Cable Questions

Bronze Member
Username: Eddietfman

Hong Kong

Post Number: 14
What are the differences between a digital coaxial cable, digital video composite cable and analogue audio cable, since all these cables come with a RCA jack? If a wrong cable is pluged in place, what will be the impact on sound quality? For example, an analoge audio cable is used as a digital coaxial cable, or the other way round.

Unregistered guest
There is nothing inherently "digital" about a coax cable. Any cable with RCA connectors rated at 75 ohms will work for video, digital audio or analog audio.

Some cheaper RCA cables are only 50 ohm, so if you use those for digital audio, you may experience dropouts in sound.

If you have a spare video cable, I would suggest giving it a try. If you don't hear any audio dropouts, then I sincerely doubt you would hear any difference if you replaced it with a Monster (or other brand) "digital" cable.

Bronze Member

Hong Kong

Post Number: 15
Thanks Nathan for your info. I have heard that there is an 110 ohm coaxial cable from "Canare". What is the extra 35 ohm for? Would it be beneficial to digital audio only or both?

Unregistered guest
Unless you are using professional-grade equipment that uses the AES/EBU interface for digital audio, you don't need 110 ohm cabling. The SPDIF standard (which is the standard for most consumer equipment) requires a 75 ohm cable.

You probably already have a spare cable laying around that you could use. If not, you should be able to find what you need for under $10.

Bronze Member

Hong Kong

Post Number: 16
Thanks Nathan. One more question. Do you think that a $30 cable will perform noticeably better than a $10 cable does? Is it worth to spend extra $20 for a better cable? By the way, I will not consider anything beyond $30.

Unregistered guest
No, but there are some who will disagree with me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us