Which is better DVI or Component?

Username: Acmoseley

Post Number: 1
I just got a Panasonic PT-50LC14 and have done all the hookups with component cables. However, I have been reading about the HDMI and DVI connections and have become interested. Now, I don't have an HDMI connection on my HDCable Box or my DVD player so that's out of the question. But, what about the DVI connection? Is it really that superior to the Component Cables?

Thanks,

Andrew

Dipsite
Unregistered guest
I have had several discussions on this but even the sales person at Best Buy and Tweeter are not very optimistic about this. What I was told was that it does make a slight difference but not worth the extra money. Hope this helps.

dirtraven1
Unregistered guest
One advantage using DVI cable with your HD Cable box is that if that your TV will auto set for the video input resolution whereas your component won't do that. Picture quality though is very very slightly better with DVI. Very Very slightly.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 46
Basicaly if your starting from scratch it's best to do the DVI or HDMI. Your starting from scratch so might as well do it.

But if your not in the market yet it's not worth the extra money to switch. Component will do the job. If you are happy with your set up espically if you purchased about a year ago. Rebuying everything isn't worth.

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 19
It all depends on your source and your display. The DVI connection keeps everthing digital from source to display. Component out has to be converted from Digital to Analogue in the source and then back to digital again at the display. How well each component does this at each step ultimatley determines your picture quality. You can get a really good DVI cable at Blue Jeans Cable for about $40 and compare the two. I have both and have not made up my mind which connection I like better. Most professional reviews say the difference in marginal.

Username: Jman8108

i only hav a component input on my mitsubishi tv but my dvd player upconverts to Hd with HDMI. any way i can convert so i can use this feature? thx for the help

Unregistered guest
I found out that the hdmi to DVI allows other information to be sent along with the signal such as digital content protection, this will disable the picture (no picture) and use a DVR to record.
If you are not using a DVR the DVI will give you the 1080 signal even if the broadcast has the copyright protection.

If you have component and the broadcast HAS the copyright protection in it, the component connection will display the copyrighted HD bradcast in 480p.

That is the difference. That is the compressed digital information lacking in component. If you have a the HD DVR always go component, at least you can watch and or record the copyrighted HD brodcast in 480p.

Component carries the HD signal without that additional information, so figure it out.
The DVI had a slightly tighter picture, but the component has better color and luminance.

It matters what you like, if like that glossy color look like a Sports Illustrated magazine then component is what you want.

If you like a tighter picture go with DVI but you will give up some luminance. Remember component has a cable seperate for that, one of the three to provide luminance by itself.

YCrCb: digital luminance + color difference

I recommend the monster component cables.

JamesDef
Unregistered guest
Sole Survivor-

Content protection will only be on HDMI-to-HDMI devices, when they both support HDCP.

You can't buy component or DVI video inputs. HD DVRs are either built into the digital cable box or DSS receiver, or with an ATSC tv tuner (for recording broadcast HDTV).

DVI is all digital, so the color and brightness is exactly as it is meant to be. Component cables are analog, so if the cables are too long & cheap it could be dim or blurry. If your TV is DLP, LCD, or plasma, DVI inputs are definitely better because the analog component signals would just have to be converted to digital again anyway. For CRT tvs component cables are just as good really.

Monster component cables cost a TON. People think that since they've spend $2000+ on a TV they need to buy $100 cables, but that's just not the case. I'd just get some short cheaper cables. I've ordered from monoprice.com and they work just fine. There's not going to be any visible difference as long as you're not getting really long cables.

jordan -
If your DVD player has a HDMI output it probably has component outputs too. You'll have to use those.

Hawkins
Unregistered guest
Actually, DVI and HDMI are not always the best choice. If you use a fixed pixel display, such as a Plasma or LCD, then yes, they will allow you to get the most out of your monitor PROVIDED that the content is being fed thru at or close to the native resolution of the monitor. If the source is of greater or lower resolution, it will be scaled up or down respectively to fit the screen. Scaling or resampling decreases the quality.

Component video, on the other hand, is the ideal choice for any projection TV and certainly any CRT based monitor. Being analog, there are no content resolution to pixel ratio considerations...but for high res material you really need to use a high quality cable. My recommendation is what I use Avic cables (http://www.aviccable.com). They're far better than monster and reasonably priced, but they don't have dvi/hdmi stuff yet.

JulianP
Unregistered guest
Thank you for the good information. I never cared about DVI or HDMI before I bought a CRT HDTV monitor with only component HD inputs, and I felt kinda stupid when people were asking why I hadn't got the ones with DVI or HDMI. It's good to know that component inputs work better for CRTs, and my DVDP only has component outputs anyway. Though, I still have a DVI source (my laptop) that I sometimes like to hook up to my TV. Where can I find a selection of DVI to component adapters/cables (and more technical info, if possible)? It would be funny if they cost more than the difference between TVs with and without a DVI input... :-(

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony 50" LCD projection with a HDMI input, I built a HTPC w/ATI 9600 DVIv/c & w/Xp Media Center (WMC), used a DVI to HDMI cable.
the picture is UNBELIVABLE, however, ATI Catalyst came out with a patch for WMC so I installed it and got a scambled picture, nothing I could do fix the picture, so I reverted back to normal XP driver and works fine.
The annoying problem with this interface is Evertime I change the input selection to the HTPC I have to change the screen format back to 16:9, It seems to me that the TV HDMI input does not auto sense the 16:9 format so it defualts to 4:3,
Could this be a problem w/ the DVI/HDMI cable I bought or is it something else, The DVI/HDMI cable was $20 from Ebay
I was thinking of tring a DVi to Comp cable and try that.
What do you guys think?

Unregistered guest
I have the Sony 50" LCD projection TV the HDMI and the Samsung DirecTv 360 HDTV tuner with DVI. I've tried several different cables to convert DVI to HDMI both support HDCP... The sales person said they are compatible... Samsung said it should work and it does however... the picture looks great for the first few minutes then i start seeing noise(snow) in the picture. I've tried 3 different brand cables(including Monster)and I've exchanged the Directv turner. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

If you haven't already you should setup a component cable only run from DirectTV to the HDTV to try to isolate the problem to the HDMI input on the Sony - and make sure the signal is pristine Hi def quality

If that looks ok, and since you are on Samsung DirectTV box #2 then it is likely something in the HDMI input on the Sony and related embedded software

Sony, Samsung, DirectTV are common combinations with large volumes of users. meaning its likely you are dealing with a conventional defect somewhere, given the numbers of people using this configuration

ironchef8000
Unregistered guest
Why try converting to a better format? The picture will only get as good as the least powerful cable in the connection. Suppose you have a whole multiple conversion rigged up; if you go from (just pretend it works) composite to component to HDMI, the picture will look exactly the same as it would on the single composite cable. Its not going to matter if you convert from HDMI to DVI, the HDMI cable will carry what quality signal it can and pass it on to the DVI, it cannot get any better if you use a better cable.

Look at it like this:

Lets say Component is a 6 (in quality), HDMI is an 8, and DVI is a 10
The signal coming from whatever your DVD player will pass on a signal to the HDMI cables. The HDMI cables will carry their "8" signal until they get to the TV or whatever. If it hits a converter half way, it will pass off an "8" signal to the DVI. The DVI cannot just invent the remaining "2" in quality required for the best possible DVI picture. It will take the 8 and pass it through the DVI cable which will take the 8 to the television. Since it cannot just improve a worse signal from an HDMI 8 to the DVI maximum 10, it will just send along the 8 it recieved. Does this make sense to anyone..?

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 38
I think he means for instance say he has a DVD player that upconverts DVD's to 1080i or 720p only through the DVI output. Would he then be able to use an adapter so that the upconverted DVI picture can be sent to the televison via component cables.

Ubal
Unregistered guest
Can Anyone here help me troubleshoot my DVI-D to HDMI issue. I switched from component to digital from my Motorola DCT6200 (DVI) to my Sony XBR960 (HDMI) using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Problem is that periodically I lose the video. Audio always good. I have to cycle power on the 6200 to re-establish the video, or disconnect/reconnect the HDMI connection on the Sony. I just know HDCP is biting me here, but I hope it might be something else (like marginal RF level feeding the DCT6200).

Unregistered guest
It looks like Tshiba's new HD-DVD players will only output HD on the HDMI interface.(http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000403050209/) Does this mean I am hosed since my HD television only has component inputs? Is there a HDMI to component conversion solution available?

Anonymous

Hi, I keep getting a copy protection prompt that says the dvi/hdmi output is blocked when I try to record certain cable programs onto my TIVO series 2 dvr. I have a panasonic 32 inch plasma with hdmi output. Does anyone know what this is happening? are some movie director simply filtering their programs from being recorded or is there an issue with my setup?

Unregistered guest
Here is the information I have figured out on my Panasonic plasma and my Tivo. I contacted the factory and they don't have a solution.

My email to Panasonic:

My cable set top box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) is connected to my plasma display (TH-42PWD8UK) via HDMI and also to my Tivo PVR via S-video. When I place my display in standby mode, my cable box outputs a message to all outputs saying "Copy protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked. Press cancel to exit.". I think this is occurring because when the display is in standby mode it stops responding to the HDCP messages coming from the STB. This causes a problem when the Tivo PVR records a program while the display is in standby mode since all that is recorded is the message saying "Copy protection. The DVI/HDMI output is blocked. Press cancel to exit."

I think what is needed is for the HDMI input card (TY-FB7HM) to stay running even while the display is in standby mode so that it can then respond to the HDCP polling that the STB is doing every few seconds. Alternately if there is a way for the display to gracefully shutdown the HDMI connection to the STB so that the STB will just disable the HDMI output without displaying a message this might work as well.

COGITO
Unregistered guest
I too get that "DVI/HDMI Output is blocked" message when recording on our ReplayTv DVR. We have an SA8300HD too, connected to a new Sony KDFE50A10 using HDMI to HDMI. As I recall, the Replay is hooked up via S-video to the 8300. We are on Cox in San Diego. Cox says they need to send a tech out, but...

Any solutions to this?

Username: Glee_hokie

Post Number: 2
None that I have found yet. The problem is that the SA8300HD displays the message on all of the video outputs instead of just turning off the HDMI output.

If anyone finds a way to get the SA8300HD to not display this message when disabling the HDMI output it will solve our problem.

I'm going to move to a receiver that includes HDMI switching. From my reading of the HDCP spec this is likely to solve my problem since the receiver will be in the HDCP communication chain.

heartless 12
Unregistered guest
Hi all i hope someone can help me

Iv just been and brought a samsung lcd tv connected it all up fine now iv found out about this HDMI/DVI stuff so im thinking about going to get a cable for it. But iv noticed that my sky box and my dvd recorder dont have this option is there anyway i coud get a converter cable or anything like this as i fell im missing out on something without this cable thanks all as you can tell this is all a bit new to me

100inchHD
Unregistered guest
Copy protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked. Press cancel to exit

I talked with Time Warner support last night for an hour. The guy tried everything he could think of.

I have researched it and i am sure i have an HDCP compliant device (optoma projector ep719) and the correct cables (HDMI --> DVI-D).

It worked fine for 3 days then I got that blasted message. Does anyone have a solution yet?

S31Ender
Unregistered guest
Won't work guys. The HDCP protection is your issue. See when you send the signal out on the HDMI or DVI you are fine because the signal is digital and thus includes the copy protection. But when you add the Svideo or component, they transmit on a analog signal....which would not include the added hdcp data. In order to stop piracy, companies just make sure that when a analog connection is in the chain, it disables it to prevent recording of the signal.
Which means you either need to upgrade to a ALL digital chain (everything is HDMI or DVI ONLY) or give up on trying to record stuff.....since it's illegal anyway from a dvd player.

Tomminer
Unregistered guest
I'm running a Sharp LC37Db5U all via HDMI through my Yamaha HTR-5990 and I have the SA8300HD. I'm still getting the DVI/HDMI output is blocked error. Any ideas if you are running all digital the whole way through

KenZ
Unregistered guest
I've got an Optoma H31 projector used as the primary display connected to the Yamaha HTR-5990. Everything works great except the S-Video from my Tivo. At certain times, the projector will display a "signal lost" message, find it again and then drop it again. I appears to happen when there is no motion (such as the tivo menu) or when a COLOR scene switches to another COLOR scene. I can watch B&W movies fine, but when a COLOR program is displayed I start getting the error.

I tried setting the "Signal Lock" setting on the projector to on or off and it doesn't make a difference. Any ideas?

HDCPblows
Unregistered guest
I also have a SA8300HD connected to my Optomo EzPro 735 projector via HDMI --> DVI cable. I get the "copy protection" message as well. I've talked to the cable provider who told me to call Scientific Atlantic, who then told me to call the cable provider. Which got me nowhere. I've tried power on sequence of SA8300HD first then projector second. still nothing. There has to be an easier way. ANY IDEAS??

Kenz
Unregistered guest
I am wondering if Optomo might be able to help you out. I also wonder where the message is coming from. Is it coming from the projector or the box itself. I have also heard too that some cable boxes don't adhere to a specific HDCP/HDMI protocol version (I think it's 1.1 now) and that has caused problems for some people. It's a pain in the rear in either case.

Kenz
Unregistered guest
I resolved my issue that I had originally posted. Not the solution I had hoped for, but it works. Instead of using the S-Video cable to connect my Tivo to the receiver, I am now using the composite cable and the problem went away. The picture looks fine (not great) on the projector and the receiver is upscaling the image. Black and white movies broadcast from TCM, recorded to Tivo (in the Highest Quality setting) look very nice when projected at 4:3. "Screen Size" is aproximately 48" wide. Kind of like a drive in movie at home.

Mark Dahl
Unregistered guest
I am also using a GEFEN HDMI Switcher 3X1 to switch between watching a DVD and PC on a Pioneer Plasma Screen.

I am using a Pioneer DVD (DV-868AVi-S) via the switch box and that works fine.

The problem is when I attempt to watch the PC on the Pioneer Plasma screen - (PDP-436FDE)

I have a Dell PC with a ATI Radeon X600 Graphics Card.
The Dell has a DVI outlet, which I am using to send a signal to the Plasma.
I purchased a GEFEN DVI to HDMI 6ft Cable.

Problem :
The Screen Resolution is really low!
800 by 600 pixels.
It won't allow me to increase the resolution, the net result is I have very large icons on the Windows Desk Top,
and the quality is really bad.

Windows, realises there is a problem, but when I say yes to the automatic correction function nothing happens.

Can someone pls help me.

C8M
Unregistered guest
"I too get that "DVI/HDMI Output is blocked" message when recording on our ReplayTv DVR. We have an SA8300HD too, connected to a new Sony KDFE50A10 using HDMI to HDMI. As I recall, the Replay is hooked up via S-video to the 8300. We are on Cox in San Diego. Cox says they need to send a tech out, but...

Any solutions to this?"

I have the same exact setup except I have a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD cable box and I have Cablevision. Has anyone found a solution to this problem, I was going to return the box for a new one because I thought it was defective. I could understand wanting to prevent people from recording over HDMI (draconian as it may be), but stopping someone from recording content over S-video seems illegal. It's like we're going all the way back to the early days of VCRs where the content providers wanted them banned.

By Scientific Atlanta blocking any Tivo or ReplayTV from being able to record over S-video, Scientific Atlanta is forcing you to pay to use their 8300HD DVR box. Either Scientific Atlanta needs to issue a firmware fix for this or Tivo needs to file a law suit against SA for unfair business practices.

belinda
Unregistered guest
"By Scientific Atlanta blocking any Tivo or ReplayTV from being able to record over S-video, Scientific Atlanta is forcing you to pay to use their 8300HD DVR box. Either Scientific Atlanta needs to issue a firmware fix for this or Tivo needs to file a law suit against SA for unfair business practices."

This is incorrect, as I have an 8300HD DVR box and I'm getting the same stupid message. I can't tell you how many shows I've had to delete because all it recorded was the message.

Username: Cougarbraun

i have the toshiba 52 in cinema series dlp and i have componet hooked up to my charter dvr cable box and the pic is blurry and not real sharp will it be better if i get dvi/hdmi cable hooked up to

Username: Foxglen

Is there a HDMI to component convertor or switcher available?

Username: Foxglen

Is there a HDMI to component convertor or switcher available?

Username: Jak_jericho

Pembroke, MA US of A

I have SA-8300. I connected it via HDMI to my Pioneer Elite 74 TSX receiver, then ran another HDMI to my Mitsu WS-65813 via an adaptor to it's DVI input. ALL DIGITAL! No signal was available. Instead, I got the picture of the component inputs and a warning telling me to connect to those. I then ran 1 HDMI with DVI adaptor from SA-8300 directly into the Mitsu 65813's DVI and I got full picture on all channels. So much for the joy of running all video through my Pioneer A/V receiver. (btw Adelphia Cable Co, Pembroke, MA

Username: Jak_jericho

Pembroke, MA US of A

re: my last post, When connecting the SA-8300 to the Pioner 74 via component cables, then connecting the 74 to the Mitsu 65-813 via HDMI/DVI, I get no problems with the HDCP restrictions. Basically it seems that the TV is not HDCP compliant and the Pioneer receiver is. Since the Pioneer is the brains of the whole system, I guess I too have to wait for some kind of firmware/software upgrade from my cable company on the SA-8300. Hello, Direct TV??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us