Speaker wire dilemma

Username: Thanatos

Post Number: 1
I've got a new surround speaker system that uses speaker wires (24 gauge) with RCA plugs on one end (to connect to the amp/sub) and has bare wires on the other to connect the the terminals (regular positive/negative style clips) on the speakers.

Problem is, the supplied speaker wires aren't long enough for the rear speakers and I don't know what I should do.

I can get 16ft RCA male/female extensions, but I really don't want to add more 24awg wire because Im hesitant to use 24 gauge wire to start with, and adding a 16 foot extension to a 25 foot wire just sounds like a bad idea.

In fact I'd PREFER to replace the whole bunch of wires with 16 gauge, but I've been unable to find any with RCA plugs anywhere (just more crappy 24awg with RCA.)

The only thought I'm left with (other than extension) is possibly cutting the existing wire near the plugs, and splicing it to 16 gauge for the rest of the runs. Is this a good idea? Am I looking at any signal problems doing this?

So unless anyone can point out some high quality ready-made speaker wire with RCA plugs, or a way to have RCA plugs put onto speaker wire... those are the only options I can think of.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1116
It is a very good idea to make your own from better gauge wire and new RCAs. :-)

Post Number: 2
Should have clarified: the end of the speaker wire with the RCA plug is a SINGLE RCA plug on the wire (with regular positive/negative bare wire on the other end.)

I've looked for info on this and haven't been able to find anything anywhere on how it is done... but I'm sure it requires some kind of special RCA plug and soldering.

So I'm back to square one.... either use extensions, or cut the first 6 inches or so (with the RCA plug) of the 24 gauge wire and splice it to 16 for the rest of the length.....

Post Number: 3
Just found this:

http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/iec/L7422-01?TjCqsUcI;;11

Something like that is exactly what I'm looking for. Though I'd prefer 16awg over 18awg, I suppose 18 is better than 24. Would also be nice to have a single cable run without having to splice, but this looks like my best bet so far.

Thoughts?

(Note: have to cppy/paste the URL as the auto format is breaking it)

Post Number: 4
Couple more thoughts/questions (sorry for the disjointed posts, doing lots of searching and research here.)

I'm pretty sure this adapter is my best bet, unless I can find one with 16awg wire. Which brings me to the quesion: is 18 gauge "good enough?" My longest run will be about 30-35 feet.

And should I stick with splicing 18 gauge wire to the 18 gauage wired adapter, or splice 16 gauge to the adapter? Don't know what kind of signal problems that might introduce.

Only other possilbe option I can think of, if using 16awg with dual RCA plugs on them, and connecting them to some kind of adapter (2 RCA in, one RCA out... is there such a thing?)

My primary concern is getting things to work and getting the best sound quality possible.

Also, as I'm a newbie at this stuff (if you couldn't tell) any tips on splicing (do I solder it? twist and electrical tape?) would be welcome. Also I've read that speaker wires should remain the same length for sets (IE rear speakers, side speakers, and front speakers should all have the same length cables for each set) correct?

Thanks again for any help/hints/insight.

Username: Computerduck

Maryland

Post Number: 1
I would use 16 gauge wire all the way and splice in your 16 gauge rca end connector using a good crimp-on connector.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QKkbFc3ynFw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=139200&I=119MTMB

Those are just examples of 16 gauge connectors and all you do is put the end of the wires in each end of the connector, and crimp at each end. This would ensure a good connection.

BTW, here is all the 16 gauge wire you need:
http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=CAUS1ZCB

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 25
George B,

Those are banana plugs, not RCA connectors.

Mike,

There's a whole selection of RCA connectors available at Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=252&MenuName=Phono%20Connectors&FromM enu=y&doy=18m1&worldid=2), or RadioShack (http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG% 5F011%5F003%5F001%5F011&Page=1).

HTH :D

Anonymous

which is the negative /positive in a male RCA

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2575
negative is usually the outside and the positive is the inside pin.

Username: Computerduck

Maryland

Post Number: 2
Correction Craig Chambers - those are end-to-end connectors to join bare ends of wire. I was not pointing out RCA connectors.

Jay Q
Unregistered guest
correction george b,

those are crimp-on banana plugs not end-to-end connectors for bar wire ends.....

Jay Q
Unregistered guest
correction george b,

those are crimp-on banana plugs not end-to-end connectors for bare wire ends.....

joe mack
Unregistered guest
I found rca type jacks that fit 16 gauge wire. I needed to solder the + wire through a hollow pin. The - wire is wrapped and put through a opening to hold it while you screw the outside part that also has a hollow tip that goes over the other part and there you go. I used it on some older speakers that had plugs for rca jacks. They are heavy duty stainless steel, about 5 bucks apiece. I'll be doing it for my subwoofer as well.

Unregistered guest
Joe Mack - care to share the store where you found the jacks?

shak
Unregistered guest
u guys are ho mo se xual
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us