Can I use a 75 ohm video cable as an digital Coax?

purchased an Audioquest Video One video cable about 8 years back. I believe this is a 75 ohm silver plated copper cable (correct me if I am wrong) I have not used it in years.

I have the need for a digital coax to hook up my audio CD player to my preamp. Someone told me that I could use this cable and it would sound great. They said any 75 ohm cable will work well as a digital coax. However, I also came across an article that said using video cables for audio will result in poor results.

Could you please set the record straight. Do I need to go out and buy another digital coax cable, or will I be pleased using the Video One cable? Thanks

Derek
There should be no problem. Coax has excelent shielding, low attenuation and very wide bandwidth (in the GHz) and is cheap and duarable. It's a little stiff and thich though.

Go for it.

Frost
No you cannot, a 75 ohm cable is used for cable tv, a digital coax is a special kind of audio cable that only carries audio signals for digital surround sound....

Derek
Frost, what's so special about it?

Anonymous
hey frost what do you work for best buy or something because a coax cable is a form of a 75 ohm cable it will work perfectly fine, however I am one to tend to by expensive monster cable. try both and see if there is a difference and if not return the more expencive cable.

Anonymous
the Video One from Audioquest cable Blaine is referring to is much more expensive than a lot of the moster cables. I think Frost is thinking of a coax cable as the cable you hook up our cable with. A coax cable can also have RCA ends on it. The Audioquest Video One cable looks just like a Digital Coax cable with RCA ends.

Jake
So do I understand it correctly that I can take a standard 75-ohm cable-tv cable, put rca adapters on them, and it will work as a digital coax cable?

Derek
Yup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us