Directional RCA Cables...

Steve
In all of my past experiences, RCA cables didn't really care which way the signal was travelling, but now it seems like every cable is a "directional" cable. Would someone please shed some light on what really makes this a one-way cable?

To get to the real point...I want to cut this cable in half and hard-wire each pieces to their respective output sources. Am I really going to loose a noticeable amount of sound quality on the section sending a "wrong-way" signal?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Looking at cables yesterday I read a package that said the direction is the result of the direction of the shielding.

superfecta
I have seen that stuff and unless they have changed the laws of physics,it makes no difference.The difference in the direction of the shielding should not make a difference,it should have the same amount of shielding the entire length to prevent noise interferrence.

Derek
Directional cables are a marketting gimmick. The electrons of an AC audio signal do not "flow" into a component, they are pushed and pulled into each other and the preamp "detects" and amplifies that.

What do the cables manufactures think will happen if we connect the cable "backwards" - there will be some type of resistance? That's called a diode.

We are not talking about changing the polarity of a signal, just the end of the cable. Try swapping the ends of the coax going to your cable box/satelite receiver. Deos it still work?

Steve
Right on. Thanks for your input, but my struggles continue...

I have an existing component that has (2)hardwired Male RCA outputs(L/R). Inside the existing wire insulation is another wire (insulated) and a bare braided wire (ground). I am in the process of replacing these wires, but when I pull the insulation off of the new wires, I have 3 wires (red, white, and a bare wire). The colored wires are a lesser gauge than the original wire.

Can I use this cable? If so, how should I wire it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Steve
It seems as though I have:

Existing- High impedance cable (1 conductor/1 ground)

Trying to replace with- Low impedance balanced cable (2 conductor/1 ground)

Will this work? or do i need to use a single conductor wire?

Steve
So this is what I think...

if I wire the tip to (+) and the sleeve & ground to (-) then I should have the correct wiring.

Any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us