Preamp jumper cable

Username: Starbucks

Post Number: 6
Hi, there is someone recommend me to use Audioquest preamp jumper to replace the ordinary jumper came with the NAD integrated amp. The preamp jumper will somehow enhance the performance.

So my question is can i use a short coxial cable and terminated it with 750hm connector, take it as preamp jumper cable. Can reach the same effect?

Anybody know the specification for audioquest preamp jumper, for comparison purpose.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 54
Starbucks,

"So my question is can i use a short coxial cable and terminated it with 750hm connector, take it as preamp jumper cable."

Yes you can. I'm assuming that when you say "75Ohm connector" you mean an RCA connector.

"Can reach the same effect?"

Unlikely. There is no guarantee that swapping out the factory supplied jumpers with some unnamed coax cable and connectors of unknown quality will result in any improvement in sound quality. Your results in sound quality improvement or degradation will depend on the quality of the cable used, the quality of the connectors, and the quality of the crimp or solder connection between the cable and connectors.

"Anybody know the specification for audioquest preamp jumper, for comparison purpose."

Audioquest describes the construction of many of their cables on their web site, but probably not well enough to duplicate their cables in a DIY job. It seems to me there is a lot of marketing jargon thrown around to make a simple product appear technical and complex. Also, if you go the DIY route, do some research before diving in. There are web sites that have detailed descriptions for the construction of DIY interconnects that will sound good. Otherwise, be prepared to go through a fair amount of trial and error. You're almost as likely to build up something that sounds worse as you are to build something that sounds better.

I will add that I do own the Audioquest jumpers and I have been using them with a NAD C372 for almost 2 years now. I have occasionally swapped them out to try out different interconnects, some of them quite expensive, as well as the original jumpers in their place, yet these remain my favorite.

The following link keeps popping up in the adverts on your thread:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=11799&FEID=191&PMNID=240&srccode=c ii_13736960&cpncode=08-6729002-2

Here's a suggestion. Order these jumpers and try them out. Give them a week to break in, and for you to get used to how they sound. Use any method of testing you care to use whether blind A-B or casually swapping and listening. If you hear an improvement, your system setup and your ears are sensitive to the sonic differences cables can make. You will likely experience as much or more of an improvement by getting better interconnects and speaker cables. If you don't hear any improvement, don't bother with expensive cables, and you will have learned the lesson for the princely sum of about $30.

Username: Starbucks

Post Number: 8
Hi ctanaka,

Thanks for your valuable comments.Exactly, the audioquest pre-amp jumper is not cheap. $30 for that super short cables is a bit expensive (at least for me) :p

Anyway, i will try out a few ways and let u know the result one day. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 55
Starbucks,

You are certainly the only one who can make a determination about what you think is a fair price for any piece of audio gear. My main point which I may or may not have made clear is that whether you choose to buy pre-made cables or DIY, there is information about specific products and construction methods to guide you in obtaining some expected results. There's no harm in putting together some interconnects using whatever materials are available, but your mileage may (probably will) vary.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us