22 gage cable for subwoofer?

Bronze Member
Username: Sip

Post Number: 16
Any problem in using 24 feet 22 gage cable for subwoofer? My concern is is whther the cable is too long (24') for its thickness (22 gage). Will there be any audible difference between this cable and a Moster subwoofer cable?

Lester
Unregistered guest
22 awg wire for a line level sub feed is fine as long as it's shielded.

You can also use RG-59 coax instead of the Monster.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3969

If you are using a 22 gauge interconnect cable as a line level connection, you should be fine and the cable should be shielded. Between this connection and the Monster, I would give the edge to the prepared cable from Monster.

If you are using this gauge as a speaker level connection there is no need for shielding but you should step up to at least an 18AWG cable or thicker if your system is capable of more than 3 amps of current.

You can use the RG59 as an interconnect; but why would you for a 24' run? The RG59 is stiffer than standard interconnects or speaker cable so it won't go where you want it as easily. And if you can't afford 24' of 18 AWG cable, you should reconsider placement of the system.

Username: Fredvh

Wrightwood, CA USA

Post Number: 1
You convinced me! Component video is the way to go. I am going from dish network box (av or s-video outputs only) AND from vcr (av outputs only) AND from dvd player (av or s-video or component outputs) all to a DVD recorder which has only av and s-video inputs. That same recorder has all 3 outputs (av, s-video and component), any of which has a receptor in my new Panasonic lcd TV.

My question is: Will it do me any good to use a component cable set from the DVD Recorder to the TV when the DVD recorder's best inputs are AV (vcr) and s-video (dish network box & DVD Player)?

Thanks,
Fred

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3981

How did you get from subwoofers to being convinced component video is best? If you play a DVD on your recorded, you will want component hookup.

Username: Fredvh

Wrightwood, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Evidently I did not reply to the thread to which I thought I was replying. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll try again. I believe I may have asked more questions than you answered; but I appreciate your trying.

Thanks,
Fred
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us