Dell M1710 w/o promised S/PDIF digital out

Username: Gpahnke

Wilmington, DE USA

Post Number: 1
bought DELL M1710 with the following I/O ports on their web tech specs.:: VGA, DVI, S Video, audio jack with stereo headphones miniconector, RJ11,4-pin IEEE 1394 integrated port, 6-USB 2.0 ports and RJ45 port. THEY listed a component Video and S/PDIF digital audio out but alas no such I/O port on the laptop machine ---- surprise?????
IS there a suitable USB or 1394 connector/adapter so that I can get 5.1 surround sound out from the laptop's Audigy integrated HD card to connect to my Marantz A/V receiver's digital or coaxial input
HELP I am on my third week fighting with DELL about their false claim meanwhile the aliens keep sneeking up on me from my "blind" silent back side THANKS

Wilmington, DE USA

Post Number: 2
forgot to add No PCMCIA card slot as Dell on this machine uses a Miniexpress slot}

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6666
Specifications subject to change without notice.

It's at the bottom.

Wilmington, DE USA

Post Number: 3
that is just it -- it has the S video but as for audio ------ no coaxial digital or optical digital audio out I/O port - just stereo mini headphone out =--- therefore leading to my original question my laptop is M1710 from Jan 07 not familiar with the M1710R13 model quoted below unless that is their fix

still have not head back from Dell tech.

Wilmington, DE USA

Post Number: 4
DEll now agrees trying to give me a 25.00 credit what do yo think of fraud

Username: Computim

Post Number: 1
Actually your Dell computer's S-Video port has 7 pins in it. The 4 normal pins are for S Video which can be split to the 3 component outputs and the 3 remaining pins are for SPDIF. Check the dell (desktop) accessories (don't know why it's not in the notebook ones) for the adapter. You might be able to convince them to send you that instead of the credit... or take the $25 credit and use it to buy the adapter.. which is only $16 haha..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us