Whats the silliest HiFi accessory ever?

Username: Krusadr

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to remember but there was some stupid device that you bought and clipped to your central heating radiators which was supposed to improve the sound.

Can anyone remember any of those really whacky 'inventions' (scams?)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3311

The Tice Clock. A small table top clock that was treated by George Tice's magic potion. It was supposed to improve the sound of your system even if the clock and the system were in different rooms. It gave high end tweaks a very bad and lasting reputation among the brass ears.

Second, Shakti stones.

Third, almost any tweak promoted by Peter Wood, author of "The Wood Principle".

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 515
i've always had a big issue with CD demagnetizers.

1. CDs are mostly made out of non ferrous (magnetic) aluminum

2. CDs are read optically, not magnetically.

i still think that the reviewers that claimed they really work are just on the take making their advertisers happy.

i've heard a few other tweaks that sound downright ridiculous, but CD demagnetizers flat out drive me nuts.

i bet that some $500+ speaker cables ARE nice, but you can get some 10 guage oxygen free copper and connectors of your choice and build alot better than many overpriced cables for a fraction of the price. i've seen skimpy 16 guage cables selling for hundreds of dollars.

Ryanddd
Unregistered guest
Some european entreprenuer was selling colored paper with a flourescent lightbulb to treat CD's, This guy figured out that holding a cd to a lamp for 30 or so seconds temporarily increased the refectivity of the
CD. It was proven that just holding the reflective side of a dvd or cd is effective at improving sound quality for one play.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6179
Audio Creams being hawked by John Wagner

Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 7
I saw an ad in an english hi fi mag the other day for what looked to basically be a green sharpie that you were supposed to color the edges of your cd's with in what they said would reduce laser reflections from jitter? It seemed suspicious to me, but as I am new in this hobby, didn't really know what to think. Anyone seen, heard of this and if it works? Seems to me I would be very reluctant to take any color sharpie to my white album.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8217
The green sharpie treatment was supposed to have been a way to defeat the anti-copying feature on some CDs made by Sony. It was not meant to improve sound.

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 152
Yah, the sharpie was so you can copy or jsut plain read cd's. That worked to. Untill they add different encryption.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10392
The world's best audio tweaks

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

NOT!

Bronze Member
Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 27
WTF!!!!!!!!!
How on earth can anyone rationally explain that clocks, jars of rocks, and springs on platforms placed about your room will improve your sound. It's ridiculous that a company even be allowed to offer those claims by selling rocks. I'm shocked that anyone would even buy those. My favorite part is when they say one clock will yield good results, but TWO clocks are even better. What?

Username: Jskinner

Post Number: 4
How about the "Silver Rock Signature Knob"
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Cod e=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2

It's a wooden knob for your volume potentiometer.
For only $485.
Quote from the website "...the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). "

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 170
double blind testing:
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts