Owens Corning 703 with "wood back"?

Username: Mike_l

Post Number: 6
I am a bit confused,

I was going to get some Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass board and mount them in a box leaving a space between the wall and the board as recommended.

But I have just read this on ATS site...

"Q: Why do the panels have a solid wood back?

A: The 1/4" wood back provides strength for the panel, and makes it easy to hang the panels on the wall, or attach hardware such as hinges, hooks, or other hangers."

What would be the use of leaving a space between the fiber board and the wall if the 1/4 in wood back is in the way?

Bah...some one clarify this
Thanks.

Michele

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1117
The pannel absorbs the sound waves from frontal impact. I would recommend that you use some sort of felt like the kind between kitchen cabinet doors and the face frames to dampen vibration.

Username: Scott_r_foster

Jacksonville, FL US

Post Number: 2
michele:

Forget building backs to the the frames. The purpose of the frame is to give a place to attach upholstery and the hanging hardware. Any materials used in excess of these requirements is uneccessary and just makes the unit heavier, and masks the absorbent from exposure to the air mass of the room - lowering the material's effectiveness as an absorber.

A light weight rectangular frame with a cross brace or two is amply suffiecient for all acoustics and mechanical needs [2x2's work fine].

The only reason to opt for something more substantial is if you want to build pretty hardwood boxes - an aesthetic decision - but even in that case, a full panel back to the unit would not be useful in any way I can see.

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 134
Here:: try this.
From youtube, but don't let that throw you.

simple/easy DIY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us