, the equipment is in another "room" and out of line of sight.
The products in my post are appropriate and will solve the OP's problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3787
Then the One For All 9910 will work and it can be bought for $30. Unless there's room for the base, neither will work. I actually use remote extenders, I know what they will/won't do. That base will have to be about 2 feet or so in front of the equipment, with no obstructions between the base and equipment, to be able to operate everything, possibly even farther away depending on how far apart everything is. So, unless there's a lot of room in front of the equipment, it won't work.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2199
­
After looking at the 9910, it does look like a good deal even at the MSRP of $90. At $30, it's a steal. I also think the company's support is impressive. The remote can be updated over the phone for devices not already in the remote's memory. Very cool.

The possible problem in this case is the fact that the manual wants the RF base to be 8 feet in front of the gear, and with unobstructed line of sight. That's going to be difficult to do in jay's closed cabinet, to say the least. Especially with the telescoping antenna that looks to be about 3 feet or so tall.

However, one lady over on amazon said that there was enough "bounce around" inside her locked cabinet that the IR base still worked the equipment. I think a couple of strategically placed mirrors (or even the shiny side of aluminum foil on the inside of the cabinet door) would help, if needed. Also, the RF receiver comes with a single wired IR emitter that could be used on a particular problem piece of gear, again if needed.

So while the unit that I cite above will absolutely work with its short base unit antenna and no less than six wired emitters, the 9910 is definitely worth a try considering its relatively low cost.
­

Gold Member

Post Number: 3788
The receiver doesn't need to be 8' away from the equipment. How far away it needs to be depends on how spread out the equipment is. The closer together everything is, the closer the base can be.
The antenna shouldn't be that long. I don't use that remote, I do use the 8910, non RF, with remote extenders, the antenna is only about 1' long.

As of a week or two ago, Buy.com had the 9910 for $30 with free shipping. They are on Ebay all the time. I saw someone get a new one on Ebay for less than $16.

One For All has advanced functions for almost all codes that cover virtually every function of the original remote. All you have to do is call and ask them to e-mail the functions for whatever code you need them for.

Bronze Member
Username: Heeman

Post Number: 14
Thank you very much to John and David for all information,insight you hav egiven regarding the remotes.
I have all equipment closed together in side cabinet of next wall of my flat TV in the family room.If i keep base above the cabinet not infront of components.Is it going to work ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3789
The only way it would work that way is if the IR signal could bounce off a wall back to the equipment. There may be a IR mouse that comes with the base, or you might be able to purchase one seperately. Still though, it will need to be a couple of feet or maybe more in front of the electronics.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2204
The more I think about it, I believe this thing will work behind closed doors. That was the case with this reviewer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/R29WRGXVYL1AL2

As I read it, the reviewer's base unit is sitting on top of the equipment stack, and is bouncing the IR signal off the inside of the closed door successfully operating the stuff. And as I said before jay, if that doesn't work in your cabinet, then you could enhance the reflectivity of the door's inside with a mirror or even some aluminum foil. There could be a problem with this plan if there's absolutely no room between the gear and the door, which would leave no bounce area from the base's IR signal to reach the equipment's IR sensors.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us