Diffuser close behind listener

Username: Fripp1

Amherst, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm a new member. I've just begun the task of trying to optimize my listening room and upgrading my gear.

I've got a 12 x 15 room give or take a few inches either way. The long side is open except for a 3' wall coming out of the corner. That corner is home to one speaker (not jammed in there but out 2+ feet on both dimensions). Opposite that corner I have two "stuffed" loveseats at 90 degrees--that is, one on the long wall and one "on" the short wall, with a corner table. But "on" is relative because both table and loveseat "on" that wall are moved off the wall by a couple of feet. My listening is done on the loveseat "on" the short wall (and opposite the speakers, duh)about 5 feet off the corner w/the corner table. The ears are located about 29 or 30 inches from the rear wall. I don't have more room to move the seating further toward the speakers and in any case my triangle seems pretty optimal now.

The speakers toe in forming equal angles w/each other to the listener. The listening axis is angled slightly away from the open wall toward the loveseats. I was playing with some corrugated boxes yesterday--folding them up into accordion shapes (floor to ceiling height) and moving them around the room and was quite impressed with the difference I was able to create in the quality of the sound. The sound was helped by putting an "accordion" behind the loveseat I sit in. So, question: I want to put a diffuser behind the loveseat--one that looks like something because it's a nice space. Suggestions? I was looking at the Auralex pArtScience SpaceArray. (I can build something like that a hell of a lot cheaper.) Or would I be better off with a bookshelf sort of thing? I could also create something like the accordion design, but stagger the angles of the wood (I think I'd put the accordion folds vertically.) What's the best configuration of diffuser to use when the ears are so close to the wall behind? Ideas anyone? Thanks.

Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 8
I would also not forget the value of using a nice big plant. They actually make great diffusers. I don't know how much light you have in that room, but from the way I have my room set up I used to get this nasty reflection from right next to almost a little behind my chair. Not wanting to spend any money I just started moving around the accessories I all ready owned. The plant actually worked the best both sound wise and looks wise with in the room.
Here's the link to the plant I use, also known as umbrella plant. Mine gets the low light end of its requirements, but it won't die. Very hardy, sometimes I forget to water it for weeks and it's still fine.

http://www.evergrowing.com/tips/schefflera.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Willieman

PR USA

Post Number: 54
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums