Question on digital coax & optical audio cables

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through January 05, 2005Craig Chambers100

Unregistered guest
Hi there, i was wondering if any one could help me. i was wondering if an optical cable kinda hub existed becasue i have both my xbox and ps2 with opticl cables for the surround sound but only 1 slot in my amp and its too fiddely to keep changing, so is there anything like a hub that i can put both cables from xbox and ps2 in and then 1 to my amp and switch between them?

Many Thanks :-)

Unregistered guest
What is a digital coaxial cable, is it the same as an RCA cable???!!! i am confused.
BTW: awesome page i stumbled on, thanx guys!

Anonymous

Coax and RCA can handle any electrical signal whether analog or digital.

RCA and Coax are basically equivalent, with the term RCA actually referrring to the standardized plugs at the end, and the term COAX is a generic term that refers to the cable design, one conducter down the middle and one wrapped around the inner- and all shielded, and using adaptors etc are interchangeable.

Better quality RCA's in fact are nearly identical (on the wire part) in design to Coax

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 21
Helpless Boarder,

Switches are available for optical connections. You want something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35241&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&do y=7m1

To be honest, if you aren't using the PS2 as a DVD player, it really doesn't need a digital connection. I've not seen a single game claim to have discrete sound effects. They generally either come in stereo or ProLogic (or PL II).
Therefore, you just need a cable from the PS2 AV connector that has L & R RCA outs. Here's an example: http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_59&products_id=131
I found this by searching for "PS2 av leads" on google.
This should be the cheapest way to achieve your ends.

HTH :D

Helpless boarder8686
Unregistered guest
Many Thanks Sir Chambers :-), gadgets like this rock :-)- Cheers

Unregistered guest
Posted earlier.."Coax and RCA can handle any electrical signal whether analog or digital.Better quality RCA's in fact are nearly identical (on the wire part) in design to Coax."
Can anyone say if using an rca cable is acceptable in place of a digital coaxial cable?
Any limitations on the length of the rca cable as far as signal quality? I am using a rca cable now & it works...i would like to know if i am actually wasting time...should i expect more with the 'correct' digital coaxial cable..help!

deaf in Boston
Unregistered guest
OK, I'll apologize first... I suspect this is only marginally related to this particular forum, and please direct me to a better place if there is such a beast.

I've used this forum as a "lurker/reader" for a couple of months now while I set up my home theater system (success!! Digital Cable/Monitor/DVD Player/PS2/CD/and Front/Back/Subwoofer...next stop, Logitech Remote!)

Anyhow I also would like to route my Ipod through the system but it annoys me to use RCA connections through the headphone output of the Ipod. Does a docking station take care of that? Is there a digital cable available, or necessary?

Thank you! <Mark>

Unregistered guest
ill try to make this as simple as possible...

i have a:
-digital cable box with optical audio out
-dvd player with optical audio out
-ps2 with optical audio out

i would like to plug these three into a device that that will play back the audio on surround sound speakers, (that are plugged into the device.)

so my question is, what device will let me do this? and i have three sources, so i will need to be able to switch from different inputs.

email: ericfromlq@msn.com
aim: ericfromlq

thank you

Anonymous

help needed,

I have a Dell plasma HDTV. I connected normal cable to the TV via COAX connection (no cable box usign the TV tuner). Now I just got a Sony DREAM HTIB system. The DELL has a optical audio out and the sony has an optical audio in. I connected both of them with the appropriate cable. Can even see the red light coming out from the cable BUT NO SOUND. Does the sound have to be digital as coming in from an HDTV signal or DVD or can you get normal sound such as what is provided by cable TV passed via this optical cable, PLEASE HELP....

Unregistered guest
help have two ps2,s model no scph-5ooo3 and scph-7ooo3 so no i-link ports how can i link the two together

Balaji
Unregistered guest
I am a new entrant to this forum. So pls bear with my innocence !
I just bought a DVD player, which shows one digital optical audio "output". I wish to connect it to a 5 year old Sony HiFi audio system - in which I see again another optical audio "output" only. How do I connect the DVD player to the sony system ?
Please explain.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 351
If your HiFi does not have optical nor coaxial digital input, you will have to use the analogue input. Could be marked "line in" or something similar. Check specs (mV) before connecting.

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
Ok, I bought a portable dvd player with a digital coax output but the output is not the standard rca plug, it is a 1/8" stero plug or a pin connector. Where can I find a digital coax cable or adapter with the pin connector on one end? please get back to me at iocomdoe@yahoo.com
thanks in advance

Unregistered guest
Ok, I bought a portable dvd player with a digital coax output but the output is not the standard rca plug, it is a 1/8" stero plug or a pin connector. Where can I find a digital coax cable or adapter with the pin connector on one end? please get back to me at iocomdoe@yahoo.com
thanks in advance

Anonymous

I have a Sony HDTV, a DVD player, and a surround sound system. What audio should I use to connect the TV to the surround sound? I was thinking optical. I am using component connection to connect the DVD to the TV.

Thank You,
DD114@cox.net

Username: Bobbydigital

Winnpeg, Mb Canada

Post Number: 7
i have my playre settings as large because the frequecy cutoff is very high 120hz and my speakers are as follows:
Energy xl-250 mains 150w 42hz-20khz
Energy xl-150 surrounds 100 w 60hz-20khz
Energy c100 center 100w 60hz-20khz
Paradigm ps1000 sub 200w 20hz-150hz
my recievers settings are allset to small as
the cutoff in the reciever is 80 hz but i do not know if this is bypassed when it is playing the 6ch analog input. Do you?how does this setup sound to you? it seems to sound the best but i am still experimenting with the sacd/dvd-a settings. my sub crossover is set to 80 hz the cutoff in the reciever but i have read that it should be set higher in an attempt to blend better with the speakers but i think that is for more bass capabel speakers. my energy mains have only 2 X 5.5 in. woofers

Username: Bobbydigital

Winnpeg, Mb Canada

Post Number: 9
oops,wrong thread, i hate this computer

Username: Mykle

Carolina, Puerto Rico

Post Number: 1
2 situations (novice here)

1. My digital cable box has an audio out labeled "digital audio out" and my receiver's audio, in is labeled "Coax in". I was wondering if i needed the digital coax cable for this? Since the digital cable box doesn't say "coax out".

2. my audio receiver has optical and coax audio in, can I connect both, the coax for my cable box and the optical for my dvd?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 286
1. yes
2. yes

dtb
Unregistered guest
i find that playing a dvd using coax sounds fine. but when listening to music through the same coax it sounds only half as good. my reciever has dts and what not new.
why would the dvd sound better then a music cd on the same coax?
i would blame my speakers/settings but they come to life with dvd.
hopefully someone can give me some advice on making that better.

sorry about other post i found this to be a better thread

eknee1417
Unregistered guest
I have an 5.1 surrond sound system for my computer (which I use as my stereo), is the optical connection better for sound or the component?

Unregistered guest
i recently bought the logitech z-5500 speaker system and i currently have an onboard sound card which supplies me with a 5.1 output. Currently i use the digital connection to the control center of the z-5500 but it also accommodates an optical and a coaxial input which my sound card cannot do. Currently i can hear a slight hiss from my speakers and i hope to elimninate this. Would it be better for me to buy a generally cheap 5.1 channel sound card and use an optical output to my speakers? How much of an improvement in terms of audio quality will it have?

thanks

Unregistered guest
i recently bought the logitech z-5500 speaker system and i currently have an onboard sound card which supplies me with a 5.1 output. Currently i use the digital/direct connection to the control center of the z-5500 but it also accommodates an optical and a coaxial input which my sound card cannot do. Currently i can hear a slight hiss from my speakers and i hope to elimninate this. Would it be better for me to buy a generally cheap 5.1 channel sound card and use an optical output to my speakers? How much of an improvement in terms of audio quality will it have?

thanks

uni0
Unregistered guest
Are composite cables and component cables the same physically? I heard I can use the yellow for Y, red for Pr, and white for Pb. Is this true?

BDigital
Unregistered guest
I have a satellite receiver with an SPDIF coaxial digital audio rca output and a dvd recorder with an I.LINK aka 4-pin Firewire, IEEE 1394 audio input. Are these compatible or will I have to use the RCA analog output jacks?

Mark Rud
Unregistered guest
Hello. This looks like a very useful thread especially for novices like myself. I have a DVD-player (Roadstar) with coax digital out, and a SKY+ box with optical digital out. However, my Philips TV only has one coax digital input. Therefore, how can I connect them so that I do not need to manually switch from DVD to SKY+ input (I guess I need something like a splitter that takes one coax and one optical input, with at least one coax output). Any help much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 413
Maybe getting into Home Theater would be the solution? I think an A/V receivers could work as a switch by now. And eventually you might get a 5.1 speaker system, to really enjoy movie watching.

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
Very useful site, thanks for all the info by all that contribute. I have a question, which I hope isn't too dumb...

I'm trying to finagle my audio wiring to fit in limited receiver inputs. I believe we have the expanded analog cable service (i.e. we don't get any of those special additional digital channels). It's Cox service if that matters.

My question is this: If I connect the cable box digital audio out to my receiver digital audio in, will I be able to listen to the analog cable channels' sound through my receiver/speaker set-up, and not have to use the t.v. speakers? Also, would this signal be converted via prologic or something into surround, or just play through the front speakers (which would be fine)?

Lastly, is would DirecTV operate in the same fashion?

happy now
Unregistered guest
We cancelled sky quite a while ago but have recently been told we can use the sky box as afreeview digi box can anyone tell me if this is true

reggie1
Unregistered guest
I think someone asked a while back - "Are composite cables and component cables the same physically? I heard I can use the yellow for Y, red for Pr, and white for Pb. Is this true?"

Hi there. Basically the answer is no. Component and composite video cables are not the same. A composite cable carries not only video but also audio signals - it usually has three phono plugs or a scart plug as a connector. Two of the three plugs are used for stereo audio signals (left & right) and only one is used for the video which means that all that video info is compressed (sort of) down into one signal - not so good!
A (superior) component cable has the abitlity to carry three different (purely) video signals - as you mentioned - and so when used with a digital video source (i.e. DVD) and a receiver that takes a component cable (i.e. projector / plasma TV) then it caters for much better picture quality. The component cable just deals with the different video components and ignores the audio so you obviously need to consider using a different cable for the audio. However remember that there's little point in getting one of these cable's for a TV that doesn't have a component input. In this case it's best to use S-Video. Hope this helps.

Username: D_singh

Post Number: 4
Physically, no they are not the same. Reggie is on the right track, but failed to answer the question. The internal copper conductor may be striated in regular composite cables and solid in component cables as they are in digital coaxial cables to achieve a certain impendance load. Basically, REAL component cables will give you far less signal degredation than regular composite video, and especially RCA audio cables.

Unregistered guest
Does optical audio cable conform to the same standards as fiber optic network cable? If it does is it single mode, multimode or mode?

Unregistered guest
Found this an extremely informative and helpful site.

Would be grateful if anyone out there could clarify what may well be a dumb question.
Cant I send the video signal from my dvd player direct to my tv using the composite cable instead of to the receiver and then from receiver to tv. would i lose any fidelity and is there any processing in the receiver?

Al Anon
Unregistered guest
To scarborough: You could, you'd just have to make sure you have a video delay function on your DVD player because the video will get transferred faster to the source than the audio because of the by-pass connection.

Processing video wise, I don't think that's a problem as the DVD player and the source monitor are the ones that should have the technology to up or downscale.

Unregistered guest
I have a Thomson DTI1500HD set top box connected to my Yamaha RX-V995 A/V receiver via optical cable for sound. I can't get digital sound out of the reveiver even though the information regarding the tv channel says it is a digital signal. Can anyone offer any suggestions ?
Bill

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1714
Are there audio menus on the Thompson? You may need to change the audio settings.

srfabuloso
Unregistered guest
My satellite receiver has a Digital Coax Output and my Audio system has a Optical input. How can I make this connection?

Unregistered guest
In my PC System I have an ESI Juli@ sound card that has among other things the following:
1. Built in digital optical output - 5.1 Dolby digital support
2. Digital coaxial I/O (with support for up to 192kHz) - 5.1 Dolby digital support.

Can I connect this to any AV receiver say Denon 2105 or 2805 and get same quality output. I mean in this case if I play audio file sampled at 192khz can I get the same output( more than DVD Audio quality I presume). If so in how many channels? Should I use digital optical out for best results? Kindly advise.

Simon J
Unregistered guest
Hi there -- I'd be very grateful for some help (and apologies if I've missed a relevant discussion somewhere along the thread).

I have a Philips iDTV and Pioneer DVD/home cinema system. The two are connected by means of (1) a SCART connection, (2) audio L+R leads, and (3) SPDIF out (from the TV) to optical in (on the DVD player) via a digital-to-optical converter. However, I can only hear the sound from analogue TV stations through the home cinema speakers.

As such, when the TV is switched from analogue to digital mode, the sound from the digital station can be heard through the TV, but the sound from the analogue TV station can still be heard through the home cinema speakers. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this problem? Philips and Pioneer each suggested arranging the optical/digital connection, which I've done (as per the above), but it doesn't seem to make any difference!

Many thanks in advance.

Unregistered guest
Can I connect (parallel) additioanl satelite speakers to my existing book shelf front speakers,

Anonymous

hi, the coax digital conection, what i dont under stand is,, it has the rca on both sides,, the logitech z-5500 has a digital coax in .. ok,, so one end goes to the speaker`s,, the other end has the same connecter,, if plugged in the dvd ,, it gives no sound,, am i doing something wrong,, the dvd menu has all digital and dolby settings to on. could you guide me to how to plug in the coax cable to the dvd?

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a HDTV plasma tv but it has only 1 optical audio output. How can I connect to my not so new dvd/home theater system. My system has only regular av inputs.

Anonymous

Hi, I have a digital audio output on my tv. To connect the receivers with Dolby Digital or PCM the manual suggest to use Optical audio cable. My question is the Optical audio cable is the same as Optical Fiber Audio "Toslink" Cable.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4265
yes it is

bevans
Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR and a Yamaha Reciever. How Is it possible for the optical to send sound but not be picked up as a digital sound. I have 5 channel sound but not digital. Only analog

Username: Chuckinkc

Overland park, Ks

Please HELP... I'm using an Optical (toslink) cable from my cable box to home theater receiver. Receiver only has OPTICAL IN. The sound works for a while and then goes out completely with no sound at all. Intermittent audio continuously. 25' cable from wall mount to cable box. 3' tsolink cable from cable box to home theater receiver.
1.What can I do to fix this?
2.Considering exchanging home theater for one with coax audio input. Will this solve problem? not preferred choice.

BK117medic
Unregistered guest
If an HDMI cable is used from cable box to HD TV. Knowing this carries both the video signal and audio signal, and is the best quality. Can the audio be taken from the cable box to a receiver with an optical cable for surround sound. The receiver does not have HDMI connection but has Optical audio connection. Or do I have to use seperate component video and the optical cable?

Anonymous

I am connecting my computer to receiver through optical cable. while playing DVD on computer I set it to pass through audio to optical out. My receiver decodes it and plays Dolby digital. I also connect analog RCA cable from PC to receiver to get analog out.

I also connect my wireless headphone to one of the audio out jack of the receiver. I dont get any sound on my wireless speaker. Why?

If I play a regular mpeg file then I can hear the sound through the wireless headphone.

Two questions:
1) When I am playing DVD on PC DVD software does SPDIF passthrough and as a result it doesnt output sound on the analog out, it does only on optical out. Why receiver is not converting that optical in to analog out through the RCA jack connected to the headphone?
2) Is there a way to tell DVD player(PC) to output both on analog out as well as SPDIF passthrough?

Derek Pattenden
Unregistered guest
ive done alot of research into these problems, the optical cable and coaxial cable are almost identical, i use the coax because the signal is not affected by bends or excessive length, the optical however, is affected by these problems, now as for running both, a myth, the player or amplifier only puts out one signal at a time, so the fact that you have a coax and an optical, a waste of about 60-180 bucks, i dont know about you, but my coax cable cost 150 bucks, im not buying another optical for 150...but i see the coax as the logical choice, and i have an amzing stereo, i have invested thousands, and realisically, the sound i get is phenominal, hope this helps, as for the computer problems, i have no idea what im talking about when it comes to computers...sorry

Derek Pattenden
Unregistered guest
the guy with the optical audio, you need to change the settings on your DVD player to output optical digital signals, should be fairly simple in DVD options, if your not sure consult the manual, but its default is always analogue..hope that helps

Brandon Mc
Unregistered guest
First of all, thanks to everyone on here that has posted, there is some REALLY good info on this forum.

I have 2 questions. 1.) I am looking to buy a surround sound system soon and I wanted to spend around $300. Is it possible to get a decent quality system for this price or no? 2.) How much difference does it make for the subwoofer to have it's own power plug (instead of getting power through the speaker wire)?

Thanks in advance!

awbrowne
Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi Plasma Tv, and have hooked it up to my DVD and my older Bose Lifestyle 12. I used RCA cables to connect the DVD audio to the TV, and also to connect the TV to the Bose (the Bose does not have an optical input). I can play and listen to DVDs through the TV. I can also use the Bose with TV shows just fine. However, I cannot get sound through the Bose from DVDs. I've checked the DVD output settings. I;ve tried to learn from previous postings, but am still baffled - - The fact that sound IS going from DVD to TV, and IS going from TV to Bose, but doesn't get from DVD to Bose has me confused. I don't need to connect the DVD directly to the Bose, do I?

Clive2go
Unregistered guest
Great forum Q & A's.
Just bought a Pioneer DVR 433HS recorder which I know has an Optical digital output and the two audio phono outputs for the sound (I am going to use Componant to connect to Sharp LC32GD7E LCD TV)
Question: which cable connect shoud I order for sound. The two jack audio cables or the optical (Toslink?) cable. I cant find any pictures for the back of my Sharp TV. (its on order so don't know what its got yet)
any help/ opinions really appreciated

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I just got Harman/Kardon AVR 135 Receiver and Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III Home Entertainment Speaker System. The output, expecially bass is not as expected or there is no bass at all, could anyone please suggest any configuration/settings to achieve bass?
Thanks

Anonymous

Hi!
I just bought a Sony WEGA 42" LCD projection and a Panasonic SC-HT15 Home Theater Audio System.
I also have 3 other units I hope I can run through the Stereo (I bought this stereo since it doesn't have a DVD player and it's very slim).
I have the following 3 units:
1) RCA VCR with composite outputs only
2) LiteOn DVD Recorder/DVD Player (has both
Digital Outs(Coaxial and Optical).
3) Apex DVD player (has /Coaxial and Composite
outputs).
4) Plus the Sony TV (has Optical and Composite
Outputs).

Could I keep the 3 units plugged into the TV and just run the Digital Audio Optical from the TV to the Optical Input of the Stereo receiver OR would it be better to run Optical Out from the TV to the receiver's 1st Optical Input, along with running separate Output cords from the other 3 devices to the Reciever (has 2 Optical Inputs, 1 Coaxial Input and 3 sets of Composite Inputs). Ex: DVD Recorder Optical Out to the 2nd Optical Input of the receiver and the Coaxial from the Apex DVD player to the receiver's Coaxial Input and the VCR's Composite Outputs (Red & White cords) to the Receiver's Composite Input.

It would be a lot cheaper if I could keep everything hooked up to the TV and just run the one Digital Audio Optical Out from the TV to the Digital Audio Optical IN of the Receiver, especially when Best Buy wants $59 for a 3.3 foot Digital Audio Optical cord. Wouldn't the sound from all 3 units go through the TV OK in surround sound or would the sound be degraded this way?

Also, do you know where I should buy a Coaxial or Optical cord for the best price?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer a suggestion.

Anonymous

First to set the stage: I have a new Vizio 50" plasma. With that I am using a new JVC RX-D401s receiver. It has an HDMI out that I plan to hook to to the plasma. I have an upconverting DVD player that will use one of the "in" HDMI connections and the second HDMI will (hopefully) be used from the satellite (Dish Network) DVR. But, I still have some audio equipment, like CD and cassette and even (gasp!) phono, some of which allow either RCA connectors, digital coax and/or optical. Here's my question: given of choice of these audio connections, is there an order of preference I should look at? I like the single cable of HDMI for the video stuff, and there is something mighty sweet looking about a single coax or thin optical cable as opposed to the clunky right/left RCA feeds. Any thoughts?

Alpro88
Unregistered guest
I had the same dilema- which cable to choose.

Eventually was steered to getting good quality phono leads.
With audio I think you have an analogue signal anyway so converting to digital out then back to digital in then analogue can screw things up. Also, for my pennys worth, there is no flex with digital. It works or it dont. So if the signal screws up you get screwed with the signal too. hope that helps..

Anonymous

One of the most difficult areas in Home theater to correct is Ground loop hum. I have read through many pages on diagnostic tools and remedies but still not quite there in correcting it. What are the experts saying and can it ever be completely corrected?

Thank you.

Squiz
Unregistered guest
Greetings -- this is a top forum...

I have a question concerning what lengths can you run either audio optical or audio coaxial cables. After scrolling through this forum Berny said on 20Mar04 that; "there should be no signal loss at all on any which one until you get to a certain length and that is where the coaxial cable shows its weakness".

Then more recently Derek Pattenden on 30Nov05 states; "I use the coax because the signal is not affected by bends or excessive length, the optical however, is affected by these problems".

So, what is it. I've noticed on eBay the longest available audio coax cables are 13 feet however Toslink manufacture optical cables as long as 50 feet? Either the later is designed to run along the wall of an aircraft hanger or Derek isn't correct.

Any ideas guys?? Thanx - Squiz

tim101
Unregistered guest
hi,i was just wondering which Digital Audio Optical cable should I buy? because there are different types eg toslink,Interlink LightSpeed and they all vary significantly in terms of prices.If there isnt a big differnece in sound quality than i would end up buying the regular Toslink optical cable.So can somebody please guide me through this ,i will highly appreciate it.

dannv
Unregistered guest
Is there any way to split a digital coaxial audio cable as to send the signal to twin speaker systems working in tandem?
I HAV AN AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATNUM AND HOPE TO SEND THE SIGNAL TO BOTH OF MY LOGITECH Z5500 SYSTEMS.

Mark O.
Unregistered guest
I am connecting my HDTV cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200HD) to my new home theater receiver (Yamaha HTR-5850) and have a question about the audio hookup. The cable box has audio out options of either digital coax or RCA L/R. My options on the receiver end are eitehr digital optical or audio L/R input for DTV/CBL input. Will I be getting digital sound using the L/R inputs, or do I need a coax/optical converter to get it (and if so, is it worth doing the conversion)? Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

dannv
Unregistered guest
is there any way to split a digital coaxial audio cable as to send the signal to twin speaker systems working in tandem?
I HAV AN AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATNUM AND HOPE TO SEND THE SIGNAL TO BOTH OF MY LOGITECH Z5500 SYSTEMS.
plz help!

Unregistered guest
I currently have my PS2 hooked to my audio receiver via a digital optical connection. It had been sounding great for about a year, then out of the blue the sound on DVDs and games has started to skip. It will play jsut fine through all 6 channels, but every few seconds it will just go silent for a split second. Any suggestions?

Please help, I can't stand anything through the TVs factory speakers for much longer...

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 399
MtJtR: If there are noticable breaks in sound where there should be source material, other optical inputs have the same problem, then I would say that the receiver, specifically it's optical digital circuit has a problem. It also might be possible that the one optical input only that you use for the PS2 has a problem. If all optical inputs work fine from other sources then I would say that the PS2 is suspect.

IanC
Unregistered guest
I have a AR GR-3200T set-top box (rebadged Thomson DTI-5100HD apparently) with digital optical audio out into digital optical in a RX-V450 AV receiver. Video out is via component leads.

I also tried composite video/audio out of the set-top into a Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder. The recorder then had component out to the receiver and digital optical audio out to the receiver.

With these settings I get picture but no sound from the TV channels through the set-top box and no TV signal through the DVD recorder, but I can play DVD's fine.

Any suggestions?

Tom Ferg
Unregistered guest
My satellite receiver has optical audio out only (not coaxial). I have an existing coaxial cable routed under the floor to the audio receiver which is about 20' awayrequiring over 30' of cable. I can't move the components closer together.What are my options?

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
Tom: All you need to buy is an optical to coaxial converter. These run about $20-30 I think. Check Radioshack or Partsexpress.com

Geoff Gibson
Unregistered guest
The guy from Comcast came to my house today and hooked up my digital cable to my rear projector tv. However, he used monster component cables that he got out of his truck to connect everything for me. shouldn't i use optical and coax digital cables for the audio? i also have an HDMI that will work for the video for my TV and i wanted to use that as well. what should i do?

Unregistered guest
Ok. I know that this was most likely stated above but I don't want to read it all. So right now I have a coaxial cord going from my DVD recorder to my reciever. Would it make a difference to switch to an optical or to use them both? or just keep it how it is? Also is it worth the money? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I recently switched my brighthouse TV cable box to a High Definition Pace 5500 cable box so I could utilize the component video and also hook up my Koss Home Theater to get dolby digital 5.1 sound. I ran a digital optical audio cable from the cable box optical output to the Koss home theater optical input. I get great sound but the sound is not synchronized with the TV video. The sound seems to be slightly delayed. My digital optical cable (from Walmart) came with two 2.5mm adapters to put on if needed. Do I need these adapters or is my problem something else?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5098
Dan,
You'll be fine with how it is right now.

Brian33233
Unregistered guest
I hooked up my dvd player to a Sony surround sound system which has an orange coaxial digital cable. According to the instructions i connected both the orange coaxial cable and the RCA cables from the dvd player to the reciever. Originally everything worked fine, but then i had to remove the RCA cables temporarily, and when i plugged them back in there is no longer audio. The reciever says "coax" above "DVD" on the display screen. When i unplug the coax cable the audio will work. Any ideas as to what happened and how to get it all working together again?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2209
In the player's audio menus, set the DD and DTS output to bitstream.

Unregistered guest
I'm about to invest in a thx a/v receiver and I'd like to know if hdmi hookups are worth paying 50% more for the receiver.

Unregistered guest
Someone asked why you'd want to convert digital coax to digital optical? I have a DirecTV TiVO w/only digital optical available, RCA theater w/coax and optical, and a RCA VCR/DVD recorder with only optical. Hence, I have two optical output systems and only one optical input available. Would it be better to get something like the Optical Toslink Selector Switch or a coax to Toslink optical converter?

Appreciate the help.

Ken Jackson
Unregistered guest
Can I hook the Digital Optical Outputs from my Cable Box and my DVD to my Home Theater's Single Digital Optical Input with a 2 to 1 adapter?

If I use the Digital Optical Out from My Sony TV to my Home Theater will I end-up with Digital/5.1??

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Ken: Probably. I haven't actually tried a two to one optical converter. I wouldn't use this method for active switching with both optical sources powered on, however. You will need an optical switcher to do that,which the design is different. Have only one on at a time otherwise the input on the home theater system may become "confused" and you may have problems. With off-air HDTV reception the Dolby Digital signal will vary widely with programming but it will either full DD 5.1 or DD 2.0 stereo. The optical output from your tv will pass either.

Username: Colreb

Thank you for this great site! I have a somewhat minor question. Is there some benefit I am not aware of running the COMPONENT VIDEO cords to the receiver instead of directly to the TV? These cords have nothing to do with sound so it seems a redundant move.

Unregistered guest
Greetings.

I have the option of running my multi-channel audio from my DVD player and/or cable box over HDMI, optical, iLink, or Coax. I prefer the cleaner HDMI implementation (1-cable = less clutter) but don't want to sacrifice any sound quality. I'm currently using optical cables and am happy with the sound, and haven't been able to notice any substantial difference when testing HDMI. Any thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2269
Rob, connect them straight to the TV. The less equipment you run the signal through, the purer the signal.

bacolo
Unregistered guest
After hooking up a optical cable from my hd cable box to my bose media unit I started to get pcm 2.0 audio instead of dolby 5.1. Is 2.0 better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6317
It depends on your preference. Some like 2.0 and others like the 5.1 surround.

bacolo
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your response. But am I better off with an optical cable that gives me pcm 2.0 or a digital cable that gives me 5.1. Also does the 2.0 through the optical calbe give off better surrond sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
Frankly folks,I don't see the issue here. HDTV,be it DirectTV, Dish Network, your local cable HDTV provider or free off-air broadcast uses Dolby Digital as it's audio component. It is offered in either stereo, referered to as DD "2.0" or DD surround 5.1-7.1. It all depends on the source as to audio content. If your decoder will process full 5.1 or even 7.1 it will also process DD 2.0,irregardless of digital input,(coaxial,optical). These are the choices and are dependent on the cable/sat, or off air signal and the content of the source. For example all DirecTV HD programming,and Dish Network HD will be full 5.1 with movies and sports,nearly always and on some presentations 6.1 and even 7.1, very ocassionally of course!

Username: Lrgopal

Kuwait, Kuwait Kuwait

Dear Sir,
Can I convert Optical Digital out (5.1 channe)from my sony DVD player to my Amplifier having 3 inputs analog which is in normal stereo speaker jacks for Front left and right and same for rear and one single speaker jack for centre.
Regards
Goapl

Bronze Member
Username: Dvak

Post Number: 14
i have my speakers wires for over 10 years. is it still ok to use them or should i have to get new ones.

Username: Vterp

Baltimore, MD US

Greetings,

I have a HD plasma with 2 HMDI inputs, Directv with HDMI out, a dvd with HDMI out both going into a receiver with 2 hdmi in/1 out. The cables are going trough the receiver. The receiver manual says I need optical or coax cables to play surround sound. Those channels aren't carried by HDMI? Is using the receiver as a HDMI switcher the best way? Many Thanks!

Username: Maxamoeba

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=5&post=100488#POST100488
Try Geffen.com, CablesToGo or RamElectronics

Username: Haighy

I have sky HD and a panasonic HDTV, now i get the high quality picture but not the surround sound, my 5.1 surround sound box is connected to my skyHD box with a red and white rca cable, is this enough to provide surround sound or do i need to use an optical audio cable, because if i do my surround sound system does not have an optical audio input, what should i do?

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2706
You need either digital coax or optical to get 5.1. If the receiver doesn't have one or the other, it isn't 5.1 capable.

Username: Breejen

hi there...
I just bought an RCA receiver and it works great with dvds however,altough I have a coax digital cable going from my cable box to the receiver, I don't get all the speaker icons to light up(only the 2 front ones but the others work). The receiver does say that it is in DD and surround. The icons all light up only when playing dvds..I also have a coax cable from the dvd to the receiver...
Please help, there is nothing in the literature that I have read that can explain the reason why not all icons light up when viewing a dds movie of channel

Username: Stallion2497

York, South Carolina USA

I have just recently purchased a home desktop computer with 7.1 surround sound card with digital audio out. Will this audio out work with a home surround sound system, and give me the sourround sound like in a theatre?

Username: Erikapixxy

can anyone help? i cant figure out how to hook up my ps2 to the tv. do i need an extra cable? or an rf modulator? help!

Username: Wb4dwd

I am sorry to be so ignorant, but I am having trouble figuring out the different fiber optic digital audio connectors. I have a ReplayTV (4160) and a HDTV cable DVR (8300HD Scientific Atlanta)that both have one kind of connector, (they have small plastic covers that fall back when pressed) while the Yamaha receiver (rx-v657)I have appears to use a different connector, protected by a square plasic plug. . Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2791
They are both the same. Most newer equipment uses the flap instead of the plastic plugs. The flap is better, the plastic plugs fall out and get lost. You need a TOSLink cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 34
erika annibell, Game console hookups terminate with a yellow (video) and red and white (R&L Audio) connectors. Newer TV's have these inputs on the back, on the side or in front under a cover and sometimes combinations of the three. If your TV does not have this type of input you will need an adapter. Your local Best Buy or Radio Shack will help you out.

Post Number: 2
thank you ken, i do have these inputs, i figured out that i cant turn my tv on video, so my ps2 hooks up fine, but will not show me the game since it doesnt go to video, i cant manually turn my tv to video, and my remote was broken, so i bought 2 universal remotes and i know how to set them, but the sensor doesnt read it. thank you for your help though =)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2801
The universal remotes you are trying to use may not have the right codes for your TV. Try a One For All remote. If it's a fairly new TV, I'd suggest the 8910, which can be upgraded over the phone. If the TV is a few years old, any One For All remote should work. The TV/VID button changes input.

Post Number: 3
alright, i just bid on one of those on ebay..why not try if nothing else works right? it may just be my tv though..ah well, thank you for yor help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2806
It's possible the remote sensor on the TV is bad, it doesn't happen very often though. It's more likely the universal you were trying didn't have the right code programmed into it.

Username: Jrug22

Question: My reciever has only 5.1 sound in. I have an HD cable box with optical sound out and a dvd player with 5.1 sound out. Is there a converter out there that will allow me to go 5.1 in/optical in and then 5.1 out?

Thanks,
Joe

Gold Member

Post Number: 8359
That is what a 5.1 receiver does! Once you have the digital 5.1 input, the 5.1 receiver will put out the 5.1 signal through your speakers.
What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Do you have speakers connected to the receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8360
And if you want a 5.1 output from your receiver besides the speaker outputs, get a receiver that has 5.1 pre-outs or a pre amp processor. There are plenty of receivers that can do that as well.

Thanks Berny, but I my cable box does not have 5.1 out. It has SPDIF optical out and SPDIF COAX out. My Receiver has only 5.1 in (left, right, center, rear left, rear right, and sub), not the SPDIF in. I am trying to go from SPDIF out to 5.1 in. I hope that explained it better. Any thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8362
Joe,
What receiver do you have? If the receiver has a Digital Coaxial input then that is where you can connect the SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface)output from the cable box. That is the 5.1 output of your cable box, your receiver should be able to decode the signals from there.

I have a Yamaha RX-V692. It does not have a digital Coaxial in. In only has inputs for the 5.1, so I need to convert digital coaxial out to 5.1 leads in.
It may just be time to buy a new receiver.

Thanks for trying to help,
Joe

Gold Member

Post Number: 2812
There are DVD players with built in decoders, or at least there used to be. You might be able to pick one up on ebay for a decent price.

Username: Bgthang

I am not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I just bought one and it is awesome.
heres the link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7660578&type=product&id=1134701087 687
I have researched these and there is a cheaper solution from joytech but had problems with their optical ports.\

This contraption has 4 inputs and one output.
Heres the inputs . These are for each of the 4 inputs:
Optical audio,composite video, rca audio, component (for HiDef input), ethernet, and svideo.
Output is the same.

My dilema was I have a HD TV with only one component input
I needed to hook up my xbox360 in HD, dvd Upconvert player , and my new dish HD. I like the multiple optical inputs as well. My amp only has 2 inputs.
The kewl thing is you do not have to change the tv input or stereo input jsut have to use the remote that come with th psyclone and switch between the 4 inputs, You can label the different inputs due to the lcd screen onfron of psyclone
cost 119.00 well worth it.
Other boxs with this quality are 400+
optical

Username: Bshennessey

I set up my home theater (Samsung LNS3251D 32" Wide LCD HDTV with Integrated ATSC Tuner, Yamaha HTR-5930SL 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver, Harman Kardon HKTS 14 6-Piece Loudspeaker System) and everything works except I can't get the TV sound to go through the speakers. I could use someone's help in finding the problem. I have a DVD player and cable box, and the DVD plays sound through the speakers.

brian,
I assume you want the sound coming from your cableTV to play thru your stereo.
Typically there is at least one audio out on your cable box, should be a red and white connector labeled audio and should say out.
these connect to your stereo. I do not have that yamaha model but on my yammy receiver (yamaha) I have a port in the back that says dtv/cable audio in. and its red/white connectors.
I just however upgraded to dish HI-DEF satielite and it has fiber optic audio out, which I hooked into my psyclone video switcher and I have the audio out of the switcher going into my yammy's optical audio in port.
You must select however if choosing the optical the proper audio stream to output.
I think it was changing it from analog to digital on the yammy. on dvd players its analog to pcm or something like that.

actually I mean upgraded to satellite hi-def.
cannot find the edit button

Username: Bshennessey

Awesome, thanks Ken

Username: Edjamesx

Hi ,
I am new to this forum. I have ONKYO + BOSE home theater system , I connected my DVD player with my ONKYO using digital co-axial cable .. (it costed me only 2$ , I got it in local electronics shop) . Even though it works great and Effects are good.. I don't hear the sound very clear .. i sometimes hear the distorted sound .
Is there a difference between Optical /Coaxial digital cables ?. I have both inputs/outputs for my a/v reciever I am currently using Coaxial.
Will buying the high quality coaxial/optical cable help to improve the sound clarity ?.
Note : For my wonder i hear more clear sound from my TV which is connected using RCA cables.

Username: Jules1986

Edinburgh, Scotland Britian

Hi,

can anyone help?

i am trying to find a FREE upgrade for a driver for a liteon dvd recorder lvw 5115 for my dvd player and NOT for a pc as i can not find one on the internet - either that or im not looking in any of the right places lol, hope someone can help.

Jules

Username: Jules1986

Edinburgh, Scotland Britian

Hi,

can anyone help?

i am trying to find a FREE upgrade for a driver for a liteon lvw 5115 or goodmans GDVD301RP dvd recorder for my dvd player and NOT for a pc as i can not find one on the internet - either that or im not looking in any of the right places lol, hope someone can help.

Jules

Username: Starfish

Hi ,
I have a different problem . I have been using Onkyo TX-SR500 for past 4 years and since then I never had any problems till last week. My A/V reciver is connected with Pioneer DVD player ,and I have used Optical cable for Audio transmission to receiver. Recently there is some problem with the Audio part .Whenever I start the Receiver there will be no Audio ,and if I leave it for some time Audio comes back ,or If I switch to Video1 mode for sometime and come back to DVD mode Audio starts working . I tried using both of the Optical port in Reciver ,but result is the same. I am yet to try out with Coax cable ,but just wanted to check if anyone else had seen such problem .
Thanks
Praveen

Username: Picksix

Has anyone every had difficulty plugging in an optical audio plug? It's my first time using one and I can't get it to "click" in. It looks and feels right but it just won't click?? I've tried it on a number or units but result is the same. There aren't different types of optical cable are there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3690
They don't (click) in, it's their biggest flaw. They just slide in until it stops. As long as there's no tension on the cable, it should stay there.

Username: Daddymalone

None, Ma Usa

Good Evening everyone? i have a question about the optical audio cable. Does that cable snaps into your surround sound or does it just sit there loosely? because i bought it today and its my first time and i dont want to break but its not sitting in there like it should. Thanks in advance for all answers

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1655
Loose and snap are both subjective terms. Does it work?

None, Ma Usa

sir its brand new and because i couldnt get it in i stop trying im sure it does its just my first time using it so i didnt know if they snap in or they just kind of hang when you out it in its not snug

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1657
Ok Kevin, I understand a bit better now. Once it goes in, and it should only go in one way of the four possibilities, some are loose some are not. Never force it in.

You did not list your gear nor identify it in your profile so I can not comment on if it is a factor.

Username: Picksix

Did you remove the little rubber boot that covers the connection?

None, Ma Usa

No sir I did not remove the boot off of it, Because I wasnt sure if I should . Please tell me what should I do Sir?

Username: Jbrosecity

Hi I scanned all the posts looking for an answer to a simple question. I learned a lot from this excellent forum but didn't see mhy specific question answered which is this: My new HDTV has optical audio out but no Coax (RCA). I have a sound bar which sounds great but only has RCA in. So no way to connect the two without a converter. I find items like "Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter" but these have the single audio in and a single RCA out. Obviously you can convert the double RCA cables from the sound bar to a "2-into-1" connector before connecting to the single RCA jack on the Converter box but then it seems to me you will lose stereo sound which the TV produces. Am I missing something? thanks in advannce... and Happy New Year to everyone!
}

Username: Key2ernest

I have this cable box that is connected through the digital optical audio cord to a home theatre sourround system, but i noticed that the audio quality of the A.V manual connection on the same systems is better than the digital. Also their is this red light when one end of the digital cord is connected to the cable box but non when its connected to the the reciever(home theatre). is the light thing normal or is it that their is problem with the digital connection on my home theatre. should i try the coaxial? please i need urgent response thanks.

Username: Inessabrown

could anybody help me? I want to purchase a booster for my summer house but I do not know if the cable between inside antenna and the booster itself may be larger than 5 m that is mentioned on their site?

Username: Jkcomer

I have learned a lot from yours. Thank you

Username: Inessabrown

I found the info about the cables to find you in FAQs at http://www.myamplifiers.com

Username: Russell88jones

Any problems related to cables of any type please visit the link below.
thanks..
audio video cables http://www.discountcablestore.com/

Username: Jto

I have Dish DVR and Sony V55ES amp with 50 foot run of digital coax. The opt out on the DVR is converted using Impact Acoustics(40019) and back to optical on the amp side. This works fine until we have electrical storms. Strikes even in the distance disrupt the sound momentarily. The operation of some electrical switches in the room also cause the same problem. Has anyone else experenced this, and if so, do you have a solution?
Thanks in advance
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us