Universal Remote

Frank1203
Unregistered guest
I have just about completed a full up home theater installation and now have the hideous problems of many remotes. My installer recommended a high-end Universal remote that costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 (with his programming). I cant afford that right now.

In one of my other posts, someone suggested the Harmony Universal remote. I have a Best Buy gift certificate and am considering buying this remote but I guess I need to understand from some of you as to whether this remote will really perform all the functions I need it to perform (only home theater - Amps, receiver; TV; CD and DVD player; Phono, etc.) and how easy is it to program this remote. Can an "average Joe" like me do it? Any advice or experience that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Colehill

San diego, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
I own an audio/video installation co. in san diego and am relatively new with using Harmony remotes, but out of about 20 remotes that we have sold we are very impressed with its simplicity and cost. Harmony remotes will control 99.9% of audio/video components and many other applications, and are easily programmed from your pc. Go to the website and look over the features, i'm sure you will be satisfied with the results.

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 82
Go with the harmony remote from best buy. the remotes simplicity will scare you and the things it can control. I find myself being able to sit in front of my tv and veg or stay on my couch and flip to my ps2 and then over to a dvd with the press of 2 buttons.

I have had other all in ones and it would not control most of the equipment and i was stuck with 3 remotes, until i picked up my harmony remote. You will be glad you picked it up..

no i am not a salesman ... just very happy with mine.

Frank1203
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. I wanted to let you know that I did purchase the harmony Remote 880 and I've owned it now for a little more than 2 weeks and I realy love it. I did have to spend alot of time customizing the remote to suit my setup and I did spend many a phone call with their very proactive technical support team, but I pretty much have it the way I want it now except for a few minor tweaks. The website is very user friendly and I have never had a software or uploading issue.

So far, I only have one minor quirk. I can't seem to get the 880 to communicate wuick enough with my TV or Receiver. In other words, my equipment doesn't react quick enough to me pushing th buttons on the 880 to change channsl or volume etc. Tech suport helped me improve on this a little, and I tried the online adjustments, but it's still not right. Overall - 4.5 out 5.0 !!

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 83
ya now that you mention it. I do find mine a bit slow in reaction time, but its alot easier and probably alot faster then picking up 4 different remotes. The volume does not seem to be that big of an issue for me. I only have the 520 so i am sure there are many differences between models.

Username: Fs3200

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am looking for code for the pansat 3500 and what remote will emulate this code ?Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us